Talk

Advanced search

Night time meowing

(7 Posts)
badgerread Fri 03-Mar-17 09:20:52

We got our lovely rescue 3 months ago. He's a neutered 7 year old, very affectionate and lovely. He doesn't really want to go outside due to the fact I think he's had a scrap with a neighbourhood cat. He really has to persuaded to go out during the day. However. At night it's a different story! 3am he's yowling to get out (he's VERY chatty in general. We think he has a bit of Bengal in him) and he carries on for about an hour. I did used to go and let him out at 3am however my neighbour complained he'd been meowing outside her (bungalow) window at 5am.... he has free run of the house but if I shut him out of my room he scratches at the door. Can anyone help? I'm absolutely shattered!!

hollinhurst84 Fri 03-Mar-17 09:54:59

Welcome to my world grin
Things that help a little bit - I make mine go out during the day (I'm cruel!)
He either sleeps on my bed which seems to help or if it's a v bad night I shut him in the kitchen as its the furthest room away and he can shout if he wants

squeak10 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:56:52

Couldn't you get him a catflap so he can come and go as he pleases?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:58:12

How about a playtime session before you go to bed to tire him out??

Trustyourself2 Tue 07-Mar-17 22:15:17

Is he just yowling at night time? If not and he yowls during the day, he might have hyperthyroidism? One of my cats has this and is on medication. I've also found that closing my bedroom door with him in the bedroom, seems to work and he doesn't yowl. I do have a litter tray and biscuits in the room as well, in case he needs them during the night!

nottinghamgal Tue 07-Mar-17 22:16:20

When you find out the answer let me know ;)

Are you leaving some food down in case he's hungry?

badgerread Thu 09-Mar-17 22:45:46

That's interesting Trust. He does yowl a lot in the day too? But is perfectly fine in very other aspect? I do leave him dry food out all the time and try and let him out before bed time. Re a cat flap, I live in a mid terrace with no back door, only a patio door, so would have to get the flap put in that which isn't a problem, I'm more worried about him upsetting the neighbours! Although if he can get back in it may stop I suppose?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now