Talk

Advanced search

Cats not using new litter tray - help!

(28 Posts)
RubbishMantra Sat 18-Mar-17 18:13:14

Bought the boys a new tray. They prefer to share. Whilst I'm getting them used to the new one, I've kept the old one in place. They are both lidded trays, with flappy doors. New one been in place for a couple of weeks. I sprinkled some used litter in it.

Little M goes in there a lot, but just to fling litter about. No deposits. They haven't been using the original tray much either. They're spending more time outside during the day though, as the weather's better, and they prefer to toilet outside.

Today swapped them around, so new litter-box was in the place of the old one, iyswim.

I'm worried it may be freaking them out, and causing them to not pee, therefore causing a UTI.

Am I just being a worry-head? Or if anyone has any tips to encourage a cat to use a new tray/box, I'd be ever so grateful to hear them.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:22:39

Try taking the old one away? They know the new one exists! Cats are just awkward and quite conservative about change I think!

ArchNotImpudent Sat 18-Mar-17 18:27:02

Are they the same design; ie. could you try swapping the lids over?

RubbishMantra Sat 18-Mar-17 18:47:15

Weeds, moving them around was my first tentative move into seeing how they'd react if I took one away. You're right about cats hating change and being awkward!

ArchNotImpudent, sadly not the same design - old favoured tray is a corner one. New one is a square... But essentially the same as their old one. Just a different shape and size.

ArchNotImpudent Sat 18-Mar-17 19:33:35

I think you might just have to give them time to get used to it, and for its new smell to wear off. You could try wiping the new one all over with whatever you normally use to clean the old one, to try to speed this up. I'd be wary of taking the old one away until they've started using the new one in case they start peeing somewhere else (or holding it in, as you say).

HemanOrSheRa Sat 18-Mar-17 20:22:38

Why did you buy a new tray Mantra? I'd just take the old one away and replace with new one like Weeds says. I reckon it's a timing thing - new and strange tray/good weather =more wees and poos outside that Mama can't see. I wouldn't worry smile.

When I've bought a new tray for Knuckles (not a fancy pants one), I just swap them over with some litter mixed in.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 18-Mar-17 20:39:23

When I swapped to a top entry tray I just got rid of the old one completely. The lady from the rescue had told me not to use a hooded tray as they "are to stupid to use it" but they took to both types without any problems. Gorgeous little Mgrin

RubbishMantra Sat 18-Mar-17 20:52:53

I bought a new tray because the clippy bit broke on the old one, slicing off a reasonably sized portion of my little finger in the process, SheRa. <ouch> There was a lot of blood and I might have kicked it in anger

It's a properly big fancy box, you could fit a couple of Maine Coons in it, and it has Zebra stripes on it! I need a lidded one because Little M digs like he's trying to tunnel to the Earth's core.

RubbishMantra Sat 18-Mar-17 21:17:00

See Toddler, both my 2 I would deem as quite clever, esp. Little M. I just don't understand their reticence to use the thing! How could she call your gorgeous floofy girls stupid! Persians are just v. trusting.

Like you say ANI, may be that it smells new/plasticky.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:36:00

I think you are giving too much choice, take old one away and the choice is in or out
Mine prefers outside and will get soaked to the skin rather than use his tray, but if he has to be inside for some reason he'll use the tray without tantrums. Cats that go somewhere in the house other than the tray tend to be stressed by something other than the tray. Your cat's sound like happy, well adjusted boys, so I would expect them to just suck it up ( and add it to the grudge list) and use the new tray if old one wasn't available any more.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 18-Mar-17 21:39:26

I know this may sound a bit way out but have you told them and shown them the tray you'd like them to use? While taking the old tray away?

Feel free to ignore me. My 12 yo human child is digging away in a bag of flour, mixing it with washing up liquid confused to make slime with my work latex gloves on grin.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 18-Mar-17 22:06:26

Rubbish, they are gorgeous but really not over endowed with brain cells! Especially Magic!!

Toddlerteaplease Sat 18-Mar-17 22:07:19

Oo the slime sounds great fun, can I join in?

HemanOrSheRa Sat 18-Mar-17 22:18:14

I'll call you a taxi toddler.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 18-Mar-17 22:38:54

I'll take a detour on the way and cat nap little M as well!

RubbishMantra Sun 19-Mar-17 00:39:32

I am overthinking this a bit aren't I? Blimmin' cats.

I've shown them how the flappy door works, (same as the other one), given a demonstration like a QVC presenter, SheRa. Maybe I need to have a stern word with them both?

Little M would love making slime! He's 3 now, and is a Peter Pan re. adulthood. He'd happily get in a taxi with you for a jaunt Toddler. And I'm happy that SnorgMagic's still here. Bless her tiny nose.

chemenger Sun 19-Mar-17 08:13:07

Have you put some used litter from the old tray in the new one?

HemanOrSheRa Sun 19-Mar-17 11:27:13

I am overthinking this a bit aren't I? Yes grin. You tell those two boys what you want them to do. Be firm - you are the Mammy and you are in charge grin

Toddlerteaplease Sun 19-Mar-17 12:48:22

You are in charge. Ha ha ha ha ha ha hmmgrin

HemanOrSheRa Sun 19-Mar-17 13:05:39

I know, I know Toddler. But if I say it often enough it might work grin.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 19-Mar-17 14:06:08

I can just see gorgeous Little M and M cat rubbing their paws together in glee at the slave tearing her hair out trying to get them to use the new tray.

RubbishMantra Sun 19-Mar-17 18:20:22

They've used it! Wee at last!! It seems all I had to do was swap it's position round with the old one! I've never been happier to scoop a clump. grin

RubbishMantra Sun 19-Mar-17 18:28:18

*...scooping clumps doesn't make me happy btw. But this one did. grin

HemanOrSheRa Sun 19-Mar-17 21:02:30

I think it was your QVC style demo Mantra!

RubbishMantra Mon 20-Mar-17 20:22:32

And my LitterMates cheering them on from the sidelines of course! Had to do a major scoop today. They love it! Seems the contrary buggers just had qualms about where I'd placed the thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now