Talk

Advanced search

What could be (or what could have been) wrong with him?

(18 Posts)
TizzyDongue Sun 19-Mar-17 08:29:46

Yesterday heading out at 11 - DH told me not to close a certain door (to the room the cat flap is in) as the cat was in up on X's bed

Home 90 mins later I refill his bowls which normally the sound of, if the cat's in the house, causes him to come and eat/drink. I didn't think too much about it - it'd stopped raining so chances are he was out.

Went upstairs at 3 and found Cat on another bed - petted him had a chat with him - felt mildly surprised he was still in as he's an outdoorsy cat but the weather is pretty rotten so figured it was that (he's stayed in from 2 in the afternoon to the next morning frequently during the winter)

Come 6 ds comes tell me Cat is meowing at him when he strokes him. I do wish I'd investigated at this point but Cat does meow at DS2 more than most of us and DS2 had his young cousin with him so i just considered it to be a back off meow. Plus I was busy and hadn't really clocked vets closes at 7

Anyway went up an hour later - house now quite and stroked Cat (still in same bed) he was fine with that. Checked his bowl and found it untouched. Felt concerned now but again he does get feed outside the house and I couldn't be certain if he'd been out and come back it. House had been busy with comings and goings.

Ds2 was with me a while later talking about Cat meowing at him - so we both went to Cat (still same spot!) I stroked him - no unusual response but the ds2 got on the bed and Cat let out an odd sound (low moan/grumble) and DS2 said 'see!'. Each time DS moved Cat grumbled. I tried to pick up Cat and he meowed at me.

Felt very worried about Cat - who moved when bed owner went to bed but still didn't eat nor move from the next spot he chose. Decided I'd take him down to the vets in the morning for the earliest time possibly could.

Woke up this morning at 7 (cat normally wakes me at 6) went to see Cat - he'd moved from the spot he was in - called him the appeared out of a bedroom - looking fine - followed me downstairs. Ate and drank and went out like nothing odd had happened. He was also totally fine with my picking him up - and getting a cuddle off DS2.

Should I take him to the vets when he comes back in?

MissClarke86 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:33:00

Sounds like he was in pain last night one way or another. Could be a simple thing like a twisted paw or sore claw, or more serious.

If he's eating and drinking and his usual self I wouldn't take him but I'd keep a close eye out for any unusual symptoms for a while - particularly good/drink/bowel related.

DumbledoresApprentice Sun 19-Mar-17 08:33:16

I would. Hope he's OK.

TizzyDongue Sun 19-Mar-17 08:41:35

As far as I could tell there was no cuts or marks on him. No sign he'd been in a fight or injured (plus the few times he's been injured he hisses on being touched)

I wondered if it was internal - which might explain the grumbling when ds was on the bed (mattress shifting made Cat more uncomfortable)

I find having a cat very stressful! Feel the responsibility of his welfare heavily and tend to panic of I suspect he's hurt or ill.

SagelyNodding Sun 19-Mar-17 08:54:22

One of mine was like that recently-we thought she was dying (she's 13 ish). Vet found no broken bones but she had a bruised hind leg-was maybe hit by something/got kicked???? sad After 3 days of moping and barely eating she completely recovered and is back to her usual demanding and annoying ways!

TizzyDongue Sun 19-Mar-17 09:07:52

He's only young (2) he does get into a lot of situations (a friend of mine has owned fostered many cats reckons he's unlucky for that)

I too was worried he was dying (like I said I panic). Was fearing he'd been poisoned - the utter hatred people have for cats makes me stressed

I'm watching him now in the garden chasing a leaf.

SagelyNodding Sun 19-Mar-17 09:50:52

Awww-mine don't chase anything much any more! My girl cat was/is a total warrior and got into a lot of situations and fights - had tail amputated after some sort of building site injury (by the time she got home after us frantically scouring the neighbourhood it was too late to save it), she also once came home with an air rifle pellet lodged in the skin between her shoulderblades angry...some cats really need their 9 lives! Glad yours is feeling better anyway!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 19-Mar-17 12:50:43

I took one of mine because she wouldn't move and cried when picked up. Turned out she was critically ill. With minimal symptoms. She only just survived and had I left her she'd have died in the night. Please get him checked out.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 19-Mar-17 12:52:40

She has pancreatitis caused by an infected lymph node in her neck.

ifonly4 Sun 19-Mar-17 15:56:39

The only time one of my cats hasn't been quite himself and grumbled if someone got near him was when he had an infected wound - I had no idea. On the build up to that he hadn't been quite right and look sorry for himself. He made no signs of recovery like your boy, so I'm glad I took him especially as I couldn't find anything wrong myself.

Is he still playful, eating and drinking?

TizzyDongue Sun 19-Mar-17 20:11:17

His more himself now - playing and not bothered by handling but isn't eating and drinking like normal.

Only had a third of his usual amount.

Trustyourself2 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:07:04

Cats can get in to all sorts of bother. If he doesn't improve soon, take him along to the vet, as they can find things that we can't. I'd keep him in at night too, as night time is when they're most vulnerable outside.

TizzyDongue Wed 22-Mar-17 05:29:37

He eat normally on Monday (or at least seemed to - ds was at home and said he refilled the bowl) but didn't seem to go near his food yesterday. Just now he ate but not a lot.

He's acting normal - totally fine with being handled

I'll take him for a check up.

TizzyDongue Wed 22-Mar-17 05:31:18

Unless he doesn't return I keep him in before dusk to after dawn.

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 22-Mar-17 16:08:17

Is he peeing okay?

My old tom had similar symptoms and he had a urinary blockage and ended up in the vets for five days on a drip - he'd have died if we'd left it any longer.

Please take him and get it checked. At least if it's nothing you'll be reassured.

TizzyDongue Wed 22-Mar-17 16:49:45

He's a litter tray refuser unfortunately so can't monitor his weeing and pooing.

I've a vet appointment in 40 mins.

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 22-Mar-17 17:06:24

Hope he's okay flowers

TizzyDongue Wed 22-Mar-17 18:16:12

Seems to be gastro. Such a docile cat usually he hissed more this evening than I've even known him to and tried to bite!!

On special food for a while, antepsin, probiotics. Had an anti sickness and a pain relief injection.

The foods wet and he's usually dry - but he's scoffing away right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now