Talk

Advanced search

Black cats and kittens

(47 Posts)
FunkinEll Mon 27-Feb-17 11:11:29

My 2 moggy kittens are black but with white roots. Is this what all black kittens have? Will the white turn black as they grow?
Here'a a pictures of Griff's belly where it is more obvious but all his hair has pale roots and black tips. His sister is simar but with short hair.

hapagirl Mon 27-Feb-17 11:18:52

Is it white or grey? I have a black and white cat and was quite intrigued to see she was grey where they shaved her.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 27-Feb-17 11:19:59

More gorgeous pics needed for full assessment!!

offblackeggshell Mon 27-Feb-17 11:20:50

I'm pretty sure that ours were both black to the roots when they were tiny. One of them did have a sort of chocolate glow, but that went properly black when his fluffiness lessened.

hapagirl Mon 27-Feb-17 11:21:03

Sorry meant to shave shaved her black bits for spaying.

QuestionableMouse Mon 27-Feb-17 11:22:24

That's black skin. Mine is black and has the same colour skin. My tabby cat had pink skin, especially where she has white fur. It might darken a little as they grow but it's unlikely to change much. I'll post some pics if I can get hold of both cats!

Athome77 Mon 27-Feb-17 11:24:11

My black kitten (born last July) his black hair is black all the way to his skin. He has a few white patches, round his neck and socks.

ExplodedCloud Mon 27-Feb-17 11:25:12

One of mine was ostensibly black but his fur was a mixture of grey and black. If you parted the fur he was all white at the base of his fur. Never changed.
My other black cats have been black from the roots to the tips.

TheLittlePaperbagPrincess Mon 27-Feb-17 11:28:27

Kitten tummy! Yay!

FunkinEll Mon 27-Feb-17 11:30:07

Most of the roots are white but it is grey in a couple of places.

His sister is black but has brown tabby markings in some lights. They're very excitable this morning so getting a good picture is difficult

Chrisinthemorning Mon 27-Feb-17 11:32:01

Will search the house to find my 2 and report back. Gorgeous kittens

FunkinEll Mon 27-Feb-17 11:33:45

And here is Pearl, you can just make out her stripes in the face picture. Her roots are grey rather than white.

FunkinEll Mon 27-Feb-17 11:36:21

Her skin is white I think as she has a white patch where they shaved her for neutering

DumbledoresApprentice Mon 27-Feb-17 11:48:13

I think what you have there is a black smoke kitten. Smokes have a lighter under coat. The longhaired one may well develop a lovely smoky ruff as it gets older. Beautiful kittens. envy

GerundTheBehemoth Mon 27-Feb-17 11:50:07

Black fur with white at the root is known as 'black smoke'. It's rather uncommon among moggies and very striking as there is often a definite tabby pattern visible. Here are a couple of pics of a black smoke kitten (left) with her normal black sister/s (and their tortie sister too).

FunkinEll Mon 27-Feb-17 11:56:48

Oooh, black smoke, sounds very exotic grin.

Isn't the variation in a litter of kittens amazing. There were 7 of them in the rescue centre. One was short hair, light tabby. There was Pearl who was black with short hair. Then Griff and another 4 kittens who were black with long hair.

GerundTheBehemoth Mon 27-Feb-17 11:57:11

Oooh, your pics appeared while I was still searching for the pics of my friends' kittens grin Yes, they both look like black smokes. Beautiful kittens.

ExplodedCloud Mon 27-Feb-17 11:59:05

Ooh the black smoke moggy is definitely what mine was smile He was like a teddy bear. Miss him sad

Okite Mon 27-Feb-17 12:03:22

I had one of these! She was gorgeous but impossible to get a good photo of because her fur always looked weird in pics. Fur specially designed to show up on any colour of clothing!
It's quite unusual, I think my vet at the time said it was a Persian characteristic so she probably had some Persian ancestor somewhere way back.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 27-Feb-17 12:05:30

Our boys have grey roots, I think they darken as they get longer but they are now going grey behind the ears a little.... must be the addition of two mad kittens turning the older boys grey!

GerundTheBehemoth Mon 27-Feb-17 12:08:20

Often one litter of kittens will have two or more fathers... and there are so many colour mutations in the cat genome that could be hidden away as recessive traits, but be expressed in the kittens if carried by both parents. The whole thing is fascinating!

DumbledoresApprentice Mon 27-Feb-17 12:15:04

It's also quite common in Maine Coons. Your boy definitely has a Maine Coon sort of look about him with those big triangular ears.

Wolpertinger Mon 27-Feb-17 12:51:34

Mine is black as black can be - but hair has grey roots. Now getting the odd white hair as she gets old.

Love the subtle tabby pattern yours has.

Okite Mon 27-Feb-17 13:41:29

Can I ask fellow black cat slaves owners, do your black cats have black whiskers and feet etc? I have a black cat now who is like a black hole, she is so dark. I've been trying to figure out why she looks so much blacker than a 'normal' black cat!

troodiedoo Mon 27-Feb-17 13:44:36

So cute! Lovely cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now