Talk

Advanced search

Positive stories of kidney disease please!

(6 Posts)
fluffandsnuff Mon 06-Mar-17 21:08:52

Fluffycat was due to be anaesthetised for dodgy teeth. Then got a ring from the vet to say his blood results weren't right so they weren't going to do it until they investigated what was going on. hes now been diagnosed with kidney disease- he's only about 7 and had a pretty rough life before we got him (we think he has a badly mended pelvis- no one is quite sure).

So- anyone got stories of cats living happy lives with this for years? Anyone's got a not too old cat with arthritic joints and kidney disease?

Just praying he lasts for a bit. My 2 year old loves that damn cat 😢

isadorable Mon 06-Mar-17 21:12:54

My cat started with a diagnosis at nearly 8... He's going to be 18 in May. It hasn't all been plain sailing and we're close to the end I'm guessing but he's been very happy, very loved and loving and hasn't spent too much time ill or suffering. You need a good relationship with your vet and yu need to try to convince him to eat the special food.

Hope this helps.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 06-Mar-17 21:16:00

The IRIS stage of the chronic renal failure important to IME scale. Patients IRIS stage 2 do well for many years, stage 3 several years and stage 4 less time.

isadorable Mon 06-Mar-17 21:20:15

Thanks Lone, this is what I mean about a good relationship with your vet. We're at stage three now and at his age I'm watching for his quality of life but he started at stage 2. Our vets have helped me help him but also stay realistic.

fluffandsnuff Mon 06-Mar-17 21:21:29

@isadorable he's eating the special diet thank goodness. So nice to hear you can have lots of good years still, thank you.

Not sure where on the scale he is yet- no outward symptoms so a complete shock.

isadorable Mon 06-Mar-17 21:28:26

Yes, it was a total shock when it happened to mine. i have found this website www.felinecrf.org useful too... For example, they list regular cat foods that are OK (mine loves chicken cat soup). Hopefully if he's got no symptoms he's at the start of it and you can have lots more time. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now