Talk

Advanced search

What does my cat think when I miaow back?

(17 Posts)
Iris65 Thu 09-Mar-17 14:34:14

Any ideas?

She probably hears it differently to me but even so I wonder what she thinks?

And of course, am I the only one who miaows back?

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 09-Mar-17 15:26:31

I have a very vocal kitten and I like to think we have conversations when I miaow!

The older cat just looks at me like I've grown a second head and walks off in disgust grin

HecateAntaia Thu 09-Mar-17 15:33:20

she probably thinks youre a twat.

but tbf, cats think that about us all the time 😁

i dont often mew back (or first!) at my cat but we do have long conversations. i reply to her and chat at her while she gives me her best 'i live with fools' look and shows me her arse 😁

also, we, er, we call ourselves her mummy and daddy.

and may or may not talk for her in a variety of comedy accents

Iris65 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:11:56

Same craziness here: call each other cat's mummy and daddy. I thought it was because we don't have children together. Kitty just miaows back when I reply.
And yes she treats us like utter twats staff most of the time!

TheFurryMenace Thu 09-Mar-17 22:29:11

I miaow back to mine in response. I think we are discussing important matters of the day, she thinks 'I'm hungry, hurry the fuck up and feed me you utter twat'.

RubbishMantra Fri 10-Mar-17 05:21:42

grin Both my cats have differing miaows. I like to think I have mastered both languages. I often wonder if I've got the inflection wrong though, therefore insulting them when I reply.

TartYvette Fri 10-Mar-17 06:09:35

I don't know but I moo at cows I pass while walking the dog. I have to say they never look very impressed and our relationship, such as it is, never progresses past the initial Moo's.

TheDropBear Fri 10-Mar-17 06:12:32

Apparently cats use the same miaow with humans that they do with kittens. That's why some bring dead things back, she thinks you're a big kitten that can't look after itself grin

RubbishMantra Fri 10-Mar-17 13:30:51

Both mine are shouty boys though, who left intact, would just shag the queen, get her pg and bugger off and not give a crap about their kittens.

Do you reckon having their balls removed makes them feel more parental? Or are they displaying kittenish behaviour by shouting at me?

Trustyourself2 Fri 10-Mar-17 14:27:45

No, don't meow with mine, I stick to human speak and they respond with cat speak. I did bury my head in big girls tummy the other day and purred with her. She was really unimpressed and her face was a picture. I'm lucky I still have my head! Won't be doing that again.

Renaissance2017 Fri 10-Mar-17 14:32:44

How do you know what you're saying to her (or the cows above)? Maybe you've insulted her. Maybe you've said 'I wish I had a dog and not you Tiddles'.

Maybe you've said LTB and the cat now thinks you're secretly on Catsnet.com......

SecretWitch Fri 10-Mar-17 14:34:12

I like to think I am fluent in felinish, my cats probably think "Ahhh poor foreigner, lets pretend to understand what she's saying to make her feel better"

SapphireStrange Fri 10-Mar-17 16:21:56

Apparently cats use the same miaow with humans that they do with kittens.

That's so funny!

I tend to chirrup to our visiting cat, not meow, because it doesn't meow very much itself. I talk to it in human most of the time and it is fairly obviously thinking 'Yeah yeah, yadda yadda. Yawn.'

YetAnotherSpartacus Thu 23-Mar-17 12:37:42

This is what they think.

iklboo Thu 23-Mar-17 12:47:10

I wave at the dogs in the house opposite when they're looking out of the window blush

Iris65 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:24:59

Yetanotherspartacus That's very funny.
Love mooing at cows myself - have tried to speak crow and magpie too.
Never waved at a dog though!
Our cat has got much more vocal over the last year. Can't decide if we've trained her or she's training us! Love the extended paw when she wants something tasty too.😺

ArchNotImpudent Thu 23-Mar-17 21:32:21

I try to make exactly the same noises to my cats as they make to me. So I probably annoy them as much as my sister used to annoy me in childhood by repeating everything I said grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now