Talk

Advanced search

Would you "ground" your cat in these circumstances?

(20 Posts)
Soubriquet Mon 06-Mar-17 13:33:00

Toots has been going outside the last few weeks. However over the last few days her behaviour has been really strange.

She wants to be outside all day, refuses to come in and then when she is indoors, she is petrified of my dh-who hasn't done anything.

Now don't get me wrong, him and toots don't get on really. They tolerate each other but this reaction is strange even for her.

So we've decided to ground her for a few days to see if it makes a difference to her behaviour. Something outside might have spooked her maybe?

What do you think?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:31:42

Yes I'd ground her.

We've had this with ours, we had building work done & he's very skittish now with Dh. Literally has a breakdown every time Dh moves suddenly.

Soubriquet Mon 06-Mar-17 15:34:18

That's what she does! If he even moves towards her, she immediately hits the floor as if he's going to hit her. She even wedged herself under the kitchen cabinets yesterday. Somewhere where she can't really fit anymore. She's lucky she didn't get stuck.

Dh would never lay a finger on her but something has seriously freaked her out.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Mar-17 15:35:54

How old is she? Is she neutered? How long have you had her?

Soubriquet Mon 06-Mar-17 15:53:27

She's nearly 1, had her since she was 6 weeks and she's been neutered for about 2 months now

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Mar-17 15:56:47

Maybe a new cat in the neighbourhood has her spooked?

Soubriquet Mon 06-Mar-17 16:00:28

Possible

Something has spooked her that's for sure. She did have a scab on the side of her head too but that was the only wound

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 06-Mar-17 16:11:37

Sounds like a fight wound.

We've had ours for 7.5 years! He does have the grace to look embarrassed when Dh does the "will you stop that you've lived here for years" speech.

Yesterday he bolted because Dh put a scarf on.

Soubriquet Mon 06-Mar-17 16:22:28

It's so bizarre

She's never really liked dh but has put up with him because he's there. Recently though you would have thought he had smacked 10 shades of shit out of her. She just runs in pure terror. Won't even come in the house if she thinks he's nearby.

He has to hide in the living room whilst I coax her in hmm

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Mar-17 16:23:37

Can he take over feeding duties and be the hand that holds the dreamies?!

Soubriquet Mon 06-Mar-17 16:45:53

I've already ordered him on dreamie duty! Even she wasn't that scared for that. She is a dreamie addict which is handy.

Soubriquet Wed 08-Mar-17 17:42:56

Not happy with dh today.

She had a freak out episodes and wedged herself under the cabinets

So dh banged on the cupboard to scare her out even though I told him to leave her.

She freaked out that badly she's been hiding upstairs under my duvet for the last 6 hours! She hasn't moved at all. And I've been up here with her. She won't even be coaxed out with dreamies.

witwootoodleoo Wed 08-Mar-17 17:46:49

Do you think a male neighbour could have harmed her and now she's freaked out by men in general? Sadly I think the banging on the cupboard will have set things back a fair amount

Iris65 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:47:01

DH sounds a bit silly not realising that banging would frighten her even more. Are you sure he's not scaring her when you're not around?

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:47:12

shock

Cats are very sensitive souls. Snack him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

Soubriquet Wed 08-Mar-17 18:27:34

No he doesn't normally do shit like that. He just doesn't like her going under there in case she gets stuck. He's looking at blocking it off now.

She still hasn't moved. Going to get her tea soon so hope she will reappear soon. And I don't know what's frightened her so much but something really has. I think I might get a feliway. See if that helps her at all

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 08-Mar-17 18:32:11

Zylkene? It's £10 for 20 days supply.

Pets at home sell it.

Soubriquet Wed 08-Mar-17 18:33:29

That's tablets isn't it? She's not so good with pills

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 08-Mar-17 18:37:27

You can open the capsule and empty it into her food.

Probably best to limit her time with him at the moment anyway. Our cat took 6 years to accept Dh.

Soubriquet Wed 08-Mar-17 18:43:42

Ah that will work then. I'll have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now