Talk

Advanced search

Worried about cat - balding, swollen tummy

(10 Posts)
feelinfeline Thu 16-Feb-17 10:45:03

My 4 year old girl has been suffering with increasing patches of baldness over the past 12 months. The vet gave her a steroid injection and the hair eventually grew back. Over the past 8 weeks she's lost more hair and had another injection but this time the hair loss has continued. She's now got a swollen belly and she doesn't seem herself.

In at the vets at 1.20 but in a bit of a panic that it's something serious. Anyone had anything similar?

Thanks.

thecatneuterer Thu 16-Feb-17 11:02:34

I've come across both things but never together. There is no point in us trying to diagnose before she sees the vet. I'm glad you managed to get a quick appointment.Good luck to both of you.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 16-Feb-17 11:15:55

My cat has a huge tummy and I'm
Afraid to say was on deaths door 8 hours ago. Now improving. See poorly Snorgmaiden thread. She's got pancreatitis.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 16-Feb-17 11:17:00

She didn't seem ill, just miserable and cried when picked up. Glad I trusted my instincts though.

feelinfeline Thu 16-Feb-17 11:20:34

@thecatneuterer me, too. She's such a lovely little thing and she's so tiny so the swelling really stands out. I'm clock watching for the vets!

@Toddlerteaplease Oh, I'm so sorry to hear how ill your poor cat is! Glad she's improving. Bo (named after the great president as a lesson in politics that was quickly forgotten by DD) isn't exactly miserable but she's not as needy as normal and isn't keen on me touching her.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 16-Feb-17 11:25:08

Glad I trusted my instincts that just said that something was wrong as soon as I clapped eyes on her when I got in from work. When she let me pick her up without a fuss I knew.

feelinfeline Thu 16-Feb-17 14:12:57

Well we're back from the vets, covered in cat pee and £82 poorer... the vet has shaven her, taken blood (I think just blood) and given her a long term antibiotic injection. Results back on Monday. The cat is now resolutely ignoring me.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 16-Feb-17 14:48:12

That is reassuring but I'm sure you'll be a nervous wreck until you get the results.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 16-Feb-17 14:49:15

I took my poorly ones twin for a check up this morning and got her backside shaved as she keeps getting poo in it. I am not popular!

feelinfeline Thu 16-Feb-17 15:11:09

@toddlerteaplease the vet didn't seem overly concerned but can't explain the balding or the tummy. I'll be happy on Monday if it turns out she's just getting fatter and has alopecia 😂

Oh, no! There's no dignity for these cats is there? Poor Bo had a thermometer up her backside whilst the toddler cried and shouted at the vet "don't do dat!"

Hope you are able to take yours home soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now