Talk

Advanced search

Grooming a long haired cat?

(7 Posts)
FunkinEll Tue 07-Mar-17 20:53:50

How often should I groom my long-ish haired boy? I manage a couple of times a week but it's not his favourite pass time. He won't let me anywhere near his belly.

I use a comb first then a soft brush which seems to keep his fur mat free. Is this enough?

Trustyourself2 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:05:51

Everyday is recommended, especially if he's very untidy and knotted. Eventually, you can groom him a few times a week. That's what I do with my 2 longhaired boys. You could try to comb his Belly when he's standing up

scaryteacher Wed 08-Mar-17 00:38:23

I use a pair of purple rubber brushes that my long haired boy seems to cope with. He will lie on one side and let me groom him, then turn over for the other side. He will also let me do under his neck, and I have a crack at doing his tummy when he is on his side.

He lets me know in no uncertain terms when he has had enough.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 08-Mar-17 06:16:04

I use a cheaper version of a tangle teaser and a metal comb. I've also got a dog grooming rake which works a treat. I do them every other day as they have fairly easy coats. They get occasional knots round their legs. I also have a professional groomer give them a good going over from time to time.

Bluwilllowtree Sat 11-Mar-17 04:45:52

My long haired cat gets groomed everyday with a very cheap brush (£1ish from b and m!) And I also have a more expensive comb called a furminator (£20) wich is briliant! It takes off every single peice of loose fur! When my girl is molting I can take of enough one session to make another cat! I use this comb once every 3/4 months, it is amazing but I just don't need to use it alot because it does that much of a good job.

WingsAloft Sat 11-Mar-17 04:51:38

Every day, but our chinchillas never let us get into their armpits and bellies properly so we kept their undersides shaved. Two or three visits to the groomer each year were enough as long as each shave was fairly close to the skin so it took a while to grow back.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 11-Mar-17 04:58:53

I was told by two groomers that furminators are not great as they don't deal with the undercoat. I get far more off with the metal comb. And it doesn't make them static.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now