Talk

Advanced search

Hand hold please - worried about my boy

(42 Posts)
ittybittyluna Sat 18-Feb-17 23:19:30

Some of you may remember that last year we offered a permanent home to our ninth foster cat, Humphrey, after we nursed him through an operation to remove his eye. He is bad tempered, sheds hair everywhere, is fussy as anything, but I adore him (maybe even more than my boyfriend!)

When his eye removed the vet said he needed dental work done, and that would be done at the same time. Unfortunately during his op he reacted badly to the anaesthetic and nearly didn't make it. Vet said we needed to keep an eye on his teeth, and that they were reticent to put him under again. It was also discovered that he was MUCH older than originally estimated (aged around 8, rather than 3).

Fast forward to this week and he has gone rapidly downhill. His teeth are clearly causing him pain, and after a vet appointment today he goes in for a dental on Monday. Since the eye op we moved him to a nearer vet practice who have his notes, and want to investigate why he did so badly under general anaesthetic last time. They are slightly worried that he may have a heart condition. Ultimately they have warned us that he may not make it through the op, but not fixing his teeth is not an option (and of course we want a permanent solution to his dental issues).

Basically Monday is full of unknowns and I'm bursting into tears every half an hour thinking that I'm going to potentially lose my lovely boy who's been through so much sad Any reassuring tales of weak hearted cats making incredible recoveries after dental work would be much appreciated.

cozietoesie Sat 18-Feb-17 23:49:50

Thinking of you both right now. When Deniorboy went in for his big dental at 16, it was very dodgy. Like you, I had little choice though.

In fact, no choice. Like you.

cozietoesie Sat 18-Feb-17 23:50:13

Sorry. Seniorboy.

cozietoesie Sat 18-Feb-17 23:51:08

PPS. He's still here, by the way. Dodgy heart and all. smile

ittybittyluna Sun 19-Feb-17 01:11:24

Thanks cozie, that really does help. I've just blended his food so he doesn't have to use his teeth and poor boy was ravenous. At least the meds are getting into his system and he's actually getting some nutrition over the weekend. The little things you know.

cozietoesie Sun 19-Feb-17 01:29:59

Best of luck to you both. Let us know how it goes. smile

Toddlerteaplease Sun 19-Feb-17 07:05:08

Hugs op. One of mine almost died this week and is still very poorly. It is the worst thing in the world. Hope it goes ok. Xx

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 19-Feb-17 19:45:05

I'd imagine they'll take extra care of him, he can't go on like this though so it's not like you can wait.

I'll be thinking of him tomorrow.

LanaorAna1 Sun 19-Feb-17 22:11:32

Thinking of you. When Mr C had a mammoth dental he got a bit wobbly and had to spend an extra night in the hosp but he was fine within days.

Oh, the nerves tho' - am with you all the way. He has to have the op, so that's a good thing. And just because it's tricky doesn't mean doom and gloom - just means they know about any poss probs (phew) and are ready to tackle them (double phew).

Potentialmadcatlady Sun 19-Feb-17 22:29:27

I have two with major heart conditions.. Neither were going to be neutered/spayed because of anaesthetic risk..in the end the girl had to be because her being in season was distressing her so much...the boy got neutered when they had no choice but to knock him out for a scan so they did both at same time... Very high risk for both of them, they were both home the same day and recovered quickly..modern anaesthetics are so much better..

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 20-Feb-17 15:54:10

How is he?.

cozietoesie Mon 20-Feb-17 22:28:19

How did it go, itty?

ittybittyluna Tue 21-Feb-17 11:49:01

So, the update is that he survived surgery which is a big relief! They removed most of his teeth (bless him, he only has three left). He is bright and sparky today, and despite a clearly sore mouth he is eating well and not making a fuss over his meds.

The bad news is that in the course of their tests they found many things wrong with him. He has CKD, the extent of his kidney disease I will find out on Friday when I take him back for a check up, an enlarged heart which is untreatable, and possible lymphatic cancer (which I will also find out on Friday). They tell us that he is an "elderly gent", and are amazed that our previous vet did none of these tests.

I am obviously quite upset at the diagnosis, but in some ways relieved that we know what we are dealing with and can make sure he is not in pain again. He is an ex-street cat who gets immensely stressed at the vet (to the point that they are usually unable to examine him at all). Hopefully we can manage his CKD with diet, and monitor the rest with the help of the vet.

Thank you all for your support, it really helped.

How is yours Toddler ?

cozietoesie Tue 21-Feb-17 12:34:10

When Seniorboy had his big dental at 16, they removed all the teeth that were left (some had 'gone' of their own accord) bar his fangs and one back tooth which they thought would be OK. With hindsight, I wish they'd just taken the back tooth as well - though in fairness to the vets, he really wasn't expected to live this long so it should probably have seen him out.

Did they estimate your lad's age at all?

I'm so glad he came through the GA, OK. He'll be out of mouth pain now which is the main thing. Dental pain is horrible for humans and I imagine for cats also - though they mask it well.

ittybittyluna Tue 21-Feb-17 13:40:51

Honestly cozie the vet was great. After they sedated him to take blood and an x-ray, and then identified some problems, they called us straight away to advise us to put him under GA with added fluids. The difference post-op was incredible from six months ago. They said he's at least 10 years old.

I am amazed at the difference in him already. He is more affectionate, purring again, food obsessed, and seems generally happier.

How old is Seniorboy now?

cozietoesie Tue 21-Feb-17 14:19:29

22 - and his remaining teeth are no longer pearly-white I fear. wink

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 21-Feb-17 15:08:42

I didn't realise he's now 22 cozie! I was telling DH about him and did him a disservice and said he was only 21!

cozietoesie Tue 21-Feb-17 15:11:52

To be fair, he looks younger. His coat is very pale, a dark coat usually being a giveaway.( In his case, it's the result of snoozing on the electric blanket most of the time. grin)

LanaorAna1 Wed 22-Feb-17 00:25:54

That is brilliant news, esp about the mouth pain. Good luck with the other concerns, you will feel much better when you know the full score.

Don't worry about the poor kitty being nervous at the vet - it does get better. Mr C attacked the vet a few times/had to be sedated etc and now they call him 'such a lovely cat'. And praise the 'softness of his fur'.

I make sure he has a specially nice, if normal day, after a vetting which seems to help. Good luck and congrats to Humphrey the Hero.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 23-Feb-17 11:28:33

He must feel so much better without a sore mouth. Snorg is home from the vets on tube feeds. Seems to be playing hard to catch. Hides as soon as I unwrap a syringe. So I take that as a good sign as she can be an absolute bugger to catch for things. She's eaten a could of dreemies this morning. Some of the food from the bowl in the spare room has gone but not sure if it was her or her sister. Still abut of a mystery as to what her lumps are. Hopefully biopsy results should be back soon. Good luck with your boy. It's an awful feeling isn't it.

LanaorAna1 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:01:39

How are we doing today?

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 25-Feb-17 01:55:46

He has a lot of problems, but he's only 8. Cozie 's seniorboy is a living miracle, but my old girl had major abdominal surgery at 12 and lived until 20.I know he's had his problems, but he could well have some life in him yet.

ittybittyluna Sun 26-Feb-17 17:31:30

So, another update. He went in for his post-op check on Friday with a different vet who incredibly has lots of experience with Latin street cats and very deftly examined old Humphrey (which I may add has never been done without sedation before!) he is healing nicely and we are all in agreement that he must feel lots better and so his tolerance for examination much higher. His bloods hadn't come back so we were told we'd get a call next week to discuss his results.

Yesterday morning I awoke to much scratching at his litter tray and it became immediately apparent that he was struggling to wee and the few drops he was passing were tinged with blood - cue an emergency appointment with our supervet. Poor Humphrey has cystitis and is on medication. Supervet managed to palate his abdomen(!) AND check his mouth.

Unfortunately one of his tests has come back, and he tested positive for FIV sad So his eye, teeth, kidneys, and enlarged heart are all secondary to this, and make sense now we have the full picture. We are devastated, and the vet has made it clear that any care we now give him will be palliative. The best food, extra fluids, and a stress free environment will all be important for him now. It's been something of a sad weekend at our house.

ittybittyluna Sun 26-Feb-17 17:35:22

*palpate his abdomen!

witwootoodleoo Sun 26-Feb-17 17:40:24

I'm so sorry to hear this flowers.

Just wanted to suggest that you try him on Thrive wet kitten food. It's grain free and really good quality and because it is designed for kittens it's good for cats that have sore mouths as it's easier to eat. Mine all go mad for it if they are poorly and turning other food down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now