Talk

Advanced search

Feeding new kitten and working

(6 Posts)
justpeachy74 Tue 07-Mar-17 10:48:48

We are due to pick up our new kitten in a few weeks. As I work 3 full days per week my question is what should I do about feeding her whilst I am at work? I understand that they eat smaller more frequent meals when they're young. I am considering a timed feeder to cover during the day as well as a normal ceramic bowl for when I am there. I have no experience of these feeders.
We were due to collect her at 8 weeks but I am now thinking to wait another 1.5 weeks as this would coincide with the Easter holidays when either DH or I will be at home. I think it would make for a happier settling in period. What do people think? My DC1 is not impressed about having to wait longer. Is there anything I need to consider about waiting longer than 8 weeks? e.g. are the vaccinations time-sensitive? or her first visit to the vet?

loaferloveforyou Tue 07-Mar-17 17:00:28

My kitten only eats when he feels like it. So I left out some biscuits and a little bit of wet food and he was fine. I still do that now but as I've got to know him I know when he's hungry and when he's just attention seeking

As long as they have good access to the food and water and is kept away from the litter tray it shouldn't be a problem

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 07-Mar-17 17:16:02

I'd wait, 8 weeks is ok but she's never been away from mum before.

witwootoodleoo Tue 07-Mar-17 17:18:35

I'd wait. Most pedigree breeders won't let you collect them before 12 weeks as there is benefit to be had from leaving them with mum for longer- they also learn a lot about playing gently etc by staying with their litter mates.

justpeachy74 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:07:22

Thank you. I do feel she would benefit from staying with mum a bit longer. The cat owner is going on holiday so 9.5 weeks is as long as we can leave her there. I don't know when her litter mates will be going to their new homes.

witwootoodleoo Tue 07-Mar-17 23:05:29

Worth leaving until 9.5 weeks even if littermates are going early as I'm sure her Mum will also have something to say about it if she gets too bitey grin and of course you have the benefit of then being around to settle her in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now