Talk

Advanced search

Smoking cigarettes around cats. Dangerous?

(26 Posts)
RubbishMantra Fri 24-Feb-17 17:34:00

DH used to smoke a lot. So I expect it was a sort of back ground smell. I smoke, not as frequently as he did. When I light up now, MCat isn't bothered, he was with DH from a kitten. However Little M jumps off my lap and glares at me.

Is second hand smoke harmful to cats, I'm wondering. Might have to give up, or at least start smoking outside, or invest in a vaper. (I had a couple but lost them.)

On the upside, my cigarette use has reduced considerably. Downside - pleasure of smoking is cancelled out by guilt.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:10:43

The smokes probably harmful to them, it could be the lighter he's more scared of.

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:28:23

I would assume risks are similar to second hand smoke for humans?

hollinhurst84 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:41:33

Not sure. I vape and Ollie doesn't mind it at all! I keep the liquid well out the way obviously

DearMrDilkington Fri 24-Feb-17 18:46:00

You shouldn't smoked around animals, It's harmful to them as it is us.

DearMrDilkington Fri 24-Feb-17 18:46:24

Smoke, not sure where the d came from.confused

peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 24-Feb-17 18:53:05

Presumably it must be harmful to any creature with a respiratory system similar to ours.

DorotheaHomeAlone Fri 24-Feb-17 18:59:09

Second hand smoke is more harmful to cats than other humans as they're much smaller. Please don't smoke around them and if you do switch yo vaping be very careful with refills etc. The nicotine is incredibly toxic and cats are very inquisitive.

KellyElly Fri 24-Feb-17 19:03:23

I've never heard of a cat having lung cancer, so not sure. Ask a vet.

Wishforsnow Fri 24-Feb-17 19:05:58

I smoked around my cat and she lived until 20 so no issues there. Would she have lived to 25 if I hadn't? Doubtful I think

PartyPolitics Fri 24-Feb-17 19:11:54

Yes it is. Just as harmful as it is to children. Not likely to develop lung cancer due to second hand smoke (same as humans) but asthma is rife in cats these days (as it is in children). I work in a vets and I can smell a smokers cat a mile away, they stink the whole place out.

RubbishMantra Fri 24-Feb-17 19:11:55

Oh crap, I'm going to have to give up, or at least start smoking in the garden. I had a sneaky feeling, because apparently cats are quite prone to asthma.

<trundles off to look at vapers. Which will of course be kept well away from cats' pokey paws>

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:26:58

Just smoke outside.

KellyElly Fri 24-Feb-17 19:34:09

It's a cat. Don't kill yourself with stress, it's not your child. Just smoke outside from now on.

passthewineplz Fri 24-Feb-17 19:35:12

I assumed that it would be the same for pets as it is for humans.

A quick google search confirms that smoking around pets increases their changes of developing cancer and asthma.

Cats are especially at risk as they'll ingest the toxins as they clean their fur www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/pets-health/12073331/Second-hand-smoke-linked-to-pet-illnesses.html

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:43:49

Ooh you could have your own smoking shelter with a heater & a little seating area but with no annoying people.

RubbishMantra Fri 24-Feb-17 20:02:21

I wish I could Fluffy. Its a shared courtyard, and I've had a few, um, words with my 50 yr old neighbour who plays Robbie Williams until 5 in the am. He's very annoying and generally hates women in general. Please can I borrow Asbo to make horrid neighbour leave?

I've had a demented scramble quick rummage and found my vaper, and it's now on charge. The liquids will probably gone to shit after a couple of years though?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:17:35

Yes, keep him as long as you need him.

RubbishMantra Fri 24-Feb-17 21:27:14

Hello Asbo, goodbye neighbour. grin

hollinhurst84 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:32:04

I could lend you stable cat? She would terrify anyone on a dark night

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:50:05

Mind you,I have an open fire and multi fuel stove, so not sure the coal smoke ( particularly if the wind is blowing it back down the chimney) is any better shock

RubbishMantra Sat 25-Feb-17 00:53:19

Oooh, a cat army to drive off horrid neighbour. That would be most welcome. grin

ExplodedCloud Sat 25-Feb-17 01:09:24

I smoked in my kitchen but nowhere else and dcat3 had a cough. I started smoking outside and she stopped coughing.

Allergictoironing Sat 25-Feb-17 07:59:06

Stopping smoking was one of my criteria I had to fulfil before getting my cats - as a pp said, they don't just breathe it in but lick the toxins off their fur when grooming. Been vaping for over 2 years now, had the furballs for 9 months.

The e-liquid could well be a bit past it by now, but even if you don't have a local shop many of the mail order companies are very quick (I use onepoundliquid, very cheap and also very quick). Pop over to the stop smoking forum if you want any help or advice on vaping smile

EachandEveryone Sat 25-Feb-17 09:54:37

Ive smoked for thirty years. I have my first kitten and shes seven months now. At first i used to put her to bed in the kitche as i only smoked on an evening. She hated it. As soon as i lit up she'd leave the room. She was the reason i gave up. Its been only a month with a blip last weekend when i was out with a friend. Do it! I did Allen Carr and i hope ive cracked it. I would hate the thought of her stinkng the vets out. I know what its like when patients have been smoking at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now