Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed re pregnant cat

(14 Posts)
Pineapplemilkshake Wed 08-Mar-17 19:48:07

Hi, I would appreciate any advice as this will be our cat's first litter!

We have two female cats, a year old, they are sisters. One of them is pregnant, the vet thinks she is due in 2 weeks. They both get on very well and live in our kitchen, with free access to the garden day and night via a cat flap. They tend to sleep separately - despite having a cosy bed, one sleeps on top of our dresser and the other prefers to sleep on top of the cat tree.

My question is - do I need to separate them in case the non pregnant one attacks the kittens? Is this likely or will it just ignore them? My dilemma is - we are out most of the day at work and if I shut the pregnant one inside the house it won't have access to outdoors. We are also due to go on holiday for 2 weeks when the kittens will be about 3 weeks old. My parents will visit daily to feed the cats but I do t like the thought of the cat being shut inside as it enjoys being outside.

I am of course arranging for them both to be spayed once the kittens are older. We have potential homes for this litter but I would like it to be the last!

Any advice will be much appreciated.

cozietoesie Wed 08-Mar-17 20:08:56

Why not have the one who isn't neutered spayed directly? (And watch the other cat like a hawk. They can become pregnant only days after giving birth.)

Pineapplemilkshake Wed 08-Mar-17 21:13:45

Actually yes I think I will do that rather than wait! I initially thought they were both pregnant as they both had prominent nipples, but there is a massive difference between them in size over the past week. I couldn't get hold of the non pregnant one to bring to the vets last week for a scan as she was outside, but I think I'll make an appointment for her to get checked and hopefully spayed this week.

Pineapplemilkshake Thu 09-Mar-17 10:19:22

Anyone?

BertieBotts Thu 09-Mar-17 12:53:00

Why are you letting them out when unspayed?

Pineapplemilkshake Thu 09-Mar-17 18:22:31

Because we were hoping that one of them would have kittens before we get them spayed.

I'm just looking for advice on our currently pregnant cat thanks!

Wolfiefan Thu 09-Mar-17 18:24:53

FFS. You can't leave a new mum with three week old kittens whilst you go on holiday.
Why did you want kittens? To sell?
Get not pg cat neutered ASAP and get advice from the vet about the other cat.
Cat flap stays shut.

Vinorosso74 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:38:22

OP I don't think you will get much sympathy here. Agree with going to the vets for advice and getting the other spayed asap as there's clearly a fertile tom out there. I don't think it's fair to leave her for your holiday either.
I don't think you've been very responsible regarding the welfare of your cats. Cats don't have to have one litter before being spayed.

Pineapplemilkshake Thu 09-Mar-17 18:39:11

No I am certainly not planning on selling them hmm We have several good friends who are keen to offer suitable homes. The non pregnant cat is being spayed tomorrow.

Pineapplemilkshake Thu 09-Mar-17 18:40:42

My mum has since kindly agreed to stay here to look after the cats while we are away, so they will be very well looked after.

monkeyfacegrace Thu 09-Mar-17 18:43:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Pineapplemilkshake Thu 09-Mar-17 18:57:30

shock

There's no call for personal insults. Clearly it was a mistake asking for advice, I think I'll leave this thread now. Thanks to all those who replied.

cows573 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:27:52

I would recommend keeping especially your pregnant wee one in. Otherwise, when the time comes, she could have the kittens outside and you might struggle to find them.

If you are only wanting one litter of kittens, I would recommend getting your other wee one neutered immediately or keeping her indoors too.

Your cats may or may not need to be separated after the kittens are born. I would keep them separate at the start until you see how the non-mother behaves towards the kittens.

Hope this helps!

Empireoftheclouds Tue 25-Apr-17 23:43:52

Don't let either cat out until they have been spayed ffs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now