Talk

Advanced search

vet visit?

(5 Posts)
Char22thom Sat 18-Mar-17 07:43:06

Just wondering want other cat owners do when cat appears with a small injury (little graze to the leg, small limp but no sign of broken bones or serious injury), do you immediately seek out your vet? Or wait and see how things develop? Does anyone attempt treatment themselves (salt water on wounds, removing splinters etc) before seeing your vet? X

boobyooby Sat 18-Mar-17 07:45:45

I've not got any cats at the moment but yes if it was something very minor I would treat at home. I'd not leave the limp longer than a day or so though as that would indicate pain and animals are quite good at concealing it. Grazes I'd bathe with salty water no problem.

TizzyDongue Sat 18-Mar-17 07:51:51

Never had a limp. Small scratches I've seen on nose or ears I leave to heal themselves

Cuts on body it would depend on size - mind you with the fur its generally only big ones I see. If they are small enough to not see I'd only find them if he hissed when I picked him up (and so I'd look at his body to see what's up) then i always take him to be checked because he hissed.

Maybe post a picture? Once I was wondering (first time i spotted a cut in fact) and posted similar and once the picture was I looked at it and though 'that looks bad!!"

Though saying all that if my cat had a cut and a limp I'd take him to be looked at. So after my long rambling post I think you'd be better off making an appointment.

Mermaidinthesea Sat 18-Mar-17 07:55:36

If I took my aggressive alpha male cat to the vet everytime he had a fight I'd be spending £100 a month. I treat nearly all of his injuries now (he is neutered) including abcesses.
Mind you I am a nurse and I do know when a wound looks like it needs antibiotics, usually I find once I've burst and cleaned an abcess it heals up pretty quick.
My other cat is always around £100 a month at the vet as she has chronic gastrointestinal problems that need regular treatment and medication.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 18-Mar-17 10:17:03

I would but mainly because my vet is very convenient as it is just drop in. And I am a complete helicopter cat parent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now