Talk

Advanced search

What's the current view on cat collars?

(32 Posts)
AnotheBloodyChinHair Sun 26-Mar-17 09:55:27

The rescue centre where we got my 2 were very strongly against collars so we never bothered. Cats are now 1 year old and very friendly and sociable, constantly trying to enter other people's houses. I feel they would be safer with a collar & tag with my address or ten number. They are microchipped but an engraved tag would allow faster identification. I'd like to hear your views.

Penfold007 Sun 26-Mar-17 10:41:51

My cats have always worn safety collars with engraved tags without any issues.

derektheladyhamster Sun 26-Mar-17 10:43:58

Mine wears a quick release one with a bell. Cheap ones as they quite often snap off and get lost.

sluj Sun 26-Mar-17 10:44:32

Just don't bother spending too much on the first collar or getting an engraved disc straight away. My two attempts to use collars on my two cats were very unsuccessful. The most time either endured one was about 40 minutes. grin

Toddlerteaplease Sun 26-Mar-17 11:49:33

My two wore collars so I could tell them apart. Only problem was that they caused terrible matts in their long hair so they had to go.

ProfAnnieT Sun 26-Mar-17 11:53:36

My cats won't keep them on. They don't even last a day.

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-Mar-17 11:55:53

My cat lost 5 collars over the space of a few weeks. She would just come back without them and they were never found so I had to give up.

She looks very shiny and well fed and she has a microchip so I don't think she looks like a stray. And the whole neighbourhood know she's ours now.

I returned a cat to it's owners a few weeks ago. No collar but it was chipped and it had been missing for 8 months so chips work.

Asmoto Sun 26-Mar-17 11:57:28

I use safety collars with an engraved tag. I remove the bell that comes on them, as, putting myself in a cat's place, I'd be driven nuts by something tinkling round my neck all day. I once made the mistake of buying an expensive personalised collar and tag combo online, only for it to be lost within three weeks, so I stick to cheap ones now.

Orangebird69 Sun 26-Mar-17 12:00:08

Nope. An old cat of mine had a 'safety' collar. Came in one day with his front leg stuck through it. All mine are chipped. Although one of mine came home a few months ago with a collar on. 😂. I wrote on the collar what house he lived at and he hasn't appeared with another one since.

PhoenixJasmine Sun 26-Mar-17 12:00:52

Cheap safety collar, fitted correctly (not too lose or the safety catch won't open as easily).

I do have a bell on my youngest - because he's a menace and I like to know when he's about to ambush me, and when I can't see him out in the dark I can hear he's not far away!

Orangebird69 Sun 26-Mar-17 12:00:55

The five younger ones also have small tattoos inside their ears.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Sun 26-Mar-17 12:13:58

When I rescued my cat I loved the idea of a collar with my contact details on and a bell to save the birds (his chip is tagged back to the rescue organisation). My cat lost 2 collars within 6 months. One was returned to me by a neighbour and it was distorted and broken. I can only think my beautiful boy had got himself caught somewhere. He has never worn a collar since. Both of the collars were quick release from a reputable pet shop.

QuestionableMouse Sun 26-Mar-17 12:17:21

Nope, no collars on cats. They'll either get lost or the cat will get caught.

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 26-Mar-17 12:19:59

My cat ended up with a bald ring round her neck and that was with safety collars properly applied.

greenlipstick Sun 26-Mar-17 12:20:54

Nope. Mine is a climber so needs a quick release one which he'll just pull off anyway - otherwise it's a danger. The one time I tried to put it on I was lucky to escape with all my fingers.

I think collars are a selfish human invention and do not belong on cats!

GoodDayToYou Sun 26-Mar-17 12:27:51

I like a good-fitting, quick-release collar, with a bell. My cat is quite small so has to have a kitten collar - these bells tend to be quieter so do the job without spooking her or keeping us awake at night. If you can get one with reflective bits on, all the better.

TizzyDongue Sun 26-Mar-17 12:40:01

Occasionally here. Quick release (poundland). I write messages on them.

He gets fed else where and is at risk of become a Fat Cat so don't want him heavier he weights enough (6kg!!).

He is a big cat size wise, but I had him checked recently his shaped suggests he is the at the overweight edge of normal so need to moderate his food intake.

Vet suggested collar with 'medically controlled diet - do not feed' (as apparently people ignore 'The Cat has is fat - don't feed'

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 26-Mar-17 18:34:50

Even quick release collars can lead to horrific injuries that can take months to heal. I hate them on cats.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 26-Mar-17 18:58:42

Hold on, you can cats ears tattooed?

Where? I can see that being really useful.

Orangebird69 Sun 26-Mar-17 19:50:51

Mine are rescues from Saudi Fluffy. The vet that I used for TNR tattooed my 'keepers'. I honestly don't know if it can be done in the UK.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Sun 26-Mar-17 23:17:02

I also liked the idea of cat ear tattoos (assuming painless of course).

Orangebird69 Sun 26-Mar-17 23:47:37

childmaintenance mine were tattooed under anaesthetic after being neutered smile

DramaAlpaca Sun 26-Mar-17 23:56:56

I would never put a collar on a cat.

I think they are dangerous and unnecessary.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Mon 27-Mar-17 09:07:13

thank you Orange. My boy has already been done, so fingers crossed no more need for anaesthetic.

RitaMills Mon 27-Mar-17 14:38:43

Mine won't keep his on, it is a quick release one he has and he's worked out how to get it off hmm

I'm working on the theory that he's microchipped so if lost and found we will be reunited with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now