Talk

Advanced search

Transitioning a dry food addict to wet - mission impossible?

(8 Posts)
Cailleach Sun 05-Mar-17 19:50:42

Hello folks,

Wondered if I could pick your brains on this one.

Had a rather tricky week with Ivy - she's come down with cystitis, which appears to be taking its sweet time to clear up so it's back to the vet asap next week - she had an injection of metacam the Friday before last and also a course of medication to sprinkle in her food but she's still having issues although shes not quite as bad as before.

Anyway, I have realised in the meantime that she is a total dry food addict and that she just won't touch wet stuff. She drinks tons - is always begging for the tap to be turned on - but obviously I need to transition her slowly over to wet food for the good of her health.

Two questions - one is "how"? And also "with what"? What's a good quality food that I can entice her with?

frazzled3ds Sun 05-Mar-17 20:04:38

Could you perhaps mix in some wet food with the dry - if you go for one with a gravy base rather than in jelly that may help, and the biscuit may soak up some of the gravy too. My two eat both - there's a bowl of dry biscuit out most of the time, and then they each get a sachet of wet (in jelly) morning and evening (I bulk buy a box of Whiskas pouches from Amazon on their subscribe and save thing each month). I'm lucky that my two aren't fussy - they'll eat pretty much any brand of cat food from supermarket own to Whiskas - I've never bought them anything ridiculously expensive though! Maybe the vet could give you some advice on best foods too - I don't think there's an issue with a cat only having dry food if that's what they like.

Cailleach Sun 05-Mar-17 20:50:00

Yes possibly - she won't touch Whiskers or anything cheap, will try her on something a bit more upmarket - bloody prima donna that she is, only the best will probably do, knowing Madame as I do!

frazzled3ds Sun 05-Mar-17 21:04:23

I'm so lucky with my two that they're really not picky! Good luck with finding something she likes (and sticks with - my friend has a cat who goes through phases of liking things... as soon as she buys a decent amount of a particular food, her cat will instantly decide he no longer likes it, refuse to eat it and she's back to finding something else for him!)

Cailleach Sun 05-Mar-17 22:16:24

Yes, that sounds awfully familiar to me as well...!

EachandEveryone Mon 06-Mar-17 23:02:04

Can you try putting that licked stuff on wet food. Mine won't eat dry unless I do that. The Sainsbury's posh cat food is good quality in the sachets, she also likes hilife and her favourite is Lily's. We've been through them all! I try and keep her grain free.

Trustyourself2 Mon 06-Mar-17 23:32:04

Have you tried prescription dry or wet food for urinary problems, from.the vet? My girl's on prescription dry food and, so far, it's working. She does eat whiskas wet food as well, and tuna in spring water, and she drinks a little bit.

Cailleach Tue 07-Mar-17 11:25:13

No not yet, Trust - I'll ask the vet on Thursday, we have an appointment then.

Each, can you tell me what the "licked" stuff is...is it a brand name because Google doesn't return anything under that name when I search?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now