Talk

Advanced search

It's happened, my beloved old boy has died.

(11 Posts)
freshstart24 Fri 03-Mar-17 11:05:11

I posted about my poorly old boy a few days ago. Sadly after being in and out of the vets since Monday we had to have him PTS last night.

He has improved awesomely on Tuesday so the vet sent him home on Wednesday but as soon as he got out of his carrier I knew something else was wrong. He couldn't lift his head up. I called the vets several times but they advised it was just the journey gang had upset him as he had been so well before discharge.

But I knew it was more than that. I could tell he wanted to lift his head, but was unable to. So I took him back that night at 10pm and they said he's developed a potassium deficiency which meant he couldn't use his muscles. Vet was v hopeful that they could sort it, so we checked him in for another night.

But yesterday it became clear that this time they couldn't fix him and that he was beginning to suffer.

DS, my DP and I sat on the floor of the impatient ward with beloved cat and we held him and stroked him and showered him with love. We could all see that our cat was not himself, and that the time had come. DS cried a lot but was very brave in front of our cat.

Then the vet arrived and DS went home with my mum. I checked over and over with the vet that we were doing the right thing. The cat already had a line in his leg from having a drip and the vet put the injection into the line and he slipped away instantly. It was peaceful. We stayed with him a bit, and I stroked him and covered him in his blanket.

Yesterday I was so sad but I admit to feeling some relief that he was no longer suffering, and that I wasn't faced with so many tough decisions any more.

Today I am just sad. I thought I'd be ok today- I'm a grown woman and have coped better with bigger challenges. But I'm so sad that my furry friend didn't get to see this day, and that we won't get to sit quietly together again. He's been my friend for 18 years, through thick and thin and I miss him.

I cannot stop crying.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 03-Mar-17 11:40:10

Big hugs. Your boy had a lovely life with you. A d you stayed with him till the end. He will have known you were there and that you lived him. You know that you did the only thing you could for him. The ultimate act of love. flowers

Botanicbaby Fri 03-Mar-17 12:55:37

Aw it's so sad but please take some comfort in that he had you till the end which is the best he could have ever hoped for, to have a caring human companion who could be trusted to do the right thing for him. So many animals sadly don't have that.

You'll miss him loads, I know exactly how you feel though I've been there myself. Take good careflowers

DramaAlpaca Fri 03-Mar-17 13:12:31

Oh I'm so sorry.

It's so hard, but take comfort in knowing you've done the kindest thing for him.

<hugs> flowers

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 03-Mar-17 14:47:11

I posted on your other thread. Sorry to hear your sad news. I'm pleased you were all able to say goodbye to him and that it was peaceful. RIP dear pussflowers

Yiayoula Fri 03-Mar-17 14:59:27

Posted on your other thread also flowers.
When our last cat had to be PTS the vet said to us that we were holding him and loving him to the very end, and a lot of human beings don't get to have that.
Didn't really take it in at the time tbh, but it has been a great comfort since.
Thinking of you xx

Vinorosso74 Fri 03-Mar-17 15:11:01

I'm so sorry. You tried your best for him and he had a wonderful long life RIP puss

whatiswrongwithyou Fri 03-Mar-17 15:12:21

Shedding a tear with you flowers.
So sorry that you're going this, it's a real heart wrench when they go, they're such a huge part of the family. I cried for a long time after I lost my old girl, but it does slowly get easier.

Trustyourself2 Tue 07-Mar-17 00:12:36

So sad for you. It's very hard when you have to let them go. They're always with us, never forgotten.

AyeAyeFishyPie Tue 07-Mar-17 21:46:09

That made me cry. I'm so sorry. Your boy was lucky to have you.

Chocolatecake12 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:50:21

Along with pp I'm crying too.
It sounds as though your boy was so well loved and you did the right thing by him.
Treasure your memories.
flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now