We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Honestly, I just need some kind words

(15 Posts)
saladsmoothie Thu 30-Mar-17 20:45:45

We had a massive, unexpected change of circumstances and as a result are moving to the other side of the world. We're moving from a chaotic developing country to a very strict place (imagine moving from Pakistan to Switzerland). So my babies have had to go in to quarantine. It's 180 days.

My first reaction was of course they would come with us. They're family. Didn't consider anything but taking them, come what may.

Now we're into the process I feel horrible. My poor babies are frightened in a glass box and they don't understand. I'm starting to think it would have been kinder to rehome them with a neighbour.

I know logically that it's a short time of stress for a lifetime of being safe and loved, but right now i just feel sad and guilty and I miss them and it's hard.

They haven't even done the flight yet. God. I feel so awful putting them through this.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:51:54

I'd take mine with me too. What if you rehomed them & the new owners didn't take care of them.

saladsmoothie Thu 30-Mar-17 20:55:19

Exactly. Or passed them on. We might not know where they ended up.
But oh, this bit is really horrid.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:57:21

Of course you couldn't leave them! I know a couple of cats that have been through quarantine. They didn't enjoy it but emerged unscathed.

therealpippi Thu 30-Mar-17 20:57:56

I know someone who did that and her cats are absolutely fine now. If I could post a photo she send me...

I'd feel the same as you. But thry don't know you've done it to them. They'll be so happy to see you again.

Reow Thu 30-Mar-17 21:02:43

flowers

How hard for you. But you must be strong and get through it and you'll have them back with you in a while. I'd do the same. Why so long?

You need winewinewine

saladsmoothie Thu 30-Mar-17 21:06:04

It's helpful to hear other cats have emerged unscathed.

Good point also that they don't know this is my fault.

I miss them. It's not home without them, anmoying little buggers that they are.

They're street cats really. Utterly dependant on us, but with a wild streak. They seemed so much more frightened than the plump, fluffy, squish faced cats in the other crates.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:06:50

Dh's neighbour rehomed a cat to one of Dhs friends and the friend sold him!.

Considering cats live 20 years 6 months is nothing. Can you take toys in and catnip?.

saladsmoothie Thu 30-Mar-17 21:08:53

God, sorry, that sounded mean about the other cats. I don't mean to be unkind - the other cats just seemed so much more solid and calm and relaxed, while mine were terrified. I'm probably projecting.

saladsmoothie Thu 30-Mar-17 21:11:59

Thank you Reow. It's long because it's really complicated. We're moving from a country with rabies to an island. We're having to export them first to an approved country and then on to us.

Fluffy I wish i could visit! I'm not even in the same country right now.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:12:34

When I put ours in the cattery all the other cats are chilled & mines sitting with his back to the world.

A week later he's chilling on a tree stump perch watching the horses being groomed like its a natural history program.

Trustyourself2 Thu 30-Mar-17 22:27:25

It's a long time without them but better for them long term. Imagine a life without them - impossible. Just keep thinking of the day you bring them home. What a day that will be. When will you be able to visit them?

thecatneuterer Thu 30-Mar-17 22:40:31

They will be better off with you in the long run. They will forget about the quarantine experience. Can't you get them a pet passport though to avoid quarantine? (Or maybe that only applies to certain countries - I have no idea).

saladsmoothie Fri 31-Mar-17 08:53:33

Thanks everyone. I know it's all for the best really.

Gosh I can't wait to see them again, my furry little monsters.

therealpippi Fri 31-Mar-17 20:36:09

Btw, I'll be as devasted as you and I'll miss them as much. But they'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now