Talk

Advanced search

Spot-ons - why is it so hard to get it on skin & not fur?

(18 Posts)
LowDudgeon Wed 08-Mar-17 22:15:07

Is it just me? Am I totally inept? Do I need a tiny cattle-crush thing to squeeze my cats in?

It doesn't help that they tend to leap skywards when they feel the stuff.

Does it matter if only a bit goes on skin & the rest goes on fur but I rub it in well?

AprilLudgateDwyer Wed 08-Mar-17 22:20:04

It's really important to get it mostly on the skin. I have a longhaired cat and I have to take her to the vet and get them to put it on as I'm totally rubbish at it and it all ends up in the fur and then doesnt work!

hollinhurst84 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:23:52

Do it when they're asleep wink
I spent ages messing with his fur when he was asleep, doing little massage circles etc etc. Now I can just part fur and squeeze
He does wake up and look outraged afterwards grin

LowDudgeon Wed 08-Mar-17 22:49:03

Not just me then, yay!

I do manage to part the fur a bit but never like the drawings. (I wonder why they're drawings & not photos...hmm )

I have tried the fiddling-innocently-while-sleeping trick, but I think they can read my mind. They are certainly very good at telling when something's up in general.

Maybe I should get them done by the vet once so I can see how they do it?

Trustyourself2 Thu 09-Mar-17 00:50:31

Maybe give your cats a treat whilst you're doing it, to distract them.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 09-Mar-17 09:50:48

I get the vet to do mine as they are long haired. Having said that my parents very short haired cat is even harder to do. You can't part his fur in the same way.

EachandEveryone Thu 09-Mar-17 09:59:45

How does it work i can never figure it out!

Trustyourself2 Thu 09-Mar-17 10:06:53

It's very easy. Take a look at this.

www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwj9yIOmlcnSAhXsKMAKHdsBDigQiE4IGzAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA&sig2=9wPQT9L3JnRE-MP0orasFg

Trustyourself2 Thu 09-Mar-17 10:12:30

Sorry, that didn't work. Anyway, youtube have videos showing you how to do it.

LapdanceShoeshine Thu 09-Mar-17 12:04:24

Thanks for that idea, Trustyourself smile

I've been putting it much further down, just in front of shoulder blades - it looks as if it would actually be easier to put it on that high up. I'll do that next time. (Might try sitting on them too as suggested in one of the written things I found grin)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=1cH8dojZV_A

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:25:25

It's very hard to penetrate the ruff here, it's a definite two person job. Luckily blob cat is extremely tolerant and takes the view that all attention is good attention.

Icequeen01 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:26:10

OMG! Look at that ruff 😀 Not sure why but that photo made me laugh so loud my DS told me I was weird! I have a hard time parting the hair on my two hairy terrorists and the second they smell the spot on they go mad and are off out the cat flap. The stuff also stains their fur black for a few days which is really strange but something to do with their ginger hair I assume. Here are my hairy boys.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:47:38

His ruff is hilarious, don't blame you for laughing! One person to part and pun and one to dollop is the way forward. Try to apply in several spots, rather than one, then it doesn't get on the fur so much. Lovely ginger boys, by the way!

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:48:12

Part and pin, not pun!

Icequeen01 Thu 09-Mar-17 21:08:34

He's totally fabulous! What a gorgeous cat. I love the way he is peering over the top of his ruff. He has a snooty Royal look about him, we are all peasants in his eyes 😀

lljkk Thu 09-Mar-17 21:14:03

I have a longhaired cat and I have to take her to the vet and get them to put it

omg, R U insane? that would cost £30 each time at my vet. shock and it means regular transporting cat in carrier/car which they hate both.

My long hair cat is easy. Hair grows longer but not so densely. His very dense short-hair brother is the challenge, but not impossible.

Imissmy0ldusername Thu 09-Mar-17 21:18:36

I might see if our vet manages better than I do - only problem is that he's as short as I am, and the cat spends the majority of her appointment on my shoulders. She simply will not get down, and if I remove her from my shoulders, she uses her considerably sharp claws to claw her way up my body to get back to my shoulders. She's a total dick bag.

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Thu 09-Mar-17 21:26:13

Gorgeous cats in photos -I love your ginger boys, Icequeen!

I have short haired boys but had a long haired cat too, I pick them up with one hand under the chest (leaving their back legs on the floor) and squidge the drops through the fur on their ruffs with the other hand. I have to be quick to catch them though, they want to disappear when they hear the capsule breaking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now