Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal behaviour for older cat?

(15 Posts)
FaintlyBaffled Wed 15-Mar-17 17:37:38

BaffledCat is around 11 or 12 (RSPCA rescue) He's never been noted for his energetic nature but over the past winter he seems to have lost any athletic leanings he may have ever possessed.
He sleeps upstairs, on the bed with me when I'm asleep, or on the floor by my clothes when DH or both of us are asleep (I work nights) He has a cat flap so I may be less aware of his comings and goings than previously when he loudly requested the door be opened for him.
Currently he goes about three times a day that I can tell, not normally more than about twenty minutes at a time. The rest of the time he's usually asleep or snoozing. His torpor has always been worse in the winter so I'm expecting to see an increase in his wanderings as the weather improves.
FWIW he's eating and drinking fine, will wander down the stairs when one of us comes home, still plays with his tail, me or the dogs when the mood strikes him and occasionally still hunts successfully enough to bring us a small decapitated body thankfully he's downgraded from rabbits to voles and mice
I'm just wondering if 22-23 hours a day asleep is in any way worrisome or just a natural progression for an aging cat?

Monkeypuzzle32 Wed 15-Mar-17 17:44:05

Sounds pretty normal to me! As long as he's eating a normal amount and not losing weight?

thecatneuterer Wed 15-Mar-17 17:44:46

It sounds perfectly normal to me. If he seems well in himself, and doesn't look stiff when he does walk, then I wouldn't worry.

robinia Wed 15-Mar-17 17:47:01

Even my 5 year old cats are -lazier- less energetic than they used to be. Just age creeping up I would say as long as everything else is fine.

robinia Wed 15-Mar-17 17:47:50

strikethrough this time fail!

abbsisspartacus Wed 15-Mar-17 17:54:04

My friends cat has always been like this right from a kitten she took a photo the other day to prove he wakes up sometimes

FaintlyBaffled Wed 15-Mar-17 17:57:02

He's always been "stiff", having had a back leg rebuilt about 6 years ago. He seems to contemplate a jump with a little more care than in his heyday (thank God- see previous comment about rebuilt leg hmm) and is a little more sedate on the stairs after he's been for one of his constitutionals, but would fly down like a greyhound if the food cupboard door was opened so I'm not overly worried. He will be due a booster in a couple of months and will get his MOT then as well so we can hopefully wait till then.
Gratuitous photo of him in his natural habitat attached grin

MycatsaPirate Wed 15-Mar-17 18:00:41

Sounds really normal to me.

We have four - Boy cat is 13, girls are 11, 5 and 3.

They pretty much spend all their time sleeping. But tend to have a mad half hour in the evening where it's chase time and we have to put our feet up as they all rampage round the house like loonies chasing each other, jumping out of cupboards and generally acting like toddlers on speed. It lasts for about 30 minutes. That seems to be the extent of their daily exercise.

Boy cat does his twice daily patrols - has to go out the front and then appears round the back having patrolled out the front and then the back. The girls will wander up the garden, eat a bit of grass and then come back seemingly exhausted.

I'm coming back as a cat. It's a fucking fantastic life.

Monkeypuzzle32 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:04:17

My old cat is nearly 20! I wish he would sleep more because he drives me mad begging for food (hyperthyroidism & steroid tablet mix!) honestly, if he's grooming and eating a regular amount I think he's fine! Cute photo btw -this is mine with licky lix on his nose! 'S use the mess

FaintlyBaffled Wed 15-Mar-17 18:11:40

In a brave attempt to prove to me that he's not at deaths door, he's literally just snuck up in the bay window and bitten the heads off of every single one of my artfully arranged tulips <sigh>
DH will be thrilled when he gets home grin

GreyStars Wed 15-Mar-17 18:14:57

Take him away from the tulips!

Mostly the chemical in bulbs but tulips can be toxic to cats.

But the other behaviour pretty normal smile

cozietoesie Wed 15-Mar-17 18:26:26

He sounds fine. (And around 11 or 12 isn't really old in my book. wink) He's coming to the age where you might have to watch out for arthritis though. Here's some guidance to read. Does any of this ring bells?

Arthritis in cats

FaintlyBaffled Wed 15-Mar-17 18:26:52

He doesn't eat them grey, just systematically nips the heads off hmm

GreyStars Wed 15-Mar-17 19:06:24

That's good news, I have one that eats anything plant related, was just worried he was eating them. It would seem he just doesn't approve of them grin

Particularly likes parsley hmm If he smells it he is there giving me grief to give him some.

I was given a bunch of flowers and locked them in the conservatory turned my back for a second to put something away and he was in that room and in them eating them, a very expensive vet bill followed and a very unhappy cat.

I don't have any flowers anymore sad

Papergirl1968 Thu 16-Mar-17 00:13:42

Op, dcat is not even three yet and has snoozed and eaten his way through the winter. Most days he has been out for all of two minutes twice a day. I was getting a bit worried myself but I think it's just cats being cats.
Now it's sunnier and warmer he is out more and was very reluctant to come in this evening.
Hopefully he will lose some weight now as he has banged it on over the winter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now