Talk

Advanced search

Goodnight my brave boy

(15 Posts)
Potentialmadcatlady Sat 04-Mar-17 18:45:52

My cat that you all give me so much good advice on over the last while has gone. In the end it wasn't his heart or his kidneys or his episodes that got him..He kind of chose for himself.
After a difficult few weeks when he was clearly going downhill and the meds weren't working well enough he decided this week to stop eating. I took him to the vet who gave him some more meds to see if we could get him turned round, tried all sort of foods and treats but he had made his mind up and I agreed with my boy- he had had enough. So I adulted up ,stood up for him and told them all enough was enough. Thankfully the senior vet agreed with me and we let him go earlier today quietly and with the dignity I wanted for him.
We are all heartbroken and I miss him a lot already but I loved him enough to not let him go through any more. As sad as I am I am strangely relieved that he is at peace, that the worst has now happened and now we just need to heal and get our other pets through it as best we can. He was such a character and the house seems so quiet without him even though there are three other pets/fosters still here.
The vets came to the conclusion this week that he probably had the dry form of FIP and that is what was causing a lot of his various problems. He would have had it before he got to me and we did well to keep him here as long as we did..He never stood a chance with all his problems but we did wanted we wanted to do and gave him a good if very short life.

something2say Sat 04-Mar-17 18:49:33

I am very sorry to hear that. Much love xxx

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 04-Mar-17 18:51:36

I am very sorry for your lossflowers Your decision to let him go was the kindest one for him. RIP dear puss.

BigcatLittlecat Sat 04-Mar-17 18:52:38

He sounds so loved. I'm so sorry for you though, they get into your hearts. Go gently on yourself. Xx

Alex83 Sat 04-Mar-17 19:06:34

So sorry for your loss, he sounds like a gorgeous boy. We lost our boy to FIP back in November, it's such a terrible illness. You did all you could for him in the end and were strong when he needed you the most flowers

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 04-Mar-17 20:14:47

I'm sorry to hear that, but it sounds like the correct decision from the right place. Of course you miss your cat, but you gave him a dignified end and that was the last in a long line of kindnesses for your beloved pet.

cozietoesie Sat 04-Mar-17 20:32:04

I'm very sorry.

cushioncovers Sat 04-Mar-17 21:01:12

So sorry

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 04-Mar-17 21:10:18

I'm so very sorry flowers

MrsMozart Sat 04-Mar-17 21:49:21

Rest in peace little one xx

Wolfiefan Sat 04-Mar-17 21:52:16

I'm so sorry for your loss but you did the right thing to ensure a dignified ending and not a painful prolonging of life without a chance of recovery.
It's hard though. Be kind to yourself. flowers

LemonRedwood Sat 04-Mar-17 21:56:30

I'm so sorry for your loss Potentialmadcatlady flowers

Well done for your brave adulting and doing the right and kind thing for your lovely boy. More flowers

Potentialmadcatlady Sat 04-Mar-17 23:10:06

Thankyou..I knew you would understand. It's very hard this evening, he was a very special cat- you know one of those ones that just walks into your life and grabs your heart with both paws- quirky,funny,stubborn and very very loving..the kids are broken-hearted but they understand. He was dearly loved and will be missed,I keep expecting him to wander heavy footed into my room ( he sounded like an elephant when he walked around).
Thankyou for the flowers and understanding

RubbishMantra Sun 05-Mar-17 07:02:43

Oh, I'm so sorry Potential. I hope your little Devon girl is being a comfort. flowers for you and your boy.

Potentialmadcatlady Sun 05-Mar-17 09:50:32

Devon girl was very close to him, they were rarely apart, always cuddled up and playing together.. She is very different today almost like she has realised he is gone.. Yesterday she was demanding and very naughty.. Today she is clingy and quiet. The other foster ( who didn't get on with him very well) is pacing the house continuously like she is looking for him. The dog hasn't left my side and is very subdued. It's a beautiful day here and I would love to go out for a long walk and a cry but I'm not going to leave them on their own so will stay in. The kids want another rescue/ kitten already..not because they don't miss the boy but because they want to help another animal straight away to make them feel better.. I could go to rescue today and come home with one ( they know us very well so no home checks etc) but I need to resist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now