Talk

Advanced search

Cat is due anytime from today, quite excited...

(24 Posts)
HalfShellHero Tue 14-Mar-17 21:57:38

That really , box is all ready ...I think she's pretty docile so far but ,yeah anytime soon...grin

thecatneuterer Wed 15-Mar-17 12:58:08

You mean she's giving birth? Have I missed a back story? Is there a reason your cat is pregnant (fostering for example?).

HalfShellHero Wed 15-Mar-17 17:57:36

Shes pregnant because she got friendly with the neighbours cat grin

HalfShellHero Wed 15-Mar-17 17:59:10

Shes had them today, well in the last 3 hours in my wardrobe had 4 ...2 black smokes and 2 white and black...

thecatneuterer Wed 15-Mar-17 18:01:00

Well that's no reason to grin. She should have been neutered. There are too many cats and not nearly enough homes. Every kitten born makes the problem worse. I hope you are going to get her neutered now.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 15-Mar-17 20:52:52

Yay. You're going to have gran kitties.
Pictures and updates are mandatory, don't forgetwink

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 15-Mar-17 20:53:55

Awwwwwwww. She's had them.
Congrats mummy cat

Vinorosso74 Wed 15-Mar-17 22:11:16

I'm kinda with TCN here though yes kittens are very cute. Those kittens need to have homes for life.
Please get her spayed so she can't have any more and maybe your neighbours cat needs the snip.

HalfShellHero Wed 15-Mar-17 22:51:22

With all due respect thecatneuterer you don't know if I'm keeping them all keeping a few have already sorted homes for them and tbh its not really any of your buisness...FYI she was intended to be a house cat, but kept escaping.

HalfShellHero Wed 15-Mar-17 22:52:13

4 have been born all happy and healthy.

Vinorosso74 Wed 15-Mar-17 23:00:07

OP, TCN works for a well respected rehoming charity who do a lot of excellent work neutering to reduce unwanted kittens. People taking your kittens means they won't adopt from charities. I volunteer at another and they are trying to be prepared for kitten season. The kittens will be homed quickly but adult cats will be left longer in adoption centres.
An unspayed female will escape to find a mate so please do the responsible thing once the kittens are weaned and get her spayed. I hope all works out with this litter.

gamerchick Wed 15-Mar-17 23:01:58

But you're getting her neutered now though right even if she is a house cat? She'll be a slave to her hormones as well as being raped by cats with spikes on their penises and at risk of STIs. You don't want that for her surely. That's not to mention all the intact toms who will run a mile from home, risk getting knocked over by cars and then getting lost because they've caught a whiff of your female.

It's scary when you think about it. If you love em, get them neutered.

Enjoy your kittens though, block up any holes grin

HalfShellHero Wed 15-Mar-17 23:11:28

Well yes we will be getting her neutered now, but like I said she wasn't I tended to be going outside but there you go. Personally I like the idea these kittens are going to family/friends maybe selfishly, I know they are going to good people not idiots.

gamerchick Wed 15-Mar-17 23:20:07

But she would still have been a slave to her hormones. It's not fun watching your cat in season, distressed and shoving her arse in your face because she's horny making that god awful noise. I couldn't get mine down the vet fast enough being her op forward.

I'm sure the homes you've chosen will get them neutered as soon as they're ready though. You'll be able to watch them all grow up.

thecatneuterer Thu 16-Mar-17 01:01:14

It's very much my business. I deal every day with fall out caused by people not neutering. It's absolutely heartbreaking. As Vinorosso said, your friends and family could have taken cats/kittens from a rescue if they have homes to offer.

And indoor-only cats also need to be neutered. Otherwise they suffer terrible behavioural problems and end up psychotic. That's if they haven't already flung themselves out of ten story windows when in season.

Orangebird69 Thu 16-Mar-17 01:09:09

OP, Google 'pyometra', have a look at some images, maybe visit a local rescue centre to see how many cats already need homes then GET YOUR CAT NEUTERED.

Allergictoironing Thu 16-Mar-17 07:39:05

I remember my DBro & DSiL going through "first seasons" with their first pair of Burmese - indoor only cats, they were just waiting for them to get neutered. Yowling and screeching from the girls 24/7, and every tom from miles around trying to get in to the house yelling love "songs"; luckily they have a porch on their front door otherwise there may well have been an escape/break in!

Both they and I researched the logistics of getting indoor cats, and just about everywhere recommended neutering (both sexes) and microchipping "just in case".

ThomasandFriends Thu 16-Mar-17 09:18:03

Another one with TCN I'm afraid. Friends of mine really pissed me off the end of last year. They decided they'd let their cat have a litter before neutering her. "Unfortunately" she only had one kitten, and as they'd had so many friends asking for kittens this meant she had to have another before her operation. Two litters in very quick succession before she was a year old.

Why they couldn't send their friends in the direction of the nearest cat home I really don't know.

I, on the other hand, am spending far too much money on more rabbits than I ever intended having, due to an unexpected litter. I was told I was buying two females, but one turned out to be male. However, imo they are my responsibility and not only do I not really trust anyone else to look after them properly, but if somebody does want one there are plenty in rescues. I'm not going to add to the problem by taking away a potential home.

(And before anyone asks my two were rescues, not bought from a pet shop.)

YesItsMeIDontCare Thu 16-Mar-17 09:27:47

With the greasiest respect...

The OP made a mistake which clearly wasn't deliberate, has made the effort to find secure loving homes for the kittens (not make a profit) and has stated that she'll be getting her cat neutered as soon as possible.

I think it's unfair to try and make her feel guilty about it now, she's already trying to make the best of the situation.

(My own cat was adopted from a rescue as an adult polishes halo )

thecatneuterer Thu 16-Mar-17 09:59:58

Yesitsme - you're absolutely right. And had the OP presented it as a mistake which she'd learnt from, rather than something to be happy about, then I wouldn't have said anything.

But I think it would be remiss of anyone who cares about cat welfare to pass no comment on a thread like this as we're not just talking to the OP. This is a public forum. We need to get the neutering message across to anyone else who could be in the OP's situation who might be reading that neutering, whether an indoor cat or not, is essential. To have just congratulated the OP on the impending birth would send completely the wrong message to the wider world.

Orangebird69 Thu 16-Mar-17 10:02:33

What TCN said. 👏

HalfShellHero Thu 16-Mar-17 13:20:06

I'm leaving this thread now as it's turned to a lynch mob and its sad people are so desperate to make its about them and there views, all 4 and mum are healthy and well that's the crux of it. I've said several times it was not intended for her to go outside and im getting her neutered, didnt know how bad heat/hormones is etc tbh. It is exciting, it's new life, whether people are determined to make it otherwise..

Girliefriendlikesflowers Thu 16-Mar-17 13:28:16

I think you were really naive to expect any other response tbh op you must know there is a huge problem with cats in this country?? There are far too many cats for homes primarily because of people not neutering their pets.

You were also very very naive to think that a female unneutered cat would not escape!! You need to be speaking to your vets now about when to book her in to be spayed as cats can get pregnant very quickly after giving birth.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 16-Mar-17 14:28:07

You should research what you intend to do with animals. It prevents all this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now