Talk

Advanced search

Ex-Ferals - 9 months and counting

(11 Posts)
Allergictoironing Fri 03-Mar-17 17:02:22

Well a little over 9 months, it's that time of year at work so my brain is frazzled.

They are still coming on in leaps and bounds, with breakthroughs on a regular basis. They are settled into a pretty regular routine now, though they have changed their favourite sleeping places a few times. Having ignored it for over 6 months, they now both love sleeping in the igloo - if boycat is in there & girlcats wants to, she climbs on top until the roof sort of caves in so he gets out & she, being smaller, can get in.

They have the run of the whole house now day and night bar the toilet, and have taken to sleeping on my bed during the day (though never when I'm in it). Girlcat has a couple of neighbouring boyfriends who come & sit on the outside windowsill while she sits on the inside, poor lummox of a boycat still hasn't worked out how to join her up there though grin.

They both now enjoy fusses and both love having their tummies stroked for ages, writhing around on their backs with bliss & pushing my hand into their favourite spots with their paws. They are getting better with visitors now too, including when my (male) best friend was round recently girlcat let HIM scratch her on the jaw after a couple of hours.

Such a difference to the terrified little things that we didn't even see for days when they came home, would run away in panic if anyone moved in the same room for weeks, and wouldn't be touched for about 3 months smile

thecatneuterer Fri 03-Mar-17 17:04:50

That's lovely. It's so rewarding when difficult cats come round isn't it?

DoraChance Fri 03-Mar-17 17:08:06

That's lovely. I had an ex feral years ago. He was very small when I got him and took some taming but when he came round he was the best cat I've ever had. I think he thought I was another cat - it was the strongest bond I've had with a moggy. Still miss him!

cozietoesie Fri 03-Mar-17 17:55:13

smile

PolterGoose Fri 03-Mar-17 17:57:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Allergictoironing Fri 03-Mar-17 18:00:43

I'm hoping that with the updates I've done on mine I can show that rescues who had a bad start, and particularly ferals, CAN come around & become sweet loving house cats if you give them space and time. Mine had been left at the rescue for a year because they were so shy around people and everyone wanted friendly cats, whereas I passed over the very friendly ones as I knew they would find a home easily.

The sheer joy and pleasure I get when they run up to greet me when I get in from work takes all the stresses of the day away - even though I know it's because they want their Dreamies rather than me! grin

Allergictoironing Fri 03-Mar-17 18:02:17

I am now going to ambush boycat & stroke his tummy so he purrs so loudly I can't hear the TV properly grin

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:15:58

Poor souls having a whole year with no mommy, they deserve their dreamies for that alone.

cozietoesie Fri 03-Mar-17 20:26:46

Any pictures of them, Allergic? smile

Allergictoironing Fri 03-Mar-17 21:09:53

Got issues with my phone and PC deciding they won't talk to each other at the moment, so can't post any up right now. Not that black cats are the easiest to photograph well - black blobs with occasional glowing eyes is just about all I can get of my furballs!

cozietoesie Fri 03-Mar-17 21:29:31

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now