Talk

Advanced search

Dribbley girl!

(21 Posts)
IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Thu 16-Mar-17 21:56:14

Just after a wee bit of advice.

IvyCat has been happily eating her wet food and loves treat sticks. However she increasingly leaving her dry food. Today I noticed that she was dribbling slightly. She had an MOT in November and they were happy with everything then.
Is it worth a visit to the vet to get her teeth checked out?
Any other ideas?

squeak10 Thu 16-Mar-17 22:29:11

Maybe Ivy cat doesn't like dried food, 3 of mine love it other one not interested. Had a girl cat who dribbled all the time, generally when she was suckling on my jumper/t-shirt. Vet thought that it was because she was separated from her mum at a early age. I think she just liked to slobber all over me. I would get her teeth checked again as cats can develop gum disease very quickly. Hope she is better soon x

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Thu 16-Mar-17 22:59:12

She will eat anything!
She will normally wolf down her wet food and then have a little of her dried food later on.
No change in variety of dried food.

Wolfiefan Thu 16-Mar-17 22:59:48

What's her age?

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Thu 16-Mar-17 23:06:19

She is a rescue so we aren't sure but she is about 4.

marmiteloversunite Thu 16-Mar-17 23:11:20

My cat was like this. Suddenly started dribbling a lot. He had to have seven teeth out! Might be worth a trip to the vets to check the teeth.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Thu 16-Mar-17 23:16:47

I'll give them a call I think. All was well when she had her last check up though.

cozietoesie Thu 16-Mar-17 23:48:29

It's not always easy to tell with unsedated cats - especially with back teeth. They're not the world's most amenable patients. Good luck to her.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 17-Mar-17 17:56:31

Please get her teeth checked out. Last time Harry went off his dry food he had a recurrence of his dental infection that had previously caused severe bone damage and a fractured jaw and the loss of 12 teeth. He's an extreme case but I didn't realise just how much of an issue their teeth can be.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Fri 17-Mar-17 17:57:37

I'll give the vets a call tomorrow.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 17-Mar-17 17:58:59

Good luck, let us know how she gets on.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Fri 17-Mar-17 18:09:47

Just booked her in for Tuesday.
She's eaten all of her dry food today so I'm not too worried.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Fri 17-Mar-17 22:03:05

Hmmm she didn't fancy her dinner. She ate some of it but not much.

cozietoesie Fri 17-Mar-17 22:53:12

I should add that when The Lodger went to Seniorboy's practice, he needed a full dental although it was mainly - not entirely - cleaning and removing some very bad tartar. He was only 3 or 4 at the time but despite being a very very fine hunter, he'd also brought himself up on the streets and had done his share of bin raiding and thieving. My suspicion was always that he'd been eating foods which were a tad ......inappropriate.

If the vet genuinely OKs her teeth - which sound a likely candidate to me - then you can start to look at other culprits. I think you've done right to book her in though.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Fri 17-Mar-17 23:09:32

When she had her MOT I remember the vet saying how good her teeth were.
She ran for her supper when we headed off to bed so I'm not so worried.

We are very anxious parents.

cozietoesie Fri 17-Mar-17 23:12:58

Just one tooth can go downhill quite quickly - so even if you're anxious, it will do no harm to check them out. The 'dribbling' would make me edgy enough to book a quick slot.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sat 18-Mar-17 07:52:55

Tuesday was the quickest we could get.

We've only seen her dribbling once though. If she had a very wet mouth then I might have pushed for something sooner.

cozietoesie Sat 18-Mar-17 10:24:55

My apologies. I meant 'quick' in the sense of 'time spent at the vets' - not 'soonest'. Tuesday sounds just fine.

You're just going for a 'look-see' anyway. smile As to the dribbling ? The fact that she doesn't seem to be a cat with a permanently wet mouth - and there are some - would make me more keen to find out why it was so wet on this particular occasion. (Allied with the bout of not eating at the time.)

Don't get too anxious, really. It's great that you're very responsive to possible problems but that's all they are. Possible. It may be that she's becoming a manipulative fusspot. You get some of those as well! grin

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sat 18-Mar-17 15:15:18

Well all her breakfast has been eaten already so I think she is going to be OK. I'll still get her checked out. She has ongoing bottom problems too so we can get that looked at at the same time.

Wolfiefan Sat 18-Mar-17 15:17:20

Good luck for Tuesday. FWIW when we had one with bad teeth she drooled stringy horrid drool. All the time. Still worth a check.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Wed 22-Mar-17 21:34:18

Just an update if anyone is interested.
There was nothing wrong with her teeth all was fine there.
However the poor girl's anal glands were blocked again and needed emptying. And she's over weight.

Poor love, There you are minding your own business and someone shoves a finger up your bum and tells you that you're fat.

On the plus side though the vet said it could count as her 6 monthly check up so it didn't cost anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now