Talk

Advanced search

How can you tell if a cat is lonely

(11 Posts)
LiquoriceWheel Tue 28-Feb-17 06:53:09

Are there any obvious signs that a cat could be lonely or depressed? My one year old cat doesn't seem to want to play much anymore. She just wants to sleep and eat. Sometimes she'll be in the mood to play 'hide and seek' but that's not often. She has every cat toy known to man and a cat tree and a cardboard playhouse. Also my DP works part time so she's got company. Why does she seem like a little saddo confusedsad

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 28-Feb-17 07:52:10

I think that sounds like adulthood. They do quieten down a lot once they are out of the kitten phase and cats sleep about 15 hours a day.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:48:36

Sounds normal to me. Wait for the spring with all its inexperienced baby birds to murder.

reallyanotherone Tue 28-Feb-17 20:53:20

Cats don't get lonely for other cats.

I generally go by the rule that if they're not destroying the house it's all good smile.

RubbishMantra Tue 28-Feb-17 21:00:07

Even my hyperactive Devon sleeps a fair amount of the time. And an earthquake wouldn't wake him.

Do you play interactively with her, dangly fishing rod toys, like these?

Does she have outside access?

astormgivenflesh Tue 28-Feb-17 21:00:31

We had one cat who used to make an odd noise, kind of like a meow but longer and he'd pace about. Vet said he was 'echoing' and trying to find another cat so we got him a kitten playmate. They got on brilliantly and used to cuddle, sleep together and play. When cat 1 passed away, we were worried about 2 getting lonely so kept an eye on him. He started crying too and our neighbours said they could hear him meowing 💔💔 so we then got a new girl kitten and again, (after a few teething problems!!) they get on great! Lots of playing and cuddling and if one is outside the other meows and looks for them and it makes me so glad we have pretty much always had two! I work from home now and they are inseparable which makes me certain getting her was a good decision but I know that some cats prefer being on their own so I guess it depends on the cat! 🐱🐱

RubbishMantra Tue 28-Feb-17 21:16:17

MCat does the long yowly Miaow you describe, flesh. If he can't find Little M. he cries into corners/at the ceiling.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:25:33

Mine does it but he's a total bastard to other cats apart from the black cat he was friends with where we used to live.

timtam23 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:52:10

My cat sleeps almost all the time at the moment but as soon as spring/summer are properly here, we hardly see him as he's always out and about. He's 3 now and has had the same behaviours over winter/summer since he grew out of the crazy kitten phase

LiquoriceWheel Thu 09-Mar-17 10:55:56

Sorry for falling off this thread! She's an indoors only cat (lots of reasons). I think it might be settling down into adulthood, her tail is up but relaxed when she walks around. Sometimes it curls at the tip and I've read that's good. I just love her so so so much, I want her to be happy.

LiquoriceWheel Sat 01-Apr-17 11:30:36

Update. The answer was food intolerance! I was feeding her those super premium cat foods and she has trouble digesting it the poor mite. We have been feeding her special kibble stuff from the vet and she's so much more alert and her number two's are nowhere near as bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now