Talk

Advanced search

Any tips on how to get a cat to use a flap?

(17 Posts)
SaveFerris1 Mon 27-Feb-17 15:43:05

We've just had new doors fitted and have finally had a cat flap installed. Any tried and tested tips how to get her to use it, we're trying to encourage her with chicken, dreamies etc but she's not keen!
Thanks

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 27-Feb-17 15:45:55

You need two of you, one either side of flap, and just keep posting the cat through.
Gardening gloves are a good idea...

ThisisrealityGreg Mon 27-Feb-17 15:48:49

Take it slow, don't force them through as they'll get bad associations. Hold it open for them for a few days so they get used to going in and out, they'll be nervous of the smell/noise for a while. Put bits of food on the ledge so they can associate it with nice things.

xStefx Mon 27-Feb-17 15:50:20

Yep, I ahd to just shove my cat through a few times before it clicked with her lol, it did work... was quite funny too
May need two of you

fucksakenethuns Mon 27-Feb-17 15:50:57

Post cat, give treat. Repeat.

Placing treats on catflap ledge also good to overcome click noise hesitation if you are using a clicky flap like the microchip ones.

Then also ignore door opening exit requests by pointing at catflap etc.

Coming in will not be a problem when it is this cold out smile

I have a greedy bastard mog though.

xStefx Mon 27-Feb-17 15:51:18

Theres no bad association with it, she flies through it now. Cats are pretty tough cookies

SaveFerris1 Mon 27-Feb-17 15:52:26

Ah thank you, all good advice. I guess it'll take a bit of time. She just looks at me like I'm mad, and stares pointedly at the door handle! Will persevere smile

xStefx Mon 27-Feb-17 15:56:53

lol good luck OP :-)

raindripsonruses Mon 27-Feb-17 16:00:30

I saw something about having a covered or shaded area that the cat goes out into. Maybe it feels too exposed when it goes out. A chair? Or a couple of leafy plants? Something that allows it to stay sneaky. At least while it gets used to the idea. Pain in the arse for you, I know but maybe worth it.

HemanOrSheRa Mon 27-Feb-17 16:04:23

I used to show mine how to use it. Not climb through myself, that would be silly - my arse would get stuck grin. I'd lift the flap outwards and make a great hoohah about it going to The Outside. Same in reserve when they are stood outside looking sad. Also pawing at the cat flap myself to show that it does indeed flap smile. Although the danger if doing that is your cat may learn that this is really annoying and is a very good way of getting your attention.

00100001 Mon 27-Feb-17 16:08:01

Yes, basically post your cat through it. They'll get the idea.

00100001 Mon 27-Feb-17 16:18:28

Yes, basically post your cat through it. They'll get the idea.

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Mon 27-Feb-17 16:24:28

Sellotape it open so they can practice going through without having to push the flap.

One if mine took 6 months to use it! Posting him through just scared him even more. Eventually he figured out that he didn't need to sit outside in the cold rain for someone to let him in.

TheLongRider Mon 27-Feb-17 16:39:15

I've used a matchstick or cocktail stick to prop it open a bit so that they can smell the outside. Also so they get used to the feel of the catflap on their back when they slide through.

Most of my mogs have got used to a flap pretty quickly. I've had one or two "forgot" how to use it and looked piteously at me to open the door, they got short shrift. We had one maniac red tabby female who would gallop at top speed through the flap. She took the door off a couple of times and you always knew when she came in because of the noise.

tabbymog Mon 27-Feb-17 17:50:57

My ex took on the job of teaching Cat to use the cat door. It took two hours of posting her through it, from one side to the other. Was it worth the aching back, his not Cat's? After about 30 minutes of this I was thinking that Cat was taking the mickey because she got a cuddle after each successful posting...

Thurlow Mon 27-Feb-17 17:52:37

Ours ignored it for 2 months. Then would use it if you held it open for her.

Turned out us going away for a week and her being fed by a neighbour so alone all day was what finally convinced her to try it!

Beaverlac Mon 27-Feb-17 17:59:30

Taught one cat to use it to get out by just pushing the flap a little, but it didn't realise it could come in until I stuck a suction hook on the flap, and pulled it slightly when he wanted to come back in. Soon understood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now