Talk

Advanced search

help - want a new cat.

(16 Posts)
lunaticperfect Sun 26-Mar-17 09:29:16

I am really stuck. I lost my beloved cat after 18 years at Christmas. To make matters worse, another one who I had taken in as a stray 18 months earlier died shortly afterwards. The vet tells me the second one was around 20. OK, so they were both old and both died peacefully and I didnt have to put them to sleep which was a blessing.

Now I am thinking of getting a new one. I would like an older cat not a kitten but I just dont know how to choose. It sounds daft.

I have been on the web sites. My last big boy came from cats protection . I looked and found one girl but she is 13 and having lost two so close recently, I am reluctant. I saw on a neighbouring Cats protection site they had a little girl called Angel and another called Daisy. Both around 3/4. but I don't think they will allow me to re home as I am out of their area.

Does anyone know if cats protection stick rigidly to their areas?

I looked at the RSPCA home but that is a long way from me - 70 miles or so. They have several cats around the right age but its rather a distance to go and see them - and a convoluted rural road.

Will they re home so far away?

All say they need home visits. If they are not near, I am not sure what they will do.

Also ( maybe a lesser issue). How do I choose from the lovely little boys and girls available?

OliviaStabler Sun 26-Mar-17 09:34:32

I am unsure of rehoming over distances but on the matter of choosing, make sure you know what you want from your new cat/s. Most good rescue centres will know the cats personality, so they can tell you who might be the best fit. So I'd ask yourself do you want lap cats or cats who like to be outdoors a lot etc.

Good luck and sorry for the loss of your cats flowers

Vinorosso74 Sun 26-Mar-17 09:49:32

I would contact them and see what they say as if you can provide the right home for a particular cat it wouldn't matter on the are you live in. CP do move cats to different adoption centres in order to get the cats homes.

passthewineplz Sun 26-Mar-17 09:53:37

Google cat rescue for your area, there might be some independent cat rescue centres nearer to you.

Hulder Sun 26-Mar-17 09:54:58

Have a look on www.catchat.org and see if there is a smaller rescue organization than the RSPCA or Cats Protection near you.

Also lots of people try to rehome older cats without using a rescue - sites like preloved.co.uk are full of people you can't keep their cats due to moving into pet-free rental or similar.

DumbledoresApprentice Sun 26-Mar-17 09:57:57

My cat came from a rescue centre an hour away so I'd still try the one out of area. My rescue came from the blue cross and they were great. I knew I wanted an adult but not an old cat and a longhair due to my allergies. It meant I had to look a bit further afield than just my local rescue to find the right cat.

lunaticperfect Sun 26-Mar-17 10:01:56

Thanks for the replies. I know I want an "older" cat and not a kitten. I work part time. My DH is semi retired/ self employed so he is often around at home.

I was thinking to have just one cat.

I would like a lap cat who wont roam far but I do have a large garden ( half an acre) in a rural location and we back onto 186 acres of fields to the back ( I also live on a quiet country lane - other than the tractors. An adult cat would be nice . I was thingking anything up to five years, mainly as the older a cat is the sooner they will have to go - lets face it, an elderly cat of 13 cant have many more than five years left can they?

But I wouldnt discount an older cat, I just worry about them being old and getting sick as my other two did. funny though, they were both so well until the final weeks, but I do know as I have had other cats who have been ill and needed lots of care for many months. Whilst I am not short of a penny or two, vet bills do mount up and insurance isnt available for old cats easily.

Unfortunately now, my nearest neighbours have two wolloping great dane dogs. Hence I dont want the cat to stray far. The other side have a terrier known for ratting and chasing cats. They are not near, but close enough given their dogs have free range of their gardens.

Hulder Sun 26-Mar-17 10:32:34

You will definitely manage to find a cat that age - I had a google for my local area on preloved just as an excuse to look at pics of cats blush and there are a few that age.

Lots of people get a cat and find out they are allergic - or have a child who then turns out to be allergic. Or move house, older person gets ill, loads of reasons.

Penfold007 Sun 26-Mar-17 10:47:35

Is there a cat rescue charity near you? Facebook is a good place to look. Might be worth contacting Celia Hammond Trust for suggestions. I'm not an RSPCA fan

Penfold007 Sun 26-Mar-17 10:50:17

Just thought, it's worth asking your local vet practice. My last but one rescue was one our vet asked if I'd take on.

hilbil21 Sun 26-Mar-17 10:54:52

Where do you live?

Toddlerteaplease Sun 26-Mar-17 11:46:27

I rehomed mine from a shelter 100 miles away. They usually want vets references etc which I didn't have but I think the fact I was willing to drive 100 miles to get them was enough to convince them I'd be ok. My boss recently rehomed from a CPL shelter that's about 40 miles away. So I think they will consider out of area.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 26-Mar-17 11:48:06

Adult cats are the best. Mine were 5 when I got them. Kittens are cute but I don't really get the attraction when there are so many older cats needing homes.

OliviaStabler Sun 26-Mar-17 11:52:07

Wood Green are very good, also Catcuddles Sanctuary.

lunaticperfect Sun 26-Mar-17 12:17:30

hilbil, I live in SE Cornwall. The RSPCA Cornwall is near Truro. There are a couple of sanctuaries in Plymouth but looking on their web sites neither seem to have a cat suitable for me. Most are much older.

I am not trying to be picky. Any boy or girl would do as long as they fit into being an affectionate and quite furball who likes a bit of outdoorsy but a lot of indoorsy. I would prefer one under 10 years old just because I get so upset when they pass on and leave me. I like a few years with them.

I am like a cat - I dont really like too much change.

I have favoured Cats Protection simply because my last boy came from them and he was healthy and long lived but they dont seem to have many cats available this time.

I have never been to the RSPCA before, although their centre seems to have a couple of boys who might fit. Its a long way for me to get a cat. I have asked OH to go out there next Saturday.

Allergictoironing Sun 26-Mar-17 13:03:54

Regarding choosing which one, you may well discover that it's the cat who chooses you rather than the other way round. I was right on the verge of getting 2 lovely gingers from the small rescue I got mine from, but went for just one last chat with another pair. This tiny elegant paw appeared and rested on my hand for just a few moments, and I was claimed in that time. Of course it took the bloody thing another 2 months before I could stroke her, but no question in my mind that it was more a case of HER (and by association her brother) choosing ME.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now