Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hairballs

(7 Posts)
chemenger Thu 30-Mar-17 11:15:21

My current foster has a problem with hairballs and associated puking. Obviously this can only happen on a pale coloured carpet rather than on the available tile floors. I've never had a cat with this problem to this extent, he's a semi-long haired cat , all mine have been short haired. I know there are things that can help him, but what do people recommend?

fuzzywuzzy Thu 30-Mar-17 11:17:15

Will he let you brush him? That cuts down on hairballs in ours.

Cant suggest any medication as ours refuse to eat hairball 'treats', they just know.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 30-Mar-17 11:44:56

My long haired Persians have Royal Canin Persian food. It's designed to cut down on hair balls. I've never had one from either of them.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 30-Mar-17 11:58:43

You can also get hairball paste. One of my colleagues uses it on her long hair abs says it works really well. My little beasts refused to eat it.

chemenger Thu 30-Mar-17 13:12:38

He does allow brushing but not, under any circumstances his tummy. He is obsessed with rubbing his face on the brush (he came with one of those wire brushes) to the extent that it is difficult to groom the rest of him. I will have a look for hairball paste. He may be leaving us this weekend grin at last, but it would be good to hand him on with a possible solution to this. I will suggest trying the hairball food to his new mum.

Allergictoironing Thu 30-Mar-17 18:23:12

I feed my indoor cats Royal Canin Indoor dry food, with the occasional (about 1 in 5) portion of the anti-hairball version. Fingers crossed, and touching every bit of wood within reach, I haven't yet had a hairball in 10 months.

OK mine are short haired, but the clouds of soft fluff that drift around the house suggests they do shed plenty!

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:18:22

Old girl was a hairball machine. I used Hills senior anti-hairball food, which helped a bit. She didn't like the paste but what she was rather partial to was liquid paraffin! I think it must have a very neutral taste. Only 3 or 4 ml though or you will get a laxitive effect. Vet suggested it and worked pretty well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now