Talk

Advanced search

How many is too many?

(13 Posts)
maxxymoment Tue 14-Mar-17 20:15:55

We have 3 cats. 4 year old sisters who are friendly enough on their own terms but are not lap cats. Last year we got a 12 month old male rescue who had been an un neutered stray when he was found. He was neutered when we got him. I/we wanted a really friendly cat who would sit on knees in the evening so thought an adult rescue would be perfect. He was reported to be friendly and good with other cats. He was very friendly for the first week but is now like the others. He likes a head fuss but won't be touched anywhere else. We introduced them slowly but girls don't like him but he isn't bothered in the slightest by that. He is placid and confident and as long as he is fed he is happy. So I have 3 healthy cats who live the life of Riley but not one will sit on my knee. So we are toying with the idea of getting a fourth. Maybe a kitten this time who will hopefully win the others round with their youth and charm. We have a large house and garden and back onto fields so we have the space for another. But is it a bad idea?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:25:38

I believe one cat per windowsill is the correct ratio.

How about you try an oriental rescue? Their clingy.

I've had 4 cats from kittens and only the Bengal is a lap cat. He's a holy terror to cats though so avoid that breed.

thecatneuterer Tue 14-Mar-17 20:30:31

I wouldn't start to worry until you get to over ten. Or maybe 15 .... I can though confidently say that 38 is a bit too many.

maxxymoment Tue 14-Mar-17 20:50:23

Thank you. I just don't want to upset the cats I have. Boy cat won't be bothered I'm sure but the girls don't like change. I have always had cats, I used to have Persians years ago pre-kids but don't want the long fur to deal with now? have been browsing at cats and some cross breeds online, on gum tree etc. I'm not saying I'll get a cat through this method but it's interesting reading. Boy cat was from a local sanctuary and the girls came from the cats protection league as kittens. I'm amazed that people are charging for moggies. People used to be just grateful for a loving home!

thecatneuterer Tue 14-Mar-17 21:05:36

People can charge for moggy kittens at the moment as we're very early in kitten season so there aren't many around. Give it another couple of months and they won't be able to give them away.

Please don't pay for any kittens - it only encourages more overbreeding.

maxxymoment Tue 14-Mar-17 21:28:33

Yes I thought that asking for money might encourage breeding, why neuter when one can charge £100+ for a moggie. I shall visit my local sanctuary again. Do you think a boy or girl might be best to fit in with what we have?

thecatneuterer Tue 14-Mar-17 21:31:22

I don't think the sex really matters when they're neutered - it's more the personality. If you really want a lap cat then I would go for an adult that is proven to be very soppy and ok with other cats.

maxxymoment Tue 14-Mar-17 21:40:29

Well that's just what we were hoping for last time which is why we went for an adult rescue. He was so friendly in the sanctuary. We now joke that we were mis-sold! Once he'd settled in and had doubled his weight he became less and less bothered about us. He is either hunting or sleeping or hanging round his food bowl. When he is hungry he can be quite fussy but generally he doesn't need us at all. We love him now of course and he is with us for life but he is not what we ordered lol!

maxxymoment Tue 14-Mar-17 21:42:21

Thank you by the way. I was told it was better to have a male so the female older cats would be dominant and he would fit in better. I can look for either sex now because whatever we have will be neutered at the right time.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:46:00

Some cats just aren't lap cats by nature. I suspect they might be in the majority, if I'm honest. They like a stroke and being chatted to, but don't want to sit on you all night.
My cats have always been female, by chance rather than design, but current cat is my first boy and the most affectionate cat ever. He would like to be a lap cat but can only fit his bottom or his front end on a lap. No idea if that's a typical male cat though, or just him.

LikeTheShoes Tue 14-Mar-17 21:48:33

https://youtu.be/b-ELMKkHEDU

There's no such number.

LanaorAna1 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:56:28

Give the little lad a bit more time to reach peak cuddle performance. But yes, another cat is always a fine plan.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 14-Mar-17 23:37:30

How about an exotic Persian. They are short haired. My Persians are very suggly and affectionate but not lap cats. One will sit on my lap on a cushion though. I agree about the windowsill to cat ratio.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now