Talk

Advanced search

My beautiful old boy is so unwell and has stopped eating.

(18 Posts)
freshstart24 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:34:23

I rescued him a long with a little girl cat 14 years ago. They are both now about 17.

He was a big beautiful boy and has been a wonderful quiet friend all this time, through thick and thin.

He has kidney problems and we've been managing for about 18 months. Lack of appetite has been an issue, and he is now terribly thin and barely eating at all (due to kidney related nausea).

I took him to the vet this morning, and she kept him in to try a drip, do bloods and give him some injections. I could tell she wasn't hopeful.

I felt so terrible leaving him, but this approach has perked him up in the past and so I felt I had to give it a try. This time though, he is so dreadfully thin.

He does still have some quality of life- uses the cat flap, explores the gardens, loves a cuddle. It's just so frustrating that he will not eat. I do know though that cats are experts at hiding distress.

I have been unable to pull myself together all day. I love him so much and I want to do my best by him. My heart is breaking already.

My son adores him too. He will be devastated when we loose him. My son knows he is old and poorly but I was hoping I could put in a brave face in until the time comes- but I just can't stop crying.

I usually quite tough but this has floored me- especially being unable to put a brave face on for DS.

Botanicbaby Mon 27-Feb-17 14:56:49

Sorry to hear this my heart goes out to you, I know how important pets can be and how much they mean to us and our families.

Hopefully in safe hands with the vet you're doing all you can flowers

JennyOnAPlate Mon 27-Feb-17 15:00:32

I'm so sorry fresh flowers

I lost my old boy almost a year ago now and I still shed a tear now and again. It's heartbreaking.

Have faith that you are doing your best for him and trust that your vet will help you decide when enough is enough.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Feb-17 15:09:24

I'm sorry, fresh. I've been in almost exactly your position. (My Darling Twoago was a little younger than your lad is all.) It's very very hard.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 27-Feb-17 15:23:11

Very sorry to hear this. You've given him a good life. It's so hard when they are poorly. One of mine was critically ill last week and it completely floored me. So flowerscakewine

freshstart24 Mon 27-Feb-17 15:47:25

Thank you all for your kindness, and I'm very sorry to hear that so many have been in a similar position with your beloved cats.

I've sort of pulled myself together, but am pathetically still on the verge of tears.

Fingers crossed that he rallies.

PosiePootlePerkins Mon 27-Feb-17 17:15:05

Bless him. You have given him such a wonderful life, what a lucky cat. I found these words helpful when I had to have my old girl pts. (She was 18) 'better a week too early than a day too late' Its the final act of kindness, but also the hardest. flowers

Kiroro Mon 27-Feb-17 17:26:25

Fingers crossed for you freshstart24

Toddlerteaplease Mon 27-Feb-17 17:53:32

Can he be syringe fed? Mine took Royal Canin recovery formula really well.

TheSpottedZebra Mon 27-Feb-17 20:00:50

Oh no, fresh poor cat, poor you.

I've just had to leave my cat at the vet overnight - he probably has heart disease. I'm not sure I'll see him again, he might not survive the night. He's such a people cat, he'll hate being away from us.

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Mon 27-Feb-17 20:06:16

Poor Fresh and Zebra flowers

I'm a big believer in 'a week too soon rather than a day too late' and have had to do it several times with various pets ... Your vet will help you to decide the right time for the pet. You have to take comfort from the fact they've had a lovely life with you. Best wishes,

cozietoesie Mon 27-Feb-17 20:08:05

I'm sorry for Zebracat, Zebra.
fresh*

You need to be very clear headed right now and very strong. It needs to be all about him and his quality of life.

freshstart24 Mon 27-Feb-17 21:16:15

So sorry to hear that zebra, sending hugs.

I've never heard the saying 'better a week to early......'. I have to be honest and say I'm struggling to get my head around it- my own way of thinking is that it would feel so wrong to have him put to sleep if he has even a day of a nice life left. However, I can see that the saying means a lot to several posters and as it strikes a chord with people who have already been through this I can see that I need to try to think along these lines if I can.

Don't misunderstand me- I don't want him to suffer. But he has rallied so well before and despite not eating, he has still been up and about and enjoying a fuss.

Maybe I am in denial. I do love him dearly, and I am clear that this must be all about him and not about me not wanting to let him go.

My partner loves him too, but is more pragmatic and will help me with any decisions if I need him to. I also think I trust my vet and her advice- she seems very compassionate but also practical and she has god to know the old boy quite well.

I so wish he was here so I could be fussing him and hearing him purr.

freshstart24 Mon 27-Feb-17 21:19:17

Sorry that last sentence sounds like it is all about me- I meant if he was here I think he would be contentedly curled up and purring on my lap- but he's in a cage at the vets and probably confused and unhappy sad.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Feb-17 21:24:20

Remember, fresh, that cats have no foreknowledge of things. I kept on hoping my Darling Twoago would rally and start eating properly but he didn't. I was kidding myself - and at the same time becoming used to his new condition.

It's very very hard.

TheSpottedZebra Mon 27-Feb-17 21:30:43

I don't think your last sentence sounds all about you at all! Just that you want him to be ok, and happy, with you.

It's good to have trusted vets. Maybe tomorrow you should have a conversation and see what she would advise?

timtam23 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:57:18

So sorry, fresh flowers
Maybe if he rallies, but the vet thinks his time is limited, you could bring him home & make a huge fuss of him before going back to the vet? I did this with one of my cats who was very old & had terminal cancer. In some ways it helped to have some very nice memories of him at what was otherwise a really sad time

Catnut Wed 01-Mar-17 22:10:24

I understand the comment about a week too early. I've had 2 cats pts due to kidney failure. One was 14, the other was 16. The 14 yo reached a slightly more advanced stage (couldn't walk, yellow sick...it was awful). I didn't let it get that far with the 16 yo, but I'm sure she was only a couple of days away from being that bad. The end can creep up unexpectedly. You can't really know which will be your cat's last good day so just trust your instincts. My heart goes out to you xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now