Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My kitten got speyed to day & won't wear her collar

(10 Posts)
dot91 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:39:21

My 6 month old baby kitten got speyed today she won't wear her collar. She got it off in the carrier on the way home. When we put it back on when we'd been home for 30 min she went mad running about banging off the table trying to get it off .
The vet said she had to wear it if not tonight tomorrow. I'm worried she'll do more damage to her self running about trying to get it off . The wee thing was so scared .

DramaAlpaca Fri 17-Mar-17 18:44:04

Poor little thing, she's been through a lot today and probably needs a good sleep, bless her.

If it was my kitty, I'd leave the collar off tonight, but try putting it back on tomorrow when she's recovered from her surgery a bit. She'll get used to it fairly quickly.

She needs the collar so she doesn't go at her stitches, but if you find she's leaving her stitches alone you could probably leave it off.

dot91 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:53:16

She's a wee soul managed to eat all right as you said needs a good sleep . We'll leave her an hour & try again if she gets too stressed we'll leave it off until tomorrow & try again

thecatneuterer Fri 17-Mar-17 19:28:15

We spay many thousands of cats every year and never give out collars. There is never a problem. Our stitches are internal though . Can you see big stitches on her side? Either way I would leave the collar off and just keep an eye on her.

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Mar-17 19:30:11

Be careful. One of mine chewed through her stitches and had to go back as an emergency and be stapled! Worth persevering.

Maudlinmaud Fri 17-Mar-17 19:37:16

Mine got spayed a few months ago and the vet said the collar wasn't needed. When she got out of her carrier at home she hid under a sofa and stayed there for hours. She just wanted to sleep bless her. She didn't touch the wound at all. My advice would be to just let her be, it's a big ordeal and she will still be under the effects of the drugs.

dementedpixie Fri 17-Mar-17 19:47:47

https://www.viovet.co.uk/BusterBodySuitforDogsCats/c21056/?quickfind=179006&gclid=CIzjpeGm3tICFWMz0wody5QJsA maybe something like this? Or you could try making your own out of an old tshirt

dot91 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:05:42

Thanks for all your replies , we got the collar back on and she was less stressed about it no running about . It's good to know though if she doesn't keep it on it will be all right as long as we keep an eye out for her messing with her wound . Her stitches are internal so hopefully she won't be able to,do any damage .

lottieandmia Sun 19-Mar-17 02:48:13

My cat flatly refused to keep her collar on. She was stressing so much it wasn't worth it. Unfortunately she did pull her stitches out! But she was fine. The vet suggested putting a babygro on her which might work.

sashh Mon 20-Mar-17 06:21:53

Unless she is going for her stitches she will be better off without it.

I was given collar by the vet but as she hadn't touched her stitches with them they said to only use it if she did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now