Talk

Advanced search

I hate my fat cat

(49 Posts)
bagpackbagpack Tue 07-Mar-17 07:35:59

Ok he isnt fat anymore, which isn't part of the problem. He is a British Short Hair so a big cat.

We re-homed a few years ago, he lived with 6 other cats and although is supposed to be an indoor cat he was used to going outside, and does so for all his toileting needs.

Any way he needed to go on a diet (he weighed 9.5kg when we got him) we wasn't successful with this until we moved house a year ago, suspect neighbours where feeding him, despite me repeatedly telling them not to.

He is now a healthy 7kg, we had no problem with the housemove, he seemed to love our new big back garden, frequently gift us with dead mice and the likes, but since he has lost the weight he is constantly bothering for food and his personality has completely changed.

He Is now slim enough and fit enough to get onto the work surfaces, and he will eat anything left out. I turned my back a second and he ate some buttermilk pancakes I got out to put in toaster!

I just found him in the sink licking the tomato sauce off last nights dinner plates, (that haven the been washed up yet!) he had just been fed too.

He literally begs like a dog if we are eating, so we have to kick him outside, where he meows, scratches and begs to be let back in.

I found him helping himself to my curry the other day (spicy one too.)

I just can't cope with the constant pestering for food, from about 5am he is up meowing loudly, scratching at doors and carpets and I can't walk into the kitchen without him getting into a frenzy knocking his bowls over and jumping up at me to be fed.

I am thinking now about just letting him be fat again, he was happier fat, he acts like he is being starved to death currently.

We feed him the correct amount of food as prescribed by the vet, he has access to fresh water and as he goes outside, anything he can scavage!

What do I do? We are all unhappy! It's been going on form 3-6 month so now, since the new diet started to work..

EsmesBees Tue 07-Mar-17 07:39:32

No real advice, but it's not just you. My cat has a propensity to put on weight (we rescued him at 6m and he has been obsessed with food ever since) and the vet told us he needed to go on a diet. I used to feel so sorry for him as he was obviously hungry and had no idea why. He would also steal anything left out.

bagpackbagpack Tue 07-Mar-17 07:40:22

Sorry my autocorrect is going off on one this morning! Hopefully the above is understandable!

SoupDragon Tue 07-Mar-17 07:44:41

Do you have my cat? He went from 7.5 to 6.5, and has put 300 g back on in the last year, and is miaowing for food all the time. I weigh to all his food and he does not get any more than the appropriate amount for his weight.

I can't leave anything out on the work top either, not even plates with a smear of anything.

It's SO annoying!

bagpackbagpack Tue 07-Mar-17 07:46:34

He was licking some lemons I had cut up for drinks last week, I thought cats hated lemons citrus fruits...

hrfvenia Tue 07-Mar-17 07:47:08

My two cats are exactly the same as this and are correctly wormed etc. I took them to the vets multiple times convinced something was wrong until I got a vet who said even his cat was exactly the same.

I think it's just part of their personality, and you're right, when he was fat he just didn't have the energy! The only thing that has slightly worked with ours is vuscuits out constantly (takes them a while to self regulate) and wet food at random times, sometimes not at all for one or two days.

I think we've tricked them and they are more cat like so to speak. Mins are nearly 6 years old so not a young stage either!

hellooooooomama Tue 07-Mar-17 07:47:38

You can get other foods which make the cat feel fuller, with the same number of calories. Talk to your vet about alternatives, I'm sure you can find a solution. This doesn't sound fun for you or your cat.

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Mar-17 07:48:00

Every cat I have ever had (about 10) had whined and winged fur goid constantly. It's a cat thing.

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Mar-17 07:48:19

Every cat I have ever had (about 10) had whined and winged fur goid constantly. It's a cat thing.

bagpackbagpack Tue 07-Mar-17 07:54:46

See my old cat was a tiny dot of a thing, had her from a kitten, and never pestered for food!

I would find he sat on my head some mornings, but she just wanted the company and for me to be awake!

lavenderandrose Tue 07-Mar-17 07:56:31

Mines the same. I think most toms will just eat and eat and EAT. I have two males and a female and the female is fine - just eats when she's peckish. The boys will wolf down a sachet of food and then be standing over the bowl miaowing. They also thunder to the kitchen whenever I move which is really annoying!

SoupDragon Tue 07-Mar-17 07:59:17

You can get other foods which make the cat feel fuller, with the same number of calories

Yes. That's the food my cat is on. It doesn't stop the constant demand for food!

Wolfiefan Tue 07-Mar-17 08:01:06

Don't leave anything out. Anything. At all.
Feed the cat when you eat so he's not pestering.
Can you offer a tiny by more food? What good is he on? Maybe it's not satisfying enough.

bagpackbagpack Tue 07-Mar-17 08:02:52

Oh no SoupDragon I was just googling this magic food!

I have just been to the loo, cat pig (not his real name but our affectionate nickname for him!) came charging up the steps and meowed very crossly at me for daring to wee, instead of feeding him...

bagpackbagpack Tue 07-Mar-17 08:06:22

wolfie he has a mixture of dry and wet, we have tried a few different brands.

He has 4 pouches of wet food a day, and biscuits!

witwootoodleoo Tue 07-Mar-17 08:07:49

You might like to look in to switching to raw. It leaves them feeling much fuller and because it doesn't contain the carbs and fillers of other food it's less fattening usually.

My cats are a nightmare on normal food but much more content on raw. If you don't want to make your own you can buy it pre-done e.g. Nutriment.

ShotsFired Tue 07-Mar-17 08:08:25

Maybe you could try splitting out his meals more? He may be stuffing his face and not really registering what 's he eaten. If he gets to learn another meal will be along shortly, it might help?

Also, your OP may contain the answer - if he was with 6 other cats before, he may have simply grown up bolting food any possible time he could. Survival of the fittest and all that. With the diet, he might now feel food is becoming scarce so hes back to fighting for any scraps going.

I think time and consistency will win the day here.

bagpackbagpack Tue 07-Mar-17 08:09:04

Pre-diet cat pig...

SoupDragon Tue 07-Mar-17 08:10:19

FatCat is on the Royal Canin "Satiety" food. It used to be called "Obesity" I think. He's not even on the lowest "active weight loss" amount which is tiny!

he needs to go in for some dental work soon so I'm going to ask if they've can fit a gastric band wink

bagpackbagpack Tue 07-Mar-17 08:12:05

My cat actually needs a tummy tuck now, he has a saggier belly than me since losing the weight!

bagpackbagpack Tue 07-Mar-17 08:13:35

Did think about raw, deffo don't have time to make it myself! Thanks for the tip, had no idea you could buy it in!

ememem84 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:14:34

Catface went to the vet yesterday. She's 2. And weighs almost 5kg. She is a tabby shorthair.

Vet suggested we cut her food down a bit to bring her weight down to just over 4kg. She is indoors so does minimal chasing things (usuallly two hourly bursts a day).

She comes into the bedroom at 5am and meows. Until someone gets up. I dragged myself out of bed this morning at 645 to feed her. I used to just give in but am trying to train her to get fed on my terms. and so far am not winning

We don't leave food out. But she has gone for some pizza and tried to get in my bowl of pasta last night..:.

tutorwho Tue 07-Mar-17 08:15:07

My cats are the same too.

I have to make sure plates are thoroughly cleaned and that no food is left out.

I've left a Capri-sun out before and came downstairs to nibble marks in it.. my cat obviously thought it was a cat food pouch grin

SoupDragon Tue 07-Mar-17 08:15:22

My vet recommended an anti-gulp bowl - it has prongs/pillars sticking up from the base so they have to fish the food out rather than wolf it down in 30 seconds.

dingit Tue 07-Mar-17 08:15:30

Not helpful, but cat pig is gorgeous.

I have a cat pig, and she's started stealing from worktop. Don't know the answer I'm afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now