Talk

Advanced search

where to find a new kitten

(19 Posts)
freshstart24 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:46:25

I've recently lost my two beloved old cats, at almost 20. I miss them so much and they will never be replaced but am looking for a new kitten.

I know there are unwanted adults out there, and I've adopted my last 5 cats as adults but this time would like a kitten.

I have had no luck finding a kitten on a rescue site. I don't know where to start with trying to buy in privately- I don't want to buy from anyone unscrupulous or who is not interested in cat welfare.

I'm based in the East Midlands.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Mar-17 19:47:27

Can't you wait for kitten season to start? There will be loads in rescue then.

freshstart24 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:49:22

I didn't know there was a kitten season. Tell me more....

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Mar-17 19:50:50

There absolutely is! April until autumn. Worth registering interest with rescues and hanging on a bit. We have two gorgeous rescue tortie kittens.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:51:40

Give it a month or so and rescues will be bursting at the seams with kittens. Some will let you put your name on a waiting list. I'm S West and the first litters of the "season" are already appearing

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:21:59

They don't always put kittens on the websites, they go pretty fast.

You could take two.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Mar-17 20:27:44

Oh yes. Two is a most excellent idea! We adopted adult cats first time round. Kittens are completely different. Two together means that some of the attacking won't be directed at you! grin

JigglyTuff Thu 30-Mar-17 20:28:04

Put your name down at RSPCA/cats protection etc. Then they can carry out home check now and you can be ready to go when kitten season begins. They will drive you bonkers but they will be adorable smile

freshstart24 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:20:31

Thank you. I've kept cats all my life (although most have been adult rescues and I didn't know about the kitten season blush.

I work 3 days a week, 9-4, but could alter this to five shorter days. How would I best fit this around a kitten? DS would be home from school by 3 which would help.

I would rather not get two as we are hoping to also get a puppy.

thecatneuterer Thu 30-Mar-17 23:38:35

Exactly, wait for kitten season. We are currently overwhelmed with cats giving birth all over the place at the moment - in gardens/sheds/factories - you name it. They are all going into foster and will be ready for homing in around ten weeks time.

Two kittens are less trouble than one. They can entertain themselves, comfort each other and play together. One kitten, removed from it's mother and siblings, will be very distressed and need full on almost 24 hour attention. Two is a much kinder and easier option.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Mar-17 23:41:11

We have two. And a puppy!

thecatneuterer Thu 30-Mar-17 23:43:03

Oh, and rescues often don't put kittens on the website as they come in an go out reasonably quickly. But they often have them even if they are not publicised. So just get yourself on the list for a home check and you will be ready for when they have kittens ready for homes.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 31-Mar-17 07:35:28

Definitely get two. And don't bother with a puppy. Cat's are far better. grin

JigglyTuff Fri 31-Mar-17 08:21:52

I'd get two and many rescues won't home kittens singly anyway. Also, you can leave two kittens for much longer periods than you can a puppy. Puppies need to wee every 20 mins or so which you can't do if you're working.

If you swapped to shorter days, when would you be home?

Vinorosso74 Fri 31-Mar-17 09:23:36

Yes, not all cats and kittens are on the websites so contact the rescues. The CP I'm at had 3 kittens come in the other week, think they were about 12 weeks old but have gone into foster care and will be homed once they're neutered. I've seen a few older kittens/young cats (up to a year old) come in and get homed since I started in January so there are some around.

isseywithcats Fri 31-Mar-17 16:22:35

agree with everyone else get onto waiting list for kitten with rescues now i foster for yorkshire cat rescue and we probably have about ten cats currently in foster with little ones who will be ready for adoption in the next few weeks, look on facebook for cat rescues near to you as usually they advertise on there kitten season used to be april till september but with milder winters it seemsa to extend to most of the year with probably february being the only month of the year that we dont have many kittens for adoption

TheCakes Fri 31-Mar-17 20:31:53

Kittens are pretty low maintenance really. They are scratchy, bitey little things, but you should be ok with your work. Mine sleeps for most of the day.
There will be loads around in a month or so.

BagelGoesWalking Fri 31-Mar-17 20:47:47

Join any FB groups run by rescues. As others have said, you don't always see kittens on websites, bit fb groups are much more to date and interactive.

You can also post your request and sort out homechecks - response times are usually better via fb as well.

FunkinEll Fri 31-Mar-17 21:15:23

When we got our two tiny kittens in the new year, they were not on the website, you had to actually go into the centre to discover them. I've found having two to be great, they entertain one another and keep each other company when we're not around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now