Talk

Advanced search

Missing cat - I don't know what to do!

(25 Posts)
ThatIsNachoCheese Tue 14-Mar-17 17:12:33

Our lovely girl has been with us since the summer, and has been missing since Friday.
We have put flyers in all the neighbours letterboxes and asked them to check sheds and garages, but have heard nothing.
We have been out to look for her and called for her but nothing sad.
I've called the local vet and left our details and have also put facebook posts up but don't know what else we can do.
Does anyone have anything else we can do to try and find her? sad
Thanks flowers

ifonly4 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:49:21

So sorry to hear about your girl, fingers crossed you'll find her soon. It might be worth knocking on doors in your road and behind - my boy found a nice cosy cushion in someone's shed! If there are any other vets fairly close phone them, also leave your number with any animal and welfare organisations in the area who may take her in.

If she is an older cat, do you know where she lived before as it may be worth checking there.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:52:46

Please keep going out every night to shout for her! Years ago my dcat went missing for 10 nights one October. . His dcatbro was howling one morning at the window - - he had made it home! - leg hanging off omg was horrid - but alive!! He lived a smashing life with 3 legs! Vet reckoned us shouting had kept his spirits up to make it home and the cold weather had stemmed the blood loss.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 14-Mar-17 17:56:11

Lots of info on the catchat website. Spreading their litter outside, contents of your hoover bag, and their bedding is supposed to help them scent their way home. Good luck.

ThatIsNachoCheese Tue 14-Mar-17 18:03:37

Thank you all.
She's only young, just over one and was a stray before that.
She's chipped thank goodness, we will keep trying to call her and will walk around later.
All the neighbours have had a flyer asking them to check sheds etc.
I'll have a look on catchat, thanks for that.
Kids are finding it hard and everyone is very quiet tonight sad

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 14-Mar-17 21:00:27

Ah bless its so hard, I know its hard to stay positive but there are so many stories of cats coming home after days, weeks, even months away. Cats are amazing, she's had a good long time with you so she'll know where home is.
There's a local residents forum called Streetlife which may help. Also on Facebook there will be specific lost and found cats pages local to you, definitely worth posting on there. Also worth contacting all your local cat rescues.
Hope she turns up soon.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 14-Mar-17 21:01:56

Also large A3 laminated posters on lampposts in your area. Cats Protection website has a template you can print out and add your details plus picture of the cat.

Chickydoo Wed 15-Mar-17 19:20:14

How's it going? Any news? Hoping that it's good news.
My 10 year old cat has been missing for 12 hours now. Not long I know, but she generally doesn't go out for more than an hour or 2. Her sister is distraught, as are we.
I really hope your cat turns up, I am going out in half an hour to have another shout around the roads to see if I can hear ours. We found her shut in a garage once. Am trying to be positive, but it is hard.

ThatIsNachoCheese Wed 15-Mar-17 19:33:48

Oh Chickydoo, I'm so sorry your cat is missing too. Sadly so sign of her yet sad, we are all just very quiet and sad. I've gone out to search for her and we've done everything thing we can in terms of posters and calling round. I think we just have to keep looking.
I really hope yours comes home to you very soon flowers

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 15-Mar-17 20:29:52

Its the worst thing when they just vanish. Keep calling & bumping it on face book.

Chickydoo Wed 15-Mar-17 20:32:38

Oh I am so sorry there has been no sight of your cat yet. I have been out for half an hour calling for ours, but nothing yet. Will go back out at 10.00 when it is quieter, might hear something you never know.
Keeping everything crossed for both of us.

ninjapants Wed 15-Mar-17 20:59:03

You're going the right things. If you're on Facebook I'd suggest posting on any local group pages you're a member of (buy/sell pages, community pages and the like), include a picture of you can.
I found someone's missing cat at Christmas time. They had advertised it as missing all over the place so I was able to check it was indeed the missing cat easily.
I hope you're little furry friend returns soon

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Thu 16-Mar-17 05:06:44

Animalsearch are great, OP.

You can narrow down the search to your exact area, then lots of local cat lovers get your cat's details flagged up immediately to their inbox and can leave sightings etc. for you.

It kept me hopeful and provided a couple of leads, when my cat went AWOL (was reunited finally, after 33 days, so keep the faith. It's Godawful, isn't it, when you're desperately searching?).

Make sure you tell (and give photos) to local pre-schools/ childminders/ nannies/ ANYone with small kids, basically...they're so observant, and often notice what we adults miss.

Really hope she's found, and safely back with you ASAP.

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Thu 16-Mar-17 05:15:14

Oh, and I risked odd looks from the neighbours, by taking a worn-that-day t-shirt, and rubbing it at strategic walls/ trees around dividing garden walls/ front of house/ nearby hedge...

You just never know if your familiar, comforting scent might make all the difference in encouraging a disorientated cat home.

ThatIsNachoCheese Thu 16-Mar-17 10:08:35

Thank you all so much for all the wonderful advice, she limped in this morning and is currently at the vets with a suspected broken leg and infected wound on her jaw, but she's home!!! smile
Any news Chickydoo? Everything crossed for good news for you flowers

thecatneuterer Thu 16-Mar-17 10:26:55

Thank heavens she's home but sorry she's injured. Poor, poor girl. It sounds like a road accident.

Chickydoo Thu 16-Mar-17 12:30:58

Good news here too!
She is home! Found her outside this morning. Goodness knows where she was for that 24 hours,but she's back.
How fantastic we've both got our little one's home safe!

PosiePootlePerkins Thu 16-Mar-17 17:44:50

Ah poor puss sad Glad she came home though and hope she makes a good recovery.
Chicky glad yours is home too!

timtam23 Thu 16-Mar-17 21:47:41

So glad to hear that both cats are home. I hope yours feels better soon Nacho

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Thu 16-Mar-17 22:00:07

So, so glad to hear your good news, OP, and Chicky (sounds like yours may have got shut in somewhere by accident? Was she very thirsty?)...have thought of both your AWOL cats a lot today.

OP,
Horrible that yours is injured, poor love, but she's in good hands now (and will no doubt be cosseted to high heaven by your kids, who must be overjoyed to be reunited with her again).

Here's to a happier and less stress-inducing weekend for you all... smile

ThatIsNachoCheese Fri 17-Mar-17 15:50:05

Thank you all! smile So pleased for you Chicky, such a relief isn't it? So glad she's back and ok.
Mine is now home from the vet, the leg isn't broken but she has suspected nerve damage and can't use it at all so she's hopping everywhere.
Her wound was badly infected but is responding really well to two lots of antibiotics and honey cream.
Back to the vet on Monday for a check up and see how the leg is.
She's so happy to be home but looks all beaten up. I worked from home today so I could be with her, I'm so pleased she's back smile going to spend the weekend having cat cuddles

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Mar-17 15:51:17

Have a wonderful weekend. Let's hope she gets well soon.

ThatIsNachoCheese Fri 17-Mar-17 15:52:39

Oh forgot to say, the vet said she wasn't hit by a car. The wound is from a cat bite by the looks of things so I think she was in a fight and then ran off and hid or got shut in somewhere. Thank God she managed to get home. Here she is all happy to be back with us smile

ThatIsNachoCheese Fri 17-Mar-17 15:53:22

Thanks Wolfie flowers

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 17-Mar-17 15:53:59

And they say dc are stressful!flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now