We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sexing cats (Not a fetish, honest)

(13 Posts)
YetAnotherSpartacus Wed 29-Mar-17 11:59:59

I was going to post this in ABIU, but decided it might be less weird here.

Can someone explain to me how, when given only a quick glance, one can tell the sex of a cat (assuming puss has had the fun bits removed)?

I've read all the info about looking for : or ; or whatever, but I really can't tell under fur and I have offended some kitties by holding tails and peering short sightedly for too long with a diagram and a ruler.

Am I the only one who can't do this easily? Or am I just slow? was the last in my class to find out where babies come from.

Photo diagrams welcome!

thecatneuterer Wed 29-Mar-17 14:05:46

It helps to have two to compare really. But once adult even a neutered male will still have the remnants of his balls, so it's fairly easy, and only the one very obvious hole.

The females have two obvious holes close together.

When very young the males appear to have two obvious holes but they are further apart.

When adult the females tend to have softer, thinner, more delicate faces. And males, even neutered ones, tend to strut around whereas the females walk more gracefully.

Unneutered adult males develop tom cheeks - so very wide cheeks.

But some adult females look like males and vice versa, so the only totally sure way is to look at the bits.

YetAnotherSpartacus Wed 29-Mar-17 14:15:49

Thanks catneuterer. I know there is a male on my street, so I will attempt to look for remnants of fluffy balls hope I won't offend him it all seems rather rude

thecatneuterer Wed 29-Mar-17 14:29:38

Ha ha. Every time I meet a strange cat on the street the first thing I do is feel for balls. It's a good thing that cats don't have a sex offenders register.

isupposeitsverynice Wed 29-Mar-17 14:31:43

I have had a good chuckle at the mental image of you groping all the cats down your road, thank you grin

isseywithcats Wed 29-Mar-17 21:28:15

with adult cats generally speaking one finger width between holes is female two finger widths between holes is male

YetAnotherSpartacus Thu 30-Mar-17 10:01:37

I don't know that I'd be game for an actual grope ... I need my hands for the job I do for a start.

I've also not had one stay still long enough for the finger trick...

So what's this one (got off Cheezburger just now).

thecatneuterer Fri 31-Mar-17 13:45:28

Assuming that's an adult it's female. Two obvious holes, close together.

FrizzBombDelight Fri 31-Mar-17 14:15:10

Is it true that males have bigger paws?

thecatneuterer Fri 31-Mar-17 14:50:56

Frizz - not that I've noticed. Paws seem to relate to the size of the cats and there are big and small cats (and paws) of both sexes. (I've just done a random sample of the 8 cats currently on my bed and that backs up what I've just said smile )

iklboo Fri 31-Mar-17 14:52:38

EIGHT CATS?! <envy> grin

Trustyourself2 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:15:14

That's a girly. Great shot!

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 01-Apr-17 00:38:21

That's female. Even if neutered males still have obvious fluffy scrotums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now