Matts in eldery cat

(9 Posts)
Soulcakequack Mon 20-Mar-17 20:01:27

My old boy ( nearly 17) has some nasty matts after a period of illness ( he was on a drip so grooming not a option).

Im struggling to get them out does anyone have any suggestions?

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 20-Mar-17 20:10:06

If he's calm and cooperative, you could use clippers ( my old girl would let me do that) otherwise, maybe a professional groomer as a one off?

Soulcakequack Mon 20-Mar-17 20:12:36

At the moment he bites me if I do more than run a soft brush over it.

Trustyourself2 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:13:49

You could try to cut them out. Sometimes what I do is get hold of the mat and gently pull it apart, which does work.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 20-Mar-17 23:52:35

I take fatty to the vet to get rid of hers. She won't sit still for me. But is good as gold for them.

elephantcuddles Tue 21-Mar-17 01:51:50

I had an elderly cat with feline kidney disease who would get them, but I was a hairdresser so I'm used to working with scissors. I would recommend having a groomer come to you if possible. It's stressful on a cat every time we have to take them somewhere. I used tiny tiny sewing shears that were sharp, but I wouldn't recommend doing it because it's too risky. You have to pull the mat away from the skin in order to get it out and not cut their delicate skin. The mats are painful for them, so don't run a brush over it as it won't do anything.

elephantcuddles Tue 21-Mar-17 01:53:13

Also your vet clinic can use trimmers to get rid of the mats. They have to use them regularly in a vet clinic for surgeries, etc. I would ring them and ask them.

Soulcakequack Tue 21-Mar-17 19:55:21

thanks it looks like a vet trio or groomer is needed

elephantcuddles Thu 23-Mar-17 13:52:33

Soulcake, were you able to get the mats sorted?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now