Talk

Advanced search

How do you do your litter tray?

(25 Posts)
TobleroneBoo Tue 21-Feb-17 13:05:04

Ours is a plastic liner, newspaper and wooden pellets

We are happy with the wooden pellets but the cats seem to trash the trays! Pulling up all the newspaper and sometimes pulling in the liner. So the pellets could be clean enough but could be buried under shredded newspaper!

Would just pellets on the liner work? Or just pellets in the tray?

How do you do yours?

cozietoesie Tue 21-Feb-17 13:13:31

I've never bothered with liners in all my years of using trays. (Well, to tell the truth, I tried them once and gave it up immediately as a bad job.) Straight into the tray goes the litter now. I have found that you/the cat really need a decent depth of litter, though, for efficient tray use. How deep are you making the trays in your own house?

ooerrmissus Tue 21-Feb-17 13:14:18

Mine just have pellets. I tried newspaper but they hated it, and I'll be buggered if I'm paying for liners. I empty the whole lot out every day so less is more.

TobleroneBoo Tue 21-Feb-17 13:17:04

Yeah I don't think I am making it deep enough. DP fills it more when he changes it and it seems to last longer before needing a change so I will start adding more

LowDudgeon Tue 21-Feb-17 13:19:54

Same as cozie - tried liners just once, shredded mess, never bothered again grin

We use oko plus, nice & deep - one fill lasts for weeks with an occasional top up. Trays are covered so the only overspill comes out on paws, & these mats are pretty good at catching most of that

Orangebird69 Tue 21-Feb-17 13:21:05

No liners. They just get shredded. We use crystal litter. I cannot bare wood pellets (neither did one of my cats - shat behind the sofa in protest). Five cats, two litter trays, one bag per tray. They spend a lot of time outside. Locked inside at night. Poop scooped every time one is done. Trays are emptied and cleaned out once a week.

cozietoesie Tue 21-Feb-17 13:22:26

Sorry - I should add that I do use newspaper but not inside the tray. (It's just opened-out papers for the trays to stand on.) Why bother?

Out of interest, Toblerone, how many cats and trays do you have? (It sounds as if you have multiple cats but only one tray.)

RubbishMantra Tue 21-Feb-17 13:26:49

I tried the liners once, and cats just rip them up when digging about.

I use Golden Grey Master litter in a lidded tray, and fill it up to around 4 inches or so? Scooping poos and wee clumps daily. They prefer to do their business outside though, treating my flowerbed as their toilet killing my plants in the process Happily, the jasmine and roses are proving to be resilient to their efforts.

chemenger Tue 21-Feb-17 13:38:19

Never used liners, I've never been sure what the point of them is. Sometimes have newspaper outside the tray but that often gets ripped up and scattered. I much prefer clumping litter, the Oko one is great. I don't really understand how the wood pellet one that disintegrates is supposed to work, how do you get rid of the soggy parts it it doesn't clump? I have to use whatever we have for the foster cats and dream of someone donating huge amounts of Oko!

TobleroneBoo Tue 21-Feb-17 13:44:14

We have two cats and two trays but they both ever only use the one. They are brothers so have always been together so seem to like to share the one tray

cozietoesie Tue 21-Feb-17 14:15:27

I use clumping litter - their preference - and scoop after use. ( Tried wood pellets once and that did not go well.) Seniorboy always tells me when one of his trays is soiled. (Apart from the wee small hours when he maintains an appropriate quiet. wink)

Badcat666 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:03:31

Liner or black bag, newspaper and lightweight litter. Mine hate wood pellets and it used to go everywhere. They much prefer the other stuff. I have a large deep litter tray with a bit that clips on the bottom main tray that gives them more privacy (like a mini trump wall) and using liner/black bag makes it easier to lift everything out come the weekly clean. They rarely claw the liner as I think they have more room.

isseywithcats Tue 21-Feb-17 21:20:13

just wood pellets in the tray one of mine digs for australia so liners would get shredded

isseywithcats Tue 21-Feb-17 21:23:18

chemenger i shake the tray and the solid stuff comes up to the top of the litter then scoop that out and the wee makes the pellets turn to sawdust it dosent go in a solid chunk so when theres more sawdust than pellets i simply tip the whole lot out spray and clean the empty tray and refill

DevelopingDetritus Tue 21-Feb-17 21:36:54

Massive tray with Sainsbury's grey gravel.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 21-Feb-17 22:19:01

I got rid of liners because they just shredded them. Used to use puppy pads but gave up on them because they needed changing more often than the litter. I scoop once daily then full change monthly.

Trustyourself2 Thu 23-Feb-17 00:03:07

I have 3 cats & 5 trays. I line the trays with newspaper, add a little bit of Tesco litter, just enough for them to scratch around in, then change, wash tray and refill after every use.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 23-Feb-17 06:59:48

I have a liner and then Catsan and, touching wood, he hasn't shredded the liner yet!

The tray is on a puppy pad as he missed a couple of times recently. I was worried there was something wrong with him until DH pointed out the tray was nearer the toilet so he had less room to manoeuvre. It's a large tray and rather than adjusting his position the lazy git just went over the edge! We moved the tray slightly and no more accidents but we're keeping the puppy pad (or pussy cat incontinence pad as I call it) just in case.

Iris65 Thu 23-Feb-17 07:06:28

Liner, then either Catsan or crystals to about a three inch depth. Liner has never been shredded. Kitty scratches the walls around her tray imstead!

Botanicbaby Thu 23-Feb-17 10:49:00

Been there done that with liner, newspaper etc with previous pets & didn't work. Used to use gravel clumping type.

Same as cozie I have spread out newspaper outside tray.

Current rescue prefers wood pellets which I don't think stink as much. Though I'm wondering now if I'm giving enough depth as I copy what rescue centre do and fill not as high but change more frequently, daily or more. Poo is instantly scooped up & taken outside. Flowerbeds are the preferred toilet here too but at least they're mine so no complaints.

Liners are not used as I know they'd be trashed. Oh and I use a massive uncovered tray so kitty has plenty of room to do that all important turning thing they do. I think where tray is placed is a big factor in how well they use it so not near busy walkway and in private corner of room helps. It's not my favourite job but I don't hate it as much as I used to when scooping clumpy trays out.

TobleroneBoo Thu 23-Feb-17 10:58:55

Thank you for all of your responses!

It will be trial and error but since posting we have tried liner, no newspaper & deep litter. It seems to be better than it was before but I think next time I will try no liner. I have managed to scoop which is unusual as it used to be a mass of shredded paper.

They have plenty of room to manoeuvre but used to scatter dust around ( I think because they were dicking around shredding the paper) so hopefully the area around will stay cleaner!

LowDudgeon Thu 23-Feb-17 14:27:56

Do try Oko plus - nice & deep - it'll be a revelation grin

Kiroro Fri 24-Feb-17 13:10:01

I have Oko plus, and fill it really deep. I have a big grey litter tray mat that the tray sits on so minimal tracking.

I scoop at least 2x day but normally 3x or more and get it out as soon as I see him use it if I see him go. Top up every couple of days.

The bag says you can leave the base litter in for 4-6 weeks but I find after 3 it needs a change.

Kitten seems happy and try doesn't smell.

lljkk Fri 24-Feb-17 19:07:27

Liners? confused

Get a really deep box like this. Unless you have ickle kittens or arthritic cats. No mess unless they knock the whole thing over.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 24-Feb-17 20:50:53

God Harry wouldn't get in there and he hasn't got arthritis! We put some of that foot high wooden border around the garden an the little sod weed up it rather than climb over it!

We use the liners to stop the wee getting over the tray not to stop him kicking it everywhere. They're £1.25 from Wilko and definitely worth it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now