We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Poorly cat. Would appreciate some advice.

(6 Posts)
LadyNellCardross Wed 08-Mar-17 09:44:39

So our 6 year old male cat has been under the weather since the weekend. I noticed he had gone off his food on Sunday, which is unheard of, and he started finding quiet corners to sleep in. He normally is very chatty and affectionate but just wanted left alone. I noticed he was limping when he came upstairs on Monday evening so made an appointment for the vet to check him over yesterday. She could find no evidence of broken bones and doesn't think he's been hit by a car or been in a fight, but is definitely sore around his back legs. She gave him a painkiller by injection and an anti-inflammatory and said he could be showing signs of joint pain. To give him Metacam for the next few days with his food and hopefully he'll perk up soon. I don't think he has eaten anything overnight and when I carried his food bowl to him this morning he turned away. How do I get him to take the painkillers if he won't eat, and how long is safe for him to go without food? I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Jonsnowsghost Wed 08-Mar-17 09:56:24

Sorry to hear your cat is ill sad he shouldn't go more than 24 hours without food as it can cause serious liver issues. Have you tried microwaving the food so it smells a bit stronger?
Failing that you could try giving his meds in some tuna (spring water tin) or some other meat he'd like? Or even cheese!
What food do you feed him at the moment?

Trustyourself2 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:42:08

Did the vet check his mouth as well? Maybe he has a problem with his teeth?

I give 2 of my cats Loxicom every day for pain relief and they love it, so no problems there. My other cat, who I've had to give it to recently, hates it and I have to be tough with her by getting a good hold of her and pop the pippet in the the side of her mouth and squirt it in. It's not easy, but at least it gets in there.

UpdateRequired Wed 08-Mar-17 10:47:56

Try warmed pilchards in tomato sauce or white fish/chicken. Metacam shouldn't be given on an empty stomach. If he still won't eat the least he'll need is some lectade syringed every hour or 2 to keep his digestive system moving and keep him hydrated. Hope he perks up soon.

Trustyourself2 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:56:07

Take a look at this.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FFRf9PB17Wo

LadyNellCardross Wed 08-Mar-17 11:21:28

Thanks so much for all your responses. His teeth were checked and seem fine. I've offered him a variety of foods this morning and he actually limped away. Normally he'd be stuck in immediately. He's sleeping on my bed now but is quite listless. I will keep trying but if he hasn't taken anything soon I'll have to phone the vet for advice. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now