Talk

Advanced search

Am I under feeding?

(4 Posts)
QueenFuri Tue 07-Mar-17 10:04:31

I have a 2.5 year old female she thinks she's a princess . She's around 3kg and has biscuits in the morning which she usually takes the day to eat and a pouch of Felix as good as it looks in the evening as that is the only wet food she will touch and if I don't give her wet she gets grumpy. Reading the box of wet food it says she should be having 3 or 4 pouches a day? I don't think she could get through that amount! She's an indoor cat and is very playful bitey and sleeps the day away on my bed so she seems happy enough?

nestofvipers Tue 07-Mar-17 11:46:39

Mine get as much as they want to eat. I've always done this with my cats and would only control amounts if they were overweight.

If your cat isn't underweight (which if she is a small cat, 3kg isn't), I wouldn't worry about the quantity she is eating unless she's either losing weight or her appetite has changed.

MsMims Tue 07-Mar-17 12:47:56

She will need much less food being an indoor cat and I find the guidelines on pet food generous in any case. She may just be petite but the best way to check is search google for a cat weight/ obesity chart and see where she fits on that. Judge by how she looks rather than an exact weight.

Allergictoironing Tue 07-Mar-17 18:15:59

My pair are medium & large indoor cats, and their indoor formula dry food recommends about 45-50g a day if they have a pouch of wet as well (per cat that is). They actually get 1.5 pouches a day between them plus near enough ad lib kibbles, though they do self-regulate & rarely eat all the wet and never clean up the dry. They do tend to play with each other a fair bit (racing up & down the stairs sounding like a herd of hippos when I'm trying to sleep!) as well as getting play time with me so they get good exercise for indoor kitties.

If your cat is well covered with a good glossy coat, and isn't bolting down any food as soon as it goes down, she should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now