Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Losing the litter tray

(3 Posts)
TillyApple1 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:13:22

Advise needed please.
Our 2 kittens have now found the great outdoors which is great but they keep coming in to use the litter tray.
I would like to get rid of the tray altogether and get them to do their business outside like my older cat.
Any tips on teaching them to go outside please....

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 09-Mar-17 15:54:11

I would suggest keeping a patch of soil freshly dug over and clean it up regularly. However I'd still keep a tray for night time use and to try and ensure they don't use the neighbours gardens (assuming you don't live in the middle of nowhere).

GinAndOnIt Thu 09-Mar-17 16:12:38

I did this last year with GinCat, although he was a rescue rather than a kitten.

I waited until he was completely independent going out by himself, and then had about a week or so of both outdoor access and tray before attempting to lose the tray. I was home with him all day so was able to watch him out and about, and although he was confident playing/hunting/wandering outside, he kept going to dig and then jumping at small noises and running off.

I started off by putting the litter tray outside, but very close to the back door and inside a cardboard box (on its side, so he had all sides up around him apart from the front). This worked really well for him, and then I just started moving the litter tray each day closer to the spot I'd like him to use as a toilet. He now uses that same rough area of garden all the time now!

We don't have a litter tray in the house at all anymore, but I have brought it in twice in the last year. Once when he hurt his leg and I wanted to keep him in, and another time during a bad storm. I just throw it in the shed the rest of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now