Talk

Advanced search

Not cat related, but dead fox in my garden!

(10 Posts)
Cailleach1 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:53:49

Hi,

Sorry for being a bit cheeky as this is not puddy related. However, you guys may have more of a clue about what to do.

I went into my garden today and found the body of a dead fox. I haven't touched it and indeed am at a loss to what I should do. I don't want to bury it in my garden. Would it be a horrible thing to do, and I don't know if it is even allowed to put it into the rubbish bin. The fox is kind of big.

Please give me the benefit of your cogitations.

ASDismynormality Wed 22-Feb-17 19:55:32

This happened to my friend, she called the council who told her to put it in the bin!

I would be tempted to put it on the street and then report to the council so they would collect.

HandsomeBoys Wed 22-Feb-17 19:57:01

I would bag and bin. I do with the animals my hunting cats bring home.

Cailleach1 Wed 22-Feb-17 20:01:11

Handsome, your cats would be doing well to bring this size of an animal home.

I suppose the bin idea is the only way to go. I'm dreading having to deal with the carcass. I suppose I'll have to bring some black sacks out. Bin day is tomorrow. Sorry for poor animal to be disposed of along with the scraps. Nothing else I can do.

RedBugMug Wed 22-Feb-17 20:06:37

look on your council website. ours says to put on the kerb to be collected.

RedBugMug Wed 22-Feb-17 20:07:13

or garden waste/food waste bin?

Vinorosso74 Wed 22-Feb-17 20:17:17

I wouldn't think garden waste! Food waste maybe but it would never fit in the box....
DP saw one out the front a while back, council removed it.

Cailleach1 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:00:14

Thanks for tip about council. I have done an online report. They say they remove from private gardens too. If they don't, I guess I will bin the body. I hope other animals don't work on the body tonight.

MamaMoose1 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:10:41

I couldn't bin it. I moved a huge squirrel out of the road a few weeks ago, which had been freshly killed, I hated the thought of cars driving over it, it's just not dignified to me. Or maybe you can transport it to some woods and leave it there, to decompose? Do you know why the fox died? Strange question I know, but there's a person going around killing cats and foxes and leaving the dead bodies in people's gardens, in public places etc. You may have heard about it, he's named the M25 killer.

Cailleach1 Thu 23-Feb-17 12:40:45

Thanks for pointers. Foxy Loxy has been taken away by the council. Lovely thick coat. Looked very healthy. He/She may have been poisoned according to one of the guys. One of a few in the areas today. Some rotter has obviously been leaving something and lacing it. Of course, wandering cats could be victims to that as well.

I lost my tabby a while back to cancer and am contemplating another cat. I'm quite happy I don't have one at the moment if it is within a territory where someone is leaving poisoned food out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now