Talk

Advanced search

I think my cats anal glands have just popped. Can that happen?

(16 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Fri 17-Feb-17 20:46:38

He was on my lap on my old dressing gown doing milk paddling & then the most horrible smell came out of him and there was sticky stuff on his tail and a dark patch on the gown.

His bums not looking sore or inflamed & he's eating well, 5 pouches today.

He's not mad keen on me looking at it. He's washed it all off & tried to lick it off the dressing gown. Actually tried to chew the fabric.

Can anal glands pop?

LivingInMidnight Fri 17-Feb-17 20:48:44

Could it just be mucus?

Brontebiscuits Fri 17-Feb-17 20:50:44

Are you sure it's not a cat bite abscess? They're often on or around the bum/Base of tail area.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 17-Feb-17 20:57:09

It's definitely his anus. I can't see anything weeping confused Last time they swelled up but it's not swollen.

His fight wounds are usually on the head/neck.

Autumnchill Fri 17-Feb-17 20:57:14

My old male cat use to do this if he got over excited such as a bit too much patting on his back or if I stroked him and he wasn't expecting it. He did it once on my pillow and I rolled over and basically stuck my nose in it, my God it stank!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 17-Feb-17 20:59:12

Oh god it can't be semen? I had him done.

Surely semen making stops after that?

Autumnchill Fri 17-Feb-17 21:04:10

It's from the anal glands. Apparently when they poo it presses down on them and that clears them but sometimes it doesn't. Worth just talking to the vets to see if there are any issues but apparently you can empty them yourself. I was never brave enough and he didn't seem to be adversely affected by it.

My youngest will occasionally do what we call a bum run where she'll drag her arse across the rug,my hats another sign that the glands are a bit irritated.

Autumnchill Fri 17-Feb-17 21:04:55

And when I say youngest, I mean cat, not child grin

Vinorosso74 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:05:08

Sorry no advise but am glad it was an old dressing gown!!! Our previous cat (neutered) loved having his belly rubbed and would get a bit excited poking his willy out.....

MissClarke86 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:07:09

It's normal. Their anal glands can get a little blocked (you'll see pinhead sized ducts around the anus) and they "evacuate" them when over excited or stressed. It can be an issue when they get very blocked but vets can squeeze them to sort them out.

Unless her bum looks sore there's no need to worry.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 17-Feb-17 21:08:20

our cat used to do,this when she was younger, she would get over happy when being cuddled then the most revolting smelly stuff would be released from her anal glands.
The ver squeezed them for us and the issue did t return thank goodness.

Autumnchill Fri 17-Feb-17 21:11:51

I just read your OP to Mr Autumn and he said 'Dudley!' (our dear departed cat). He was laughing as he remembers the smell very well!

He then followed it up by telling our youngest to get her bum out of his face (she's a flirt!) grin

TrustySnail Fri 17-Feb-17 21:16:18

Vinorosso74 My neutered male is just the same!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 17-Feb-17 23:00:50

Harry's been known to do that vino' usually when he's washing himself. I'm still mentally scarred from seeing his willy flapping up and down as he washed!

On the subject of anal glands, he went through a stage of doing that as well, once down my winter coat. The only good thing was it gave me the excuse I needed to buy the new coat I'd been eyeing up! That was a long time ago and thankfully it hasn't happened since.

TrustySnail Fri 17-Feb-17 23:16:29

He's curled up next to me now, blissfully unaware that he's been intimately discussed on a forum ...

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 18-Feb-17 11:56:26

Well he seems ok today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now