Talk

Advanced search

Why does my cat chew my phone charge cable?

(11 Posts)
Polyethyl Mon 20-Feb-17 20:27:42

My cat has now chewed through 4 phone charge cables in 1 year. Why? What's the appeal?
She's a normal healthy young moggy, well fed and cuddled. Brings in the normal quota of alive mice and frogs. Sleeps on clean laundry etc. She's a normal puss in every way, except for her cable chewing. And it's just phone chargers, not lamp cables or computer cables or extension leads or any other type of cable.
Why?

kimlo Mon 20-Feb-17 20:37:11

no idea, but one of mine loves them too.

CrazyDuchess Mon 20-Feb-17 20:39:35

Same here.... and my earphones angry

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 23-Feb-17 13:49:18

Because she can't be sacked grin

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Feb-17 13:50:51

To get you off MN! grin

chemenger Thu 23-Feb-17 14:25:02

Same reason they do anything - because she can. My last fosters became obsessed with my fitbit; if I took it off they found it and stole it so they could take it away to chew the strap. A previous cat couldn't resist chewing emery boards.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 23-Feb-17 18:26:21

Nail files are popular here too.

Grandmasterglitch Thu 23-Feb-17 19:03:59

My cat does this too. Only phone chargers, no other cables, and only mine - DHs charger is unscathed. She's also removed most of the mastic stuff from our kitchen and main bathroom. I bought her a new cat tree today which she was in different to. My 2 y/o DS loved it though grin. She's had a couple of nail files and weirdly enough, her goes crazy for bag of pears. I'm not sure if it's the plastic or the pears she wants but she bats them around for ages. Pears obviously don't come out of that particularly edible!

RubbishMantra Thu 23-Feb-17 19:25:07

Little M mad for laptop cable. I have to unplug it and hide it when he gets that gleam in his eye. Also rubber bands. I bought a pack of the giant ones especially for him from Amazon. Then frantically trying to find it, in case the little tinker's swallowed it. I think it's something to do with them looking snakey.

Like ASBO, he's also fond of an emery nail file. I think it's something to do with the glue they use to stick the sandy stuff on. Gives a whole new meaning to, "Are you on glue?"

Cailleach1 Thu 23-Feb-17 21:43:24

Maybe they are the width of mouse tails and trigger a response. Also if you flick or move one part, the movement can move along the rest of the lead.

if truth be told, I haven't a clue

Cailleach1 Thu 23-Feb-17 21:48:31

Grandmaster, my OH has a theory about cat trees, activity centres etc. I said we must get an activity centre if we get another cat. He scoffed because we had one which our previous cats never, ever used. I told him about how they love it on the Foster Dad John stream. He looked at me and asked if there was a sofa or armchair in the room the activity centre was in.

I now think they will use cushioned furniture if it is there instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now