Talk

Advanced search

rescue vs kitten

(12 Posts)
Bleurghghghgh Tue 28-Mar-17 20:57:46

Hi,

Friend of a friend has a female Maine coon who is about to have her third litter. They've sold all previous kittens but she keeps 'accidentally' getting pregnant before they can spay her.

My friend is looking for a cat to keep indoors and is considering having (read: buying) a kitten from his friend but unsure about keeping a cat inside.

I've pointed him to rescue kitties with FeLV and FIV but he's not convinced.

Is there anything more I can do/any more info I can give? I get his wanting a baby but at the same time surely it makes more sense to rescue?!

DumbledoresApprentice Tue 28-Mar-17 21:02:50

Not much you can do. My rescue cat is a Maine Coon that someone let accidentally have kittens. They then took her to a rescue and kept one of the kittens instead. hmmangry

LouiseBrooks Tue 28-Mar-17 21:08:10

I agree with you but not sure what else you can say, other than suggest he goes to a cat rescue for a kitten, there are plenty around if he really wants one.

As for the owners of the Maine Coon I won't put into print what I think; they are obviously backyard breeders. I feel sorry for the poor cat.

Wolfiefan Tue 28-Mar-17 21:09:59

Cats don't accidentally get pregnant. confused
Rescues have kittens too.
Why an indoor cat? Can he cat proof the garden or get a run?

ittybittyluna Tue 28-Mar-17 21:12:28

I have fostered many, many cats and we live in a flat. We finally adopted one of our foster cats as he has a lot of problems, but he also is perfectly content living indoors. He doesn't bat an eye when the windows are open or when we leave the flat.

Another friend bought a moggie kitten from Gumtree under the mistaken notion that having never had a taste of the outdoors this kitten would be happy to live inside its whole life. She was completely wrong and the kitten tries to escape all the time. He desperately wants to go outside.

It makes far more sense to rescue an adult cat, content to live indoors, if you intend on keeping it inside because at least then you're somewhat reassured that the cat won't be unhappy.

**I totally support keeping purebred cats inside for their own safety though. Some are ripe for theft, and if keeping them inside (even if they are miserable) prevents them from being stolen then I think it needs to be done.

Bleurghghghgh Tue 28-Mar-17 21:30:38

Thanks guys. I agree but it's like banging my head against a brick wall.

I sent him a local 'overlooked' rescue cat page. He replied 'that breaks my heard' I said 'yes, this is why I disagree with people breeding cats

His response was

Wait for it

'I wouldn't worry about Cleo's kittens. Steve advertises them as pure breeds and sells them for like 300 quid. they are fairly in demand'

AAARGHHH

Bleurghghghgh Tue 28-Mar-17 21:31:01

Don't even care that I've left names in that post.

Bleurghghghgh Tue 28-Mar-17 21:32:08

I replied 'That's my problem; cats are dying in shelters because kittens are in demand. And then what happens to Cleo's kittens when they become cats and therefore less cute/people decide they don't want a cat any more/ move into somewhere where pets aren't allowed'

I'm ending this conversation now. Turns out you can't argue with stupid

EachandEveryone Tue 28-Mar-17 21:33:31

It's hard to rescue a kitten if you live in a flat. I've tried before.

Trustyourself2 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:52:16

Report them for overbreeding. Poor cat. What cruel and ignorant money grabbers.

Bleurghghghgh Tue 28-Mar-17 22:58:35

Huzzah, he gets it. Or at least gets how passionate I am about it enough to not mention them to me again.

I would report them but don't know enough about them. Will attempt to dig next time I see friend

Qwebec Thu 30-Mar-17 01:10:28

The only plus side of a kitten is that it is cute. The can be relly messy and destructive.

On the other hand, with an adult cat you can know its temperament, if it will be happy with you adn if it suits your life, it's already litter trained with a calmer disposition.

Honeslty I see anything above 2yo as a positive, the who wants to deal with a temperamental teenager when you can avoid it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now