We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat keeps going awol, wwyd?

(8 Posts)
IRegretNothing Thu 09-Mar-17 22:28:40

I adopted two boy cats (16mnths old neutered) a couple of days after christmas last yr. They've settled really well and are friendly cats. One in particular is especially friendly and will seek attention from and follow people passing our house and lately has been going farther and farther afield.
Last week he went awol for two nights which left me and the kids frantic with worry. He came back of his own accord, no worse for wear. Various school mums have said they saw him around their estate or they've followed him home in the past. Dd has told me that her friend at school told her he was followed home by the cat and his mum apparently picked him up and was cuddling him (as you do with someone else's overfriendly cat hmm ).
He's gone awol again now for 3 days and despite looking in all of his regular haunts I've had no joy finding him. I'll be printing off missing posters tomorrow if still no sign.
Do I just resign myself to the fact that I have an especially roamy cat who likes to stay out for days on end? Or do I consider keeping him indoors (this seems a bit cruel). Surely after three days someone must be feeding him else he'd come home for food? My dds are worrying about him and it's awful having them ask every day if their cat has come home. Not to mention his littermate is pining.

IRegretNothing Fri 10-Mar-17 08:58:59

Anyone?

QuestionableMouse Fri 10-Mar-17 09:31:59

Keep him in?

QuestionableMouse Fri 10-Mar-17 09:34:33

Oh sorry missed that he hadn't come home. Have you phoned around the local vets? Also post on your local Facebook lost pet page if there is one. Try putting his bed and litter tray outside, the scent is meant to help lure them home.

Do keep him in once he's home though.

MrPoppersPenguins Fri 10-Mar-17 09:43:58

One of ours likes to frequent the stable block at the end of our road and sometimes gets locked in and doesn't come home for 24-36 hours at a time. We are just used to it now... he turns up when he likes/gets let out! It is worrying at first though.

Trustyourself2 Fri 10-Mar-17 12:54:33

Some of my cats over the years, all rescues, have been friendly with passers by and I've always worried that they'd disappear off. Over time they've lost their over friendliness and I can't help but think this is down to me and the way I am?

He might change and settle down? But you do hear of cats that just love traveling & being with lots of people. There was the lovely cat recently featured on The Vet On The Hill, who was always out and about and was even a regular at the local pub.

When he comesaid back, keep him in for a couple of days and see what his behaviour's like.

How he comes back soon.

IRegretNothing Mon 13-Mar-17 15:11:07

Hi all, thanks so much for all of your replies and advice.
We located our boy, he had been taken to a nearby rspca centre as he was found limping not far from our house. His microchip wasn't working for some reason so couldn't contact me.
Turns out he has a broken back femur and will need surgery. Luckily he is insured! He's still the most chilled, affectionate little chap ever and everyone who met him thought he was adorable!
The rspca have been brilliant, they've even lent me a large dog crate so I can keep him confined after surgery. They've also been fantastic at liasing with my vet and passed on his xrays so we don't have to get another set done.
I need to think of a way to repay them, I will make a donation and remember them when I decide which charities to support. But I'm wondering if there's anythig else I can do.
Perhaps I could donate some food/toys/blankets and take some chocolates in for the staff?

Vinorosso74 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:57:20

Poor boy! Pleased he got picked up, if only they could talk. Hope he has a speedy recovery.
Am sure the staff would appreciate some chocs or nice biscuits. Some charities have an Amazon wishlist you can buy things from. You could ask them if there are any specific things they need.
I think any donation would be appreciated by them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now