Talk

Advanced search

Poorly cat

(29 Posts)
Mummysh0rtlegs Mon 27-Feb-17 18:09:56

I groomed my long hair cat last week (he doesn't need it often, he doesn't get knotty, I just do it every month or so to stop the shedding) and today and yesterday he has been being sick with a lot of fur in it. He seems ok in himself but he isn't eating much and the bit of tuna I gave him earlier has mostly come up. HUsband is away on business and I have two small toddlers so getting to the vet is going to be tricky, what should I look out for to say he needs to be seen? He is drinking a little water and eating tiny amounts. The sick is quite yellow but small quantity, couldn't tell you about his bowel movements, he goes out for that.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 27-Feb-17 20:01:06

I would take him. Not eating is a red flag.

They hide illness really well.

Mummysh0rtlegs Mon 27-Feb-17 20:06:31

He's finished his tuna now, I can't do anything tonight and he doesn't seem like he needs emergency vet, I'll call them in the morning.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 27-Feb-17 20:11:40

Sounds like a hair ball and now he is likely just giving his tummy a rest after being sick. . Betting he is OK tomo. Maybe eggs for breakfast?

Mummysh0rtlegs Mon 27-Feb-17 20:15:55

He's a biscuit boy so he's got some Canagan down. He's acting normally, sleeping all over the house, having strokes, washing. THe first sick was mostly fur and each one has less in it.

Picks his moments to be poorly!

cozietoesie Mon 27-Feb-17 20:36:06

The trouble with grooming is that it often loosens an amount of the fur so you might need to do it fairly regularly to avoid them ingesting loose stuff. I don't know how old he is but it might be a good idea to do it more regularly than you're currently doing.

Mummysh0rtlegs Mon 27-Feb-17 20:41:59

He is 4.5, how regularly should I be doing it? I've never had long hairs he is a rescue we've had since he was a kitten. He was a tabby kitten that was a tiny bit fluffy that has turned into a giant hairy thing! I use a furminator, he tolerates it well and I get a hell of a lot off him. God I really wouldn't want to be making him ill sad

cozietoesie Mon 27-Feb-17 21:13:00

Goodness, I doubt you are. smile If he'll learn to tolerate a grooming, though, you should get loads out if you do it - say - a few times a week? (Nothing grand - just flanks and back, mainly.)

cozietoesie Mon 27-Feb-17 21:16:58

PS - 4.5 doesn't even signify, really, in terms of age. I was thinking more of if he was elderly and needed some assistance. Still - it's a good habit to get them into. smile

Mummysh0rtlegs Mon 27-Feb-17 21:17:38

He is more than happy to be groomed, I have just never developed a habit of doing it as it is sooo messy! I'll aim for three times a week then, thank you so much.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Feb-17 21:20:04

If you do it, remember it doesn't always need to be a production number. A few passes over the flanks and back will suffice if you're busy. smile

Mummysh0rtlegs Tue 28-Feb-17 13:31:25

Vets at 4.30, please think of us! (I will be struggling with a 3 year old and an 18 month old so not going to be fun). I've offered sardines, cat soup, tuna, dreamies and he won't have anything and is still being sick. Very, very worried now.

cozietoesie Tue 28-Feb-17 13:39:36

Keep calm. (Or as calm as you can.) let us know how it goes. smile

Vinorosso74 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:57:34

Fingers crossed for him; he does sound poorly but am sure the vet will get to the bottom of it.
Good luck with the kids too.

cozietoesie Tue 28-Feb-17 16:36:24

Thinking of you.

Mummysh0rtlegs Tue 28-Feb-17 18:41:18

I managed to catch him and get him in the basket, my three year old tried to help bless him, but found it all very distressing. Vet has kept him in and he is having antisickness and antibiotics overnight. He's had bloods and they just showed raised white cells. If no better tomorrow they will do xrays to see if he has a blockage. They are hoping he will rally and eat something and poo for them to show he has a gastro bug and that will be it. Thanks for the handholding! I'll update tomorrow, the house is quiet without my boy!!

cozietoesie Tue 28-Feb-17 18:43:07

You'll know he's in the best place if he's poorly though.

Let us know how he gets on - and hope the DCs are OK.

Mummysh0rtlegs Tue 28-Feb-17 18:48:33

I bought them happy meals for dinner as I was so done in, so happy enough now. Hearing your best friend crying the whole way to the vet has to stick with a boy. Definitely in the best place, the vet rang me and was so lovely. Husband is in Texas so will field calls overnight if he deteriorates but he said no reason to expect that. He also said his teeth weren't too bad so that's a positive, I was expecting to hear his teeth were all knackered and so were his kidneys. Just fingers crossed for no blockage now!

cozietoesie Tue 28-Feb-17 19:17:23

Try to get some rest once the DCs are down - even if you can't sleep. All the best.

Vinorosso74 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:22:27

Pleased nothing nasty has shown up. Hopefully he perks up overnight and it was just a bug or he's eaten something which hasn't agreed with him.

Mummysh0rtlegs Tue 28-Feb-17 21:41:26

It's weird hoping he has an upset tummy over night so it means he has eaten some crap he has found and hasn't got a big blockage in his tummy. I'm so glad I took him, it was when he wouldn't eat any of the things I bought I knew it had to be serious.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 28-Feb-17 21:53:28

Fingers crossed for your boy. It's really hard.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 28-Feb-17 21:55:12

When my girl refused lik e lix I knew she was poorly. She adores them.

witwootoodleoo Tue 28-Feb-17 21:59:51

Fingers crossed it's just a bug. Just to say I wouldn't furniture much more regularly than you do now as it can strip too much of their coats. I'd stick to furminating once or twice a month with a brush with a normal grooming brush a few times a week to get rid of any loose hair.

Hope he's feeling better in the morning.

cozietoesie Tue 28-Feb-17 22:55:49

Ah. We don't furminate - just use a brush comb so that's probably much much gentler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now