Talk

Advanced search

Cat flaps

(10 Posts)
IAmAPaleontologist Fri 31-Mar-17 18:33:04

Can I have some cat flap recommendations please? To go in a new composite door and don't want anything flimsy.

The cat is microchipped, are the posh micro chip ones worth it?

Do NOT want anything that needs a magnetic tag as the cat loses collars so we've given up on them.

Thank you

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Fri 31-Mar-17 18:45:28

We've been very impressed with our Sureflap microchip one, our cats can get in but the neighbours cats can't (and they would, one of them frequently comes in if we have the patio doors open).

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 31-Mar-17 20:01:17

I second the Sureflap microchip flap. Ours is one that can go through a double glazed door, getting the hole in the glass cut cost an awful lot more than the flap itself! It gives me peace of mind to know that only our cats can get in.

NameNotANumber Fri 31-Mar-17 20:40:43

Another vote for the Sureflap - our cats can get in and the neighbours cats can't - and boy do they try!

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 31-Mar-17 20:49:23

Cheers, will have a look

BerylStreep Fri 31-Mar-17 20:49:40

We have the Cat Mate one that works on the cat's microchip.

It's great, although battery operated and quite heavy on the batteries. It's not a problem - we have rechargeable batteries (I can't remember if it is 4 or 6 AA batteries).

I would recommend it. Also, it isn't draughty which I was a bit worried about.

mycatloveslego Fri 31-Mar-17 20:55:48

We currently have a sureflap. It's battery operated so no wires. It stopped the neighbours cat getting in and all hell breaking loose.
Previously we've had a Petporte. The main difference is that it can be plugged into the mains and has a light sensor so you can set it to open/close at dusk/dawn if you prefer your cats to stay in at night.

Mermaidinthesea Sat 01-Apr-17 10:25:38

The microchip ones are wonderful. I had to rehome one of my cats with a friend as the other two relentlessly bullied her.
He bought her a microchip cat flap so that she would feel safe in her new home and she loves it.
Now she knows she has a safe haven if she is chased by other cats she is a completely different cat and so happy.

JigglyTuff Sat 01-Apr-17 10:29:55

Another vote for the SureFlap microchip one although get a white one, not a brown one as the brown one needs a reflective sticker to work and my cats kept tearing it. But SureFlap have amazing customer service so they replaced it after almost a year with a white one absolutely free! smile

Archfarchnad Sat 01-Apr-17 10:40:09

Sureflap all the way. Our battery use has been great too - the first batch lasted nearly two years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now