Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat urinating on beds, please help!

(20 Posts)
Wildernesswandering Thu 30-Mar-17 14:25:47

Our 6 month old ragdoll keeps peeing on the beds! She has 2 litter trays, I have used feliway sprays on the bedding. Is there anything else I can do, I currently have 4 duvets that need cleaning?! Thanks for any advice anyone can give!!!

thecatneuterer Thu 30-Mar-17 15:53:27

Where are the trays in relation to the bedroom? Same floor? What room/s? I think you need to keep her out of the bedroom for starters.

Wildernesswandering Thu 30-Mar-17 16:37:40

It's a bungalow so the litter trays are on one floor and nearby. She's a house cat so I want her to have as much space as possible, which is why we don't keep her out of bedrooms. As she is a ragdoll she needs company and attention And gets distressed if we keep her out of our room over night. DH has just gone to get a third litter tray...

thecatneuterer Thu 30-Mar-17 16:40:29

Well I'm a bit stumped then. Have you ruled out cystitis?

eddiemairswife Thu 30-Mar-17 16:41:54

Once cats have weed on something the smell seems to linger even after washing, so they go there again. (I speak from bitter experience).

Wildernesswandering Thu 30-Mar-17 18:33:01

I'm a bit stumped too but will try the litter tray in bedroom. I sprayed the feliway on the bed and she peed on it again so maybe I shouldn't do that? Thank you for replying...

HermioneJeanGranger Fri 31-Mar-17 10:51:14

I assume she's the only cat?

I agree that once a cat has peed somewhere, they'll pee again unless you've managed to get rid of the smell completely. Our kitten peed on the carpet the first day we got her, and the only solution was to cut up the carpet! Luckily we're doing building work at the moment so the carpet wasn't a permanent fixture.

Have you ruled out things like cystitis?

Wildernesswandering Fri 31-Mar-17 12:31:25

Not ruled out cystitis yet but I will get her checked this afternoon. It's not just our bed although she has done it several times on out bed. Since last night, she has now also peed on my ds bed so now every bed in the house has been targeted! It is a huge problem to be honest trying to wash and dry all that bedding! It's a good thing she's so adorable!

BathTangle Fri 31-Mar-17 12:37:23

What kind of litter are you using? I kept finding my cat peeing in the house and someone suggested changing the litter to the woodchip stuff rather than the granules. It seems to have worked, along with spraying Odour Out (from Lakeland) on the places she had peed in the house.

HermioneJeanGranger Fri 31-Mar-17 13:18:25

And YY to woodchip litter. None of my cats have liked the clumping stuff, but they've all gotten on fine with the wood stuff.

Jonsnowsghost Fri 31-Mar-17 13:23:42

Have a read of this, is pretty long but covers everything! www.petforums.co.uk/threads/is-your-cat-peeing-or-pooing-in-the-house-this-is-the-house-soiling-thread.371806/

My ragdoll also peed on my bed when I first got him but he was small and excited so only did it the once smile I made sure he knew where the tray was after that!

yeahyeahyeahmama Fri 31-Mar-17 13:32:31

Try putting a couple of drops of thyme essential oil on the bed cats hate this

mrsBeverleygoldberg Fri 31-Mar-17 13:43:04

My cat did this when she had cystitis.

beekeeper17 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:51:01

No real advice for you I'm afraid but our cat started doing this all of a sudden last year. We took him to the vet and they ruled out an infection etc. In the end we put it down to changes around the house which had unsettled him, basically he was used to having the house to himself most of the day and I was now at home during the day. It was awful and I did lots of washing of bedsheets, duvets and sofa covers. He just stopped doing it after about 6 weeks and thankfully hasn't done it again since.

Wildernesswandering Fri 31-Mar-17 14:21:22

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I hate to keep her out of the bedrooms but it's impossible to keep up with the washing! I'm off to buy some wood chip litter! Thank you!

Toddlerteaplease Sat 01-Apr-17 09:17:56

One of my Persians did this on the sofa when I first got her. Turned out the litter in the tray was not deep enough for her.

Mermaidinthesea Sat 01-Apr-17 10:21:59

I've only just got my lot to stop toileting ALL over the house following a domestic upheaval and divorce.
I had to get a litter tray for every single room and an aquavac to clean up the mess. I bought a large container of urine neutraliser off Amazon and even put that in with the bedding in the washing machine. It's essential to kill the residual smell.
After some weeks they have FINALLY stopped doing it and I felt like cracking open the champagne.

Iloveanimals Sat 01-Apr-17 11:02:53

I took in a cat that was constantly doing this. Owner didn't want her anymore and so she would have been given to a shelter. I was very nervous at first because obviously I didn't want her doing it on my beds lol.
Now, although I'm no expert (though I am studying animals before I go to uni) you might want to try the following things that I tried with my cat that worked.
Firstly my cat was diagnosed with Css which means cat stress disorder, symptoms include excessive yowelling, peeing outside litter box, excessive grooming etc. This was sorted by completly calming her environment, speaking in soft gentle voices and allowing her to fully rest for a few days. Now, regarding toilet issues. I treated her like a toddler.
Yes I kept taking her to the litterbox and placing her inside it, making sure her paws touched and got used to the feel of it. I did this several times a day. I even got down with her, putting my hand in the litter and showed her now to cover it if she used it (no I did not pee in it) grin
I tell you op with practice and patience it worked. Maybe worth a try for you? But of course please take her to be checked out by vet if symptoms don't Improve. Hope that helped a bit...

Stilllookingforthestars Sat 01-Apr-17 11:04:18

The only way I could sort this was by leaving an old towel in the bathroom I knew they'd wee on (and washing it afterwards! I alternated towels!)

It's a bit grim but there is nothing worse than getting into your freshly made bed and feeling a wet patch and knowing what's happened!

Wildernesswandering Sat 01-Apr-17 12:55:55

Thanks everyone! I took her to the vets yesterday who suspects she may have crystals as she has increased protein in the urine but no cystitis. There may also be a behavioural element and the vet explained that she very much sees our bedroom as hers and we are therefore her guests!

She has been put on Hills urinary diet pouches (£11.99 for 12 - gulp!) and has some herbal calming tablets(?). She now has 3 trays deeply filled with wood chip litter, including one in our, sorry, her room. Not pretty but better than cats pee on the bed!

Thanks to everyone, hopefully by coming from all angles, we can have her back to normal soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now