Talk

Advanced search

I just want to vent (cat rescue related)

(43 Posts)
thecatneuterer Thu 23-Mar-17 01:56:15

I can't sleep. I'm actually shaking with anger and despair. And I've just had a large glass of wine to calm my nerves (and I don't drink). I'm so fed up and rather drunk. It's actually a rare cat rescue job that isn't buggered up by horrible, horrible people.

So this particular one that's causing this upset. Last Summer I had a call from someone who had seen posters I had put up asking for info on another cat colony. They said they knew people who were feeding a colony in their garden and could I help. So I put a note through their door, and heard nothing, for two months.

Then I got a call from them to say that they had my note and that they had 10 kittens that had been born to two mothers in a kennel in their garden and could I take them away. So I took the kittens and trapped the two mothers plus one extra pregnant female. But there was a large colony (probably around 15 cats) so I said I would need to come back to trap and neuter the rest. I kept trying to arrange it and they kept saying they were busy. So eventually I gave up, but it gave me sleepless nights wondering what had happened to all those cats.

Then yesterday they called out of the blue to say that one of the cats was injured and could I come to get it. When I got there I saw there was a heavily pregnant cat, plus quite a lot more unneutered females. They agreed I could come back that evening to try to get the pregnant one. Which I did but she didn't go in the trap. I talked about making a plan to get all of the cats once I had her, and they agreed.

I went again tonight. Again I didn't quite manage to get her (all the others had gone in the trap but I had to get her first so as not to scare her). And then they said that I couldn't come back as now they would be 'too busy' until August. All they have to do is to open their front door and let me sit in their conservatory. That's it. But that's too much trouble and now there will be approximately another 20 kittens born in a few months time, and probably another 40 by August.

They feed the cats. They care enough to do that, but they don't care enough to open the front door for me occasionally. Fuck me I hate people. This sort of shit happens all the time.

Only a few months ago I was 'kidnapped' by a maniac who didn't believe in neutering but had wanted me to trap the (feral) cats in his garden to give to his friends and refused to let me leave with the cats (Police were called and everything). I won that one by shinning over a very high fence with a trap full of cats. To this day I don't know how I did it.

Another job recently. We put leaflets through letterboxes asking if anyone was feeding a cat colony as we wanted to neuter to 'stop numbers of cat multiplying out of control'. We got an answer that a man was feeding but was 'happy for them to breed for now'. Then what? When there are 50 cats then he wants us to come to neuter them? So we have to spend the time catching 50 cats rather than 20? So we have to pay for 50 rather than 20 to be neutered?

I fucking hate people.

Another recent one - again feeding a colony. But they believe that all the females should have at least one litter. So they refused to let me take the young females. I pointed out that most of the litters born in those gardens were eaten by foxes, but they wouldn't believe me.

I fucking hate people.

I love the trapping jobs that are in public places, were people can't obstruct. But most are in back gardens. Those terraces that are all one big lump of back gardens with no access but through houses. Then you have to rely on people's goodwill. And people are selfish, stupid, thoughtless fuckers. Well the ones I seem to meet are anyway.

I fucking hate people.

Ollivander84 Thu 23-Mar-17 02:19:49

Some people are shit winewine
Some people are lovely. But when you have a run of meeting the shit ones it really sucks. A lovely person spent 4 years feeding 3 cats and had them neutered before she died. Then another lovely person rang the rescue to say they weren't being fed. And the lovely rescue people took them in
See photo - that's what YOU do

thecatneuterer Thu 23-Mar-17 02:22:04

Where, not were. But all in all that's more coherent than I would have imagined given how I'm feeling and how drunk I seem to be.

I don't hate all people of course. If the posters in The Litter Tray were representative of the general public then I would have little cause to vent. And probably a very short list of rescue jobs as all cats would be neutered in the first place. But unfortunately, in East London at least, people are nothing like Litter Tray posters. They are selfish, and cruel, and downright nasty. Oh, and let's not forget stupid.

I had someone shouting at me for not taking away all of the feral cats in his garden (we just can't - we can neuter but we can't generally take them away) because they were fighting with his cat (male, unneutered). I explained that if he had his cat neutered then he wouldn't get into so many fights. He absolutely refused to believe me. And the injuries to his cat were all my fault. Stupid, stupid fucker.

Anyway I'm going to stop ranting now. At least I've stopped shaking. I think I might have one more drink.

Apologies Litter Tray folk. Normal, rational service will be resumed tomorrow I'm sure.

thecatneuterer Thu 23-Mar-17 02:23:09

Thanks for the reply Ollivander. Yes I know there are some nice people. Just not enough of them.

Ollivander84 Thu 23-Mar-17 02:24:14

I don't get why people don't have them neutered. This thing about one litter and blah blah blah. Same with dogs. And horses, if it's a shit stallion then geld it please. There's enough horses without adding in more rubbish!

JoandMax Thu 23-Mar-17 02:31:24

OP rant away, I'm involved in TNR work too and sometimes you just need to let the frustration out! Some of the people you unfortunately meet are beyond reason or rationality. I cannot fathom how they can feed, stroke, build a relationship with an animal then back off the second something needs doing. If you treat it like your pet it IS your pet and your responsibility.......... And the ones who suddenly ring as they have 25 cats in their garden and are moving house and need to 'get rid' of them - words can't describe how that makes me feel!

But the work you are doing is amazing and incredible and will have helped hundreds or thousands of cats have a happier, healthier life because of you. That's why we do it, and why we shed the tears of anger and sadness sometimes too.

thecatneuterer Thu 23-Mar-17 02:35:31

Thank you Jo. You've made me cry. It's fucking shit isn't it?

(I don't normally swear btw. I don't drink either. Did I mention that?)

Broken11Girl Thu 23-Mar-17 02:47:43

Aw flowers
I don't know what to say, as I often have a fit of 'humans suck'. Fwiw I genuinely admire all you do for cats.

sobeyondthehills Thu 23-Mar-17 03:07:20

Humans suck and you are a very special individual to do what you do without punching the fuckwits.

RedSandYellowSand Thu 23-Mar-17 03:45:19

You are an amazing lady!
The trouble with TNR is people can't see the benifit. Less cats, no more kittens, healthier cats isn't the instant, visable change (some) people expect these days.
But what you are doing is making a massive difference to the health and welfare of 100s of cats (and preventing 1000s more suffering).

Now, how can i catch this pregnant Momma's who has been evading our trapping efforts for the past 2 years????? Got all her Kits each year, but she is sooo smart (and knows the evening I roast a chicken, and comes sits at my window, then buggers off again til i cook more chicken hmm )

Nonibaloni Thu 23-Mar-17 04:01:25

We got our two kittens from a neighbor who "collects" strays. They were in a terrible state, mother too. She was selling them which was terrible for these poor cats but i paid instantly just to take them away! She had the mother and the rest of her cats taken away to my great relief but got really mad when I had the kittens neutered! All the other kittens from the litter have since died, I don't know how she can stand it. The two I got included a tiny runt and they are thriving. I had to report her again because i say a cat through her window. We have 3 cats and a dog, I can't take anymore it's horrible to see her poor kitties.

I love kitten as much as the next person but how can they see young cats suffering through pregnancies when they aren't looked after! DP always says he's so glad I don't have time to volunteer or he'd come home tonnes cats every day.

JoandMax Thu 23-Mar-17 04:28:14

Yes it is fucking shit and sometimes the only answer is to swear and drink!!!

Hope you feel better soon xx

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 23-Mar-17 06:43:47

I hate people too, and I don't work in rescue.

I have no idea why a cat going through a labour with pain relief is good for them.

Allergictoironing Thu 23-Mar-17 07:16:56

Not a lot I can add, but to say that yes some people are so incredibly self-centred that I could hit them some times. The fact that you and others can keep going in the face of all this frustration says so much about what strong, fantastic people you all are.

At least in this case you have managed to trap and neuter 3 of the females; I know it wasn't the outcome you hoped for of getting them all done but that's still a win compared to them not bothering to contact you at all.

People like you are my heroes! flowers cake

Vinorosso74 Thu 23-Mar-17 08:23:07

I also think you're doing a wonderful job. People can be ignorant and selfish. I don't think they realise how quickly cats can breed or the problems not neutering causes.

thecatneuterer Thu 23-Mar-17 11:35:04

Thanks all. A bit of an update:

After only about three hours of sleep consisting entirely of cat-filled nightmares I got up and went knocking on doors of the neighbours. The next door neighbour, who doesn't like cats but understands that my doing this means there will be less of them, has agreed for me to go trapping there. It won't be as easy as trapping where they are normally fed, but at least i stand a chance of getting some more. Going tomorrow. So I feel a bit less tense now.

Reds what sort of trap are you using? Can you get her used to eating in a dummy trap?

cozietoesie Thu 23-Mar-17 11:44:34

Feel free to vent in our general direction, TCN.. You're doing nobly there and the occasional WTF evening is par for the course.

Hope the head isn't too sore this morning. wink

RedSandYellowSand Thu 23-Mar-17 12:28:51

Been feeding around a trap for weeks and weeks, initially beside it, but she just won't go in the thing, even when starving. Tried covering it and leaving it exposed. She's just too damm wary.
I think she just might have to be one of the un-neutered 20%, and hope the surrounding Tom's are all snipped!!!

Congrats on finding a solution! I should learn from you. if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. We WILL catch her!!

thecatneuterer Thu 23-Mar-17 12:39:07

We have made traps out of upturned wheelie bins for the very trap shy. First find a spare wheelie bin, then let me know if you want details of how to do it. I can pm you.

Northumberlandlass Thu 23-Mar-17 13:45:24

You are a star TCN
I have utmost respect for you and others who rescue/foster wine and pure rage to those who don't neuter angry

RedSandYellowSand Thu 23-Mar-17 14:32:10

Yes, please TCN.

thecatneuterer Thu 23-Mar-17 15:30:35

Reds. I've asked the person who makes them to put together a written blueprint and I'll pm you when I have it.

RedSandYellowSand Thu 23-Mar-17 17:07:01

Thankyou.

Hoppinggreen Thu 23-Mar-17 17:11:05

I think that people who do this are awesome and deserve our thanks.
I would also bring back the death penalty for anyone who believes that any female animal "needs" to have at least one litter ( might be joking, might not be)

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Mar-17 17:15:50

TCN you are my kitty heroine!
I wouldn't even like to guess the number of cats you have saved or helped. Some of the stories you have shared now and in the past are heartbreaking.
Too many people are cockwombles. Feed them? Do they also vaccinate and deflea and worm etc? Do they bollocks. Do these cats have a healthy and happy love filled life? No. They exist. Cats deserve better.
Keep fighting TCN. Our own supercatwoman!!
flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now