Is your cat as thick as mine? (with picture)

(84 Posts)
sm40 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:34:08

The door is open. However the cat can not work out how to pull it open with its paw! And the bin is in the way for it to try to squeeze through.
Is anyone else's cat lacking common sense?
He also doesn't understand he can eat human food!!!!! He never tries to. Unlike my other cat. Open the fridge and she is there.

Trustyourself2 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:41:38

Yes, I also have one who's as thick as they come. He'll lie beside a door that's ajar, waiting for his sister, who he despises, to let him out.

I'm afraid there is no hope.

cozietoesie Mon 20-Mar-17 17:38:54

Oh Dear. sadgrin

ATailofTwoKitties Mon 20-Mar-17 17:41:21

Mine has spent two years patiently batting at the fish through the sides of the tank. She's not a quick learner.

Dangling perilously from branches over the head of next door's aggressive dog isn't her brightest plan, either.

ArchNotImpudent Mon 20-Mar-17 17:42:19

Aww! grin

ElizaDontlittle Mon 20-Mar-17 17:42:28

Mine won't go thru gaps that are narrower than her whiskers - which means she won't open doors that are about 4 inches open, it does not cross her mind. So in your picture even without the bin, she'd just sit there and miaow!!

cozietoesie Mon 20-Mar-17 17:45:00

And so you open them wider for her? wink

ATailofTwoKitties Mon 20-Mar-17 17:58:04

Mine hasn't yet learnt to miaow, Eliza. She just sits there silently opening her mouth imploringly.

<enters Thick Cat Top Trumps>

allegretto Mon 20-Mar-17 18:01:31

Well my youngest son is a bit like this. Can't do really obvious things like put his socks on or pour a glass or water. We (the slow ones!) eventually saw his strategic incompetence for what it was and refused to help him anymore. Maybe your cat is just one step ahead of you!

JDelanysCleanHorse Mon 20-Mar-17 18:01:50

Our old cat used to sit on the garden fence in the pouring rain waiting to be let in.......... except we have a lovely dry porch with a cat flap. 😣

SparklesandBangs Mon 20-Mar-17 18:02:31

Cat1 can't drink from a bowl unless her 2 front paws are in it. She is also scared of everything and often gets shut in rooms or cupboards where she has gone to hide.
Cat2 can't open a door with her paw or nose she just sits and waits

RatOnnaStick Mon 20-Mar-17 18:04:57

The Lion used to watch the Snowshoe wander in and out of the catflap with a confused expression on his face. Took him 3 years to work out how to do it himself hmm

originalbiglymavis Mon 20-Mar-17 18:08:48

Out old cat was constantly surprised by his own reflection. We had a mirror on the floor leant up against the wall, and he used to run around and around trying to catch the other cat.

Oh and the cats above who 'cant' open doors and flaps - they can but are just waiting for their human pets to oblige.

CaptainCallisto Mon 20-Mar-17 18:14:05

Mine also likes to bat at the fish through the tank. Not only has he not worked out that he can't get the fish, he hasn't realised that they can't get him either. He fell off the side yesterday when the shark snapped at him through the glass grin

WellWhoKnew Mon 20-Mar-17 18:17:56

Mine was a silent miaower. Not any more. Now we have a full blast wail. It only took him six years to figure out he has vocal chords.

Now he miaows at his food dish, which usually contains food. "No Like!" He laments. I pick up dish, sniff it, and put it down again. Apparently "the second dish" suits his nibs more. Thick.

sm40 Mon 20-Mar-17 19:06:41

I am now going to have to 'lock' him
In a room with a slightly ajar door and see who cracks first! Glad he's not the only one! In his defence he got knocked over and we think he might have taken a bash to the head!!
He does seem to know which of the neighbours houses have cat food in though. Very selective brain damage!

lljkk Mon 20-Mar-17 19:19:47

We had one who used to repeatedly run (full speed) into the same window pane (french window panel doors). He was malnourished as a kitten so fairly dim.

cozietoesie Mon 20-Mar-17 19:42:33

.....Very selective brain damage....

grin

GriefLeavesItsMark Mon 20-Mar-17 21:23:59

Cat thick as mince. He once found and ate some chillie cheese. DH came back from work to find cat with his tongue hanging out and looking sorry for himself.

ATailofTwoKitties Mon 20-Mar-17 21:28:08

Oh, lljkk, ours was apparently abandoned by its feckless mother as a wee scrap of a thing, in favour of its three bruising great siblings. She arrived from the rescue centre with a wodge of medical info the size of War and Peace, detailing how they'd had the vet out again to [smallest kitty], hand-fed her, administered fluids... No wonder she expects Special Treatment without miaowing for it.

sobeyondthehills Mon 20-Mar-17 21:32:44

Mine comes out for walks with the dog.

This wouldn't be so bad, but one time, a doberman took my dog's ball, my dog is reactive, so he is on the lead and I kicked it a little too far. My dog starts crying as the doberman is looking pleased with his new find. My 3 legged cat comes out and tries to take on this bloody doberman. I swear the doberman was laughing as it ran away with its new prize.

treaclesoda Mon 20-Mar-17 21:33:55

My cat is also a touch dim. She paws at the kitchen window to be let in, even when the door is propped open for her less than two metres away. confused

Bluntness100 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:36:54

Two weeks ago we spent an enjoyable 30 mins at a friends house watching the neighbours cat try to work out how to get down from a tree it had climbed. Never seen anything like it. It went from low down branch to low down branch, you could actually see it trying to work it out like a puzzle. What made it so comical is it was so low down it could have just jumped it.

It did eventually jump but it took it half an hour of messing around on tiny branches before it worked that out... then it sauntered off slowly like it never happened. 😂

emochild Mon 20-Mar-17 21:43:38

One of mine you have to open the door for him and then step out of the way before he will come in -because obviously he can't fit around the side of my feet

Another one of mine has to go under the hall table before he goes out -so he'll sit at the door mieowing, then when you open the door he walks back to the other end of the hall and under the table before slinking along next to the skirting board and back to the door

My other one will only use the back door, never the front door

And none of them use the cat flap!

MrsGotobed Mon 20-Mar-17 21:49:01

We had a nice but dim cat who, in all her 16 years, never worked out how to go through a cat-flap by pushing it - she always pulled it towards her. hmm

It was such a faff as she would actually push it a bit with her paw so that it would swing back and forth a little bit, she'd then hook her claw under it and pull it towards her and squeeze through.

God I miss her and her strange ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now